The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Providing value with web development

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

spirit

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 11, 2019
So, I'm at a stage where I'm well-versed at front-end web development. I know HTML, CSS, JavaScript, as well as JQuery and Bootstrap. While I don't know everything, I know I can Google and figure out whatever problem I'm stuck on. I've also been developing pretty decent sites with my own designs, not just using templates.

So, I have a few questions:

1. How can I provide the most value as a front-end developer? I know it's not just about creating "pretty" websites, but helping the respective business owners. I think one thing I can do is learn copywriting and apply it to the content on my sites, to increase conversions.

2. I know this is very "slow lane", but I do want to get a job in my town. My reasoning is primarily financial, and also as a learning experience. How do I know if I'm ready to apply and get a job? I have a small portfolio right now of about 5 projects, which I believe are fairly high quality.

3. How do I help clients the most? As I mentioned, I can create sites and also use copywriting to help sales. But what else can I do?

Thanks! :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

salva101

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 4, 2021
So, I'm at a stage where I'm well-versed at front-end web development. I know HTML, CSS, JavaScript, as well as JQuery and Bootstrap. While I don't know everything, I know I can Google and figure out whatever problem I'm stuck on. I've also been developing pretty decent sites with my own designs, not just using templates.

So, I have a few questions:

1. How can I provide the most value as a front-end developer? I know it's not just about creating "pretty" websites, but helping the respective business owners. I think one thing I can do is learn copywriting and apply it to the content on my sites, to increase conversions.

2. I know this is very "slow lane", but I do want to get a job in my town. My reasoning is primarily financial, and also as a learning experience. How do I know if I'm ready to apply and get a job? I have a small portfolio right now of about 5 projects, which I believe are fairly high quality.

3. How do I help clients the most? As I mentioned, I can create sites and also use copywriting to help sales. But what else can I do?

Thