The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is waking up early worth it?

Richy Rich

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Sep 29, 2016
I think it depends partly on where you live and the time of the year. I live in a location where the sunrise is very early and that makes it pretty easy for me to get up at 5-5:30am. But when I lived in another city where the sunrise was later, I found it much harder to get up early.

Now I'm getting up earlier, I find my mind is much sharper earlier in the day than it is at night. And I also prefer going to bed earlier because some of the most important sleep occurs between 10pm - 2am.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
I think it depends partly on where you live and the time of the year. I live in a location where the sunrise is very early and that makes it pretty easy for me to get up at 5-5:30am. But when I lived in another city where the sunrise was later, I found it much harder to get up early.

Now I'm getting up earlier, I find my mind is much sharper earlier in the day than it is at night. And I also prefer going to bed earlier because some of the most important sleep occurs between 10pm - 2am.
Sunlight is certainly a factor.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Two great books on this:

Sleep Thieves by Stanley Cohren

And

The Early Bird Gets The Worm by The Bird that got The Worm
Always wondered who started that saying

Ok, one's a spoof, but the other one's really good.
Can't remember which though

Last edited:

Black_Mamba_427

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 6, 2022
When I've got a lot of work on, I find that getting up early (5:30/6:30ish) is best for me, because I can bang out a couple hours of uninterrupted work before my wife and dog wake up. If I try and do work 10-11pm to 1am or so, my wife will want to suggest watching a movie or we will get distracted with something.

Kind of hard to juggle around with my daily routine/schedule though because we both work from home and there's no fixed schedule. Something that I want to work on fixing this year tbh.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I’ve never been able to get to sleep that early. Just feels weird lol.
Yeah it's crazy. And some people who wake up at 04:00am-05:00am, I wonder when they go to bed. 8pm-9pm?

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo

Great point. In Scandinavia, during summers we get sunrise at about 04:45am-05:00am and sunset at about 11:00pm-11:15pm, which does make it harder to go to bed early lol :happy:.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
When I've got a lot of work on, I find that getting up early (5:30/6:30ish) is best for me, because I can bang out a couple hours of uninterrupted work before my wife and dog wake up. If I try and do work 10-11pm to 1am or so, my wife will want to suggest watching a movie or we will get distracted with something.

Kind of hard to juggle around with my daily routine/schedule though because we both work from home and there's no fixed schedule. Something that I want to work on fixing this year tbh.
Sure, it really depends on what fits you and your body the best.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
Yeah it's crazy. And some people who wake up at 04:00am-05:00am, I wonder when they go to bed. 8pm-9pm?
I actually tried 5 am again today. Fell asleep at around 11:30 PM. Really productive morning but I am a bit tired. I will likely need a nap lol. It is nice having my workout and day job work done by 12 PM.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I actually tried 5 am again today. Fell asleep at around 11:30 PM. Really productive morning but I am a bit tired. I will likely need a nap lol. It is nice having my workout and day job work done by 12 PM.
That's good bro. It's actually a good feeling to be done with the main tasks early.

Gina_28

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 17, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
Waking up early is absolutely beneficial. But it is just hard to implement sometimes :) I used to wake up around 5:00 in university and do my homework before classes. And I can say it took less time and efforts than trying to learn something in the evening. Much more effective. So it is worth it.
Unfortunately, I didn`t practice it last couple years, thanks for the reminder, haha

AnasHarn

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 1, 2021
France
There is a good book about this subject, I dont know how scientific it is or if it's total BS, but it talks about chronotypes and the ability to wake up early or stay up late and the habits associated to each chronotype...
I can totaly see it in action, I am an early bird who can wake up early but need to sleep early, my wife on the other side can stay up very late and no wake up early morning routine can suit her lifestyle.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
He had cancer in 2016, likely a result of his hustlecore lifestyle.
David Goggins would jump in an ice-cold lake and swim ten miles after reading that article lol.

And I agree. People who engage in hustle culture usually put rest last and suffer major health consequences as a result. If you're waking up at 3:30 AM to rise and grind but went to bed the night before at 11 PM you're in for a world of hurt.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
There is a good book about this subject, I dont know how scientific it is or if it's total BS, but it talks about chronotypes and the ability to wake up early or stay up late and the habits associated to each chronotype...
I can totaly see it in action, I am an early bird who can wake up early but need to sleep early, my wife on the other side can stay up very late and no wake up early morning routine can suit her lifestyle.
I have to get to bed really early if I am waking up at say 4:00 AM. I got up at 3:30 AM this morning because of my work schedule this week, and I was in bed at 8 PM. I don't know how people stay up late and then get up really early like that.

farouqali

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 16, 2021
Hiya guys, just wanted to hear your thoughts on the matter.

What sparked my curiosity with this is almost all extremely successful people wake up very early(04:00-06:00am), very few of them wake up at 08:00am-10:00am. Personally, I'm someone who loves to stay up late and wake up late. I get most of my things done after 8pm, which means I go to bed usually at 01:00am-02:00am and wake up at around 09:00-09:30am.

Some of the guys in my country who I personally admire advocate waking up between 04:00am-06:00am. They all say that it gives them the mental edge over their competitors which is a great point. It gives some discipline too. But you also got all these life coaches and "gurus" on YouTube who promote it too.

Some doctors say that staying up after 11pm-12am is unhealthy for you because it messes up with your circadian rhytm(your body's natural sleep cycle). It can also mess up with your hormonal levels too.

Plus, it's more natural for us to wake up when the sun comes up.

Any of you who see any benefits in waking up early?
Hey Martin Z,
They say the body needs rest after being active, so it depends with the type of activities you put up most of the day.
Personally i sleep at 9pm and wake up at 2.30 am daily. its part of a routine. i get extra hours before sunrise (I achieve a lot ). I struggle hard when i wish to watch some soccer games which are televised late till early morning.(its a rare case) That's my distraction (Am a Scouser ). I program my important tasks before mid-day. it works for me most of the time.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Waking up early is absolutely beneficial. But it is just hard to implement sometimes :) I used to wake up around 5:00 in university and do my homework before classes. And I can say it took less time and efforts than trying to learn something in the evening. Much more effective. So it is worth it.
Unfortunately, I didn`t practice it last couple years, thanks for the reminder, haha
For sure, because you're in a fresh state of mind when you wake up. Waking up early will also mean less distractions like your phone, messages, friends etc. Which means you become more effective in the long run.

Last edited:

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Don't bears wake up early? :rofl:

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
David Goggins would jump in an ice-cold lake and swim ten miles after reading that article lol.

And I agree. People who engage in hustle culture usually put rest last and suffer major health consequences as a result. If you're waking up at 3:30 AM to rise and grind but went to bed the night before at 11 PM you're in for a world of hurt.
Exactly. What's the point of being successful when you can never enjoy it?

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Hey Martin Z,
They say the body needs rest after being active, so it depends with the type of activities you put up most of the day.
Personally i sleep at 9pm and wake up at 2.30 am daily. its part of a routine. i get extra hours before sunrise (I achieve a lot ). I struggle hard when i wish to watch some soccer games which are televised late till early morning.(its a rare case) That's my distraction (Am a Scouser ). I program my important tasks before mid-day. it works for me most of the time.
Yeah for sure. That's badass man. You just gotta find what works for you :)

Angler

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Sep 9, 2021
LMAO. reminded me of the time I ran everyday in the morning for like 2 months without breaks after reading Goggins. In hindsight, it was one of the dumbest and funniest thing I could've done. To give you background, I was a lifter at the time and never knew running. Like "running" was not even apart of my vocabulary. Following "hustler" culture fed my ego... the personal image of being a "savage" and "a lone wolf" gave me adrenaline like I was off some kind of drug. Atleast, until my ankles gave out and reality throat-punch me one morning. That day I was limping to the bathroom, constipated out of my mind due to a lack of fiber diet. Sitting down and looking at my traumatized shaking feet, that was about to go for a 5 mile run, I knew sh*t had to stop. Or else I might end up not walking in a week or two. That day I learnt what moderation meant. And what blind faith really is.

Maliardo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Mar 25, 2022
Hi all.
Well for me personally it helps to get up early to be more productive and focused.
If I get up let's say at 10, I feel tired and I just do not have much energy and motivation to work and continue my day productively and do everything.
Another thing on weekends, there are people who absolutely always wake up very early, but I am not that person, on weekends I can get up at 10 for example.
To spend time with my loved ones and do my leisurely chores at home.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

I know that it's a joke but David Goggins has been pushing his limits for decades. You don't wake up and kill it all the time. You build your physical and mental resilience. Also, even Goggins acknowledges the need for rest days.

Having said that, most people nowadays are weak and even exercising three times a week is too hard for them and they worry about overtraining (lol).

I think it's the same with work. People can take more work and feel great because they've built up to it. Nobody is saying that you start from zero to working 12 hours a day. And people who criticize those who work 12 hours don't understand that sometimes people who work so much don't see it as work at all. To them, common ways to relax like watching TV would be like work.

