The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is there a simple answer to this? Web development.

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 24, 2022
london
Hi everyone! I have recently started freelancing web design part time during my university studies. As it stands, I am currently trying to gain some experience building websites using CSS/HTML and Bootstrap, and I have been doing so by building out some designs for small businesses near me.

The answer to this question is one I haven't been able to find. When I offer my final freelancing designs to a business, I am planning on doing so by giving them access to a private Github repository with all the html/css/pictures that they need to implement my design. However, I am a little concerned that a business may expect me to host it for them and hook it up to a current/new domain. Should this responsibility be a part of my services? as I do not know much about hosting platforms (I have only been using Github Pages) and I am afraid that not doing so may put off some clients if they do not know how to implement my designs into their current or a non-existing hosting platform.

If you think I should be doing more to learn about the hosting of websites for businesses is there any resource or certain topics that may be of particular importance as I learn to do so?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
Hi everyone! I have recently started freelancing web design part time during my university studies. As it stands, I am currently trying to gain some experience building websites using CSS/HTML and Bootstrap, and I have been doing so by building out some designs for small businesses near me.

The answer to this question is one I haven't been able to find. When I offer my final freelancing designs to a business, I am planning on doing so by giving them access to a private Github repository with all the html/css/pictures that they need to implement my design. However, I am a little concerned that a business may expect me to host it for them and hook it up to a current/new domain. Should this responsibility be a part of my services? as I do not know much about hosting platforms (I have only been using Github Pages) and I am afraid that not doing so may put off some clients if they do not know how to implement my designs into their current or a non-existing hosting platform.

If you think I should be doing more to learn about the hosting of websites for businesses is there any resource or certain topics that may be of particular importance as I learn to do so?
you can learn how to do it in a few hours and you can make passive income off of the monthly hosting

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
I am planning on doing so by giving them access to a private Github repository with all the html/css/pictures that they need to implement my design. However, I am a little concerned that a business may expect me to host it for them and hook it up to a current/new domain.

If you are just providing designs, like from Figma, you generally wouldn't be expected to provide hosting.

If you don't offer the full service, you're going to miss out on some business. I closed a website deal this week with a surveying company. Their current website is over 10 years old and looks older than that. They don't know anything about emails, web hosting, domains, etc. If I just hand them the design, then what? They have to find another guy to implement it and take care all of the rest, which means my own service becomes devalued because they have to now pay two people. If I take care of everything, it's worth a lot more to them and saves them the headache.

Hosting/emails/domains is really quite simple, it's worth spending a Saturday morning to learn.

4gus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jan 18, 2023
If you are just providing designs, like from Figma, you generally wouldn't be expected to provide hosting.

If you don't offer the full service, you're going to miss out on some business. I closed a website deal this week with a surveying company. Their current website is over 10 years old and looks older than that. They don't know anything about emails, web hosting, domains, etc. If I just hand them the design, then what? They have to find another guy to implement it and take care all of the rest, which means my own service becomes devalued because they have to now pay two people. If I take care of everything, it's worth a lot more to them and saves them the headache.

Hosting/emails/domains is really quite simple, it's worth spending a Saturday morning to learn.
Agree.

Most of small business owners probably have little knowledge of how to deploy them. Business owners usually focus on how to grow their business and not so much on deciding which web hosting is better. So if you can come in and be their one stop solution, you'll add a lot of value to your service.

Why don't you start a conversation with them. Something like this: "hey, I'm almost done with designing your website, this is what it looks like, etc... Do you need any help with hosting, maintain it or is there any other tech support that you need right now etc.?"
You can also explain that your web design service fee usually doesn't include hosting/ domain/ email, but if they need it, you can do that as well.

As for the skill, you can learn as you go.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Bro people don't want a "design", that's worth like $10.

People want business results. And they want a website to help them achieve the results.

They do not want to "implement" SHIT for themselves. They want you, Mr. Computer nerd, to wave your magic wand and make them a website that "does the cool scroll thing like on apple's site", and someone to "figure out facebook ads" for them.

You can do all the coding and crap yourself or you can focus on actually making money and doing it the easy way.

You can dig dirt with your hands, with a shovel, or with a 40 thousand pound excavator.

Sell them a great site that's optimized for business, send the 50% upfront invoice, get paid, then go get a domain in 5 minutes from a hosting site, get wordpress installed, then the divi theme builder, download a template and put in their copy and photos, and have a great site for them in 1-2 days and collect your $3000 and move on to the next customer.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.