I was at the theater yesterday watching Oscar nominated shorts (by the way, most of it was F*cking garbage) and spent there 4 hours. I don't like watching movies (let alone shitty crap like that) so these 4 hours were way more tiring to me than writing for 4 hours.

LMAO. reminded me of the time I ran everyday in the morning for like 2 months without breaks after reading Goggins. In hindsight, it was one of the dumbest and funniest thing I could've done. To give you background, I was a lifter at the time and never knew running. Like "running" was not even apart of my vocabulary. Following "hustler" culture fed my ego... the personal image of being a "savage" and "a lone wolf" gave me adrenaline like I was off some kind of drug. Atleast, until my ankles gave out and reality throat-punch me one morning. That day I was limping to the bathroom, constipated out of my mind due to a lack of fiber diet. Sitting down and looking at my traumatized shaking feet, that was about to go for a 5 mile run, I knew sh*t had to stop. Or else I might end up not walking in a week or two. That day I learnt what moderation meant. And what blind faith really is.

This is a very typical example of people misunderstanding Goggins. I'm glad to hear you didn't F*ck yourself up permanently. Still, this isn't Goggins's fault. He states it VERY clearly in his book:

there is no need for you to find your own impossible task and achieve it on the fast track. This is not about changing your life instantly, it’s about moving the needle bit by bit and making those changes sustainable. That means digging down to the micro level and doing something that sucks every day. Even if it’s as simple as making your bed, doing the dishes, ironing your clothes, or getting up before dawn and running two miles each day. Once that becomes comfortable, take it to five, then ten miles.

I started (barefoot) running a few weeks ago. My first run was just 10 minutes. I keep adding 1-3 minutes to each session and I run just once a week until my body adapts.

Yesterday I ran for 22 minutes which was a 4-minute jump from my last run (I should have stopped at minute 21 but was close to home and wanted to run all the way). I can feel my left Achilles today so I won't run until it recovers (since I'm running once a week, there's plenty of time for that).

Yet, I'm a huge fan of Goggins and from my perspective, I'm doing EXACTLY what he would do. I started at 10 minutes just a few weeks ago. If I keep adding 3 minutes to each run, in just a few months I'll go from 10 minutes to a full hour of running.

My run yesterday was 3.35 km. In no time I'll get to running 10 km in a single session which to me is a lot. And if I decide I like it so much I want to continue, over the years I can probably build it up so that I'll be able to run, say 50-100 km each week. This is how you're becoming your best self intelligently. You don't just go out and run 100 km right away because yes, you're right, you'll destroy yourself.

My point is that you don't become a "savage" overnight. Nobody, not even Goggins, can start a new sport and do it every single day for hours on end without F*cking themselves up.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
I know that it's a joke but David Goggins has been pushing his limits for decades. You don't wake up and kill it all the time. You build your physical and mental resilience. Also, even Goggins acknowledges the need for rest days.

Having said that, most people nowadays are weak and even exercising three times a week is too hard for them and they worry about overtraining (lol).

I think it's the same with work. People can take more work and feel great because they've built up to it. Nobody is saying that you start from zero to working 12 hours a day. And people who criticize those who work 12 hours don't understand that sometimes people who work so much don't see it as work at all. To them, common ways to relax like watching TV would be like work.

I was at the theater yesterday watching Oscar nominated shorts (by the way, most of it was f*cking garbage) and spent there 4 hours. I don't like watching movies (let alone shitty crap like that) so these 4 hours were way more tiring to me than writing for 4 hours.

This is a very typical example of people misunderstanding Goggins. I'm glad to hear you didn't f*ck yourself up permanently. Still, this isn't Goggins's fault. He states it VERY clearly in his book:

I started (barefoot) running a few weeks ago. My first run was just 10 minutes. I keep adding 1-3 minutes to each session and I run just once a week until my body adapts.

Yesterday I ran for 22 minutes which was a 4-minute jump from my last run (I should have stopped at minute 21 but was close to home and wanted to run all the way). I can feel my left Achilles today so I won't run until it recovers (since I'm running once a week, there's plenty of time for that).

Yet, I'm a huge fan of Goggins and from my perspective, I'm doing EXACTLY what he would do. I started at 10 minutes just a few weeks ago. If I keep adding 3 minutes to each run, in just a few months I'll go from 10 minutes to a full hour of running.

My run yesterday was 3.35 km. In no time I'll get to running 10 km in a single session which to me is a lot. And if I decide I like it so much I want to continue, over the years I can probably build it up so that I'll be able to run, say 50-100 km each week. This is how you're becoming your best self intelligently. You don't just go out and run 100 km right away because yes, you're right, you'll destroy yourself.

My point is that you don't become a "savage" overnight. Nobody, not even Goggins, can start a new sport and do it every single day for hours on end without f*cking themselves up.
Couldn't agree more with the overtraining part. It's a myth if you're eating right, getting good sleep, and you know what you're doing with the equipment. Call me fatphobic, but I go to the gym every day at 5 AM for a solid hour and a half lol. Started years ago with once a week, then two, then three, so on. It's about building up mental resilience for sure. Also, I love Goggins lol, he's just hilarious sometimes.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo

I was at the theater yesterday watching Oscar nominated shorts (by the way, most of it was f*cking garbage) and spent there 4 hours. I don't like watching movies (let alone shitty crap like that) so these 4 hours were way more tiring to me than writing for 4 hours.

This is a very typical example of people misunderstanding Goggins. I'm glad to hear you didn't f*ck yourself up permanently. Still, this isn't Goggins's fault. He states it VERY clearly in his book:

My point is that you don't become a "savage" overnight. Nobody, not even Goggins, can start a new sport and do it every single day for hours on end without f*cking themselves up.
For sure. You got to play to your limits. Overtraining is all relative. For someone who's jacked or is a bodybuilder and they've been training for 7+ years, 2 hours 4-6 a week may not be overtraining for them, but it might be for a dude who's just started and it's his first week. Eventually you just build up to it.

Same thing in business. You eventually build up to it and it just doesn't feel like work anymore.

Last edited:

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
Current routine: 6:30am wake up;7am exercise;8am head to work.

During covid, I used to try 6am wake up & start work and it can be quite powerful to do important things thru the dawn. Sets the tone for the day.

Onakosa

"When I grow up I want to be ... "
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Oct 23, 2020
UK

I have this problem too. Husband and I have both been WFH for last couple of years and it's played havoc with my schedule.

Black_Mamba_427

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 6, 2022
I have this problem too. Husband and I have both been WFH for last couple of years and it's played havoc with my schedule.
Let me know if you find a solution. I realised in my post I said we "both" WFH. My wife doesn't really work (on company books though for the obvious reasons) - so it's even MORE distracting haha. Always suggesting pub lunches and what not during the day ha

Move the chains

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Dec 15, 2019
Some (lucky) people just don't need as much sleep as the majority.

I wrestle with this sometimes too. I know I get in the zone with ideas and writing later in the evenings but I'd also like to be up earlier in the mornings.

I think it's finding what works best to optimize your time for producing the results you want to prioritize.

Interestingly, before society has electricity and lights at home/factories, humans used to have two 'sleeps' per night. There was the first stage when the sun had set and people naturally felt sleepy. Then they'd wake up and get a couple of hours to do chores, socialize etc, and then go back to sleep for another sleep.

Wonder if that could work again as people are more wiling to deviate from "society's programming"?

KaligaYo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 28, 2015
Something very interesting I heard the other day on the topic of Goggin's was an Andrew Huberman (Neuroscientist from Standford) talk with a guest. He stated that the way most people attack change is in the order of:

Sensation > Perception > Feelings > Thought > Behavior

What Goggins (And many other people including in this forum) seems to have mastered is a better way to change by running that backward:

Behavior > Thought > Feelings > Perception > Sensation

When we focus on changing our behavior (Taking action and Executing), everything following that seems to fall in line. Rather than reading motivational quotes/videos, searching for answers (sometimes finding excuses), feeling good or inspired, and thinking 'Ok I'm gonna do this, this, and this. And after all of that time we finally 'try' to change our behavior it more often than not fails.

It's very difficult to control the mind with the mind. But if we just 'do' the mind follows.

But back to the topic of sleep timing; I agree with it being an individual thing as far as the timing goes and figuring out what works best for you. Personally, I like waking up at 6 am and going to bed around 10 pm. I try to keep my waking time as consistent as possible and adjust the 'going to bed' time depending on what I'm doing or if I feel like I need more sleep. Far more important to me is the quality of sleep (which can include the length but not necessarily the 'timing'). There's a lot of good information on why sleep is so important not only for cognitive function but pretty much all of the processes of our organ systems, general health, vitality, longevity, etc. So sleep has become extremely important to me.

Two of the main people I've listened to more in the recent years on this topic are: Matthew Walker & Andrew Huberman

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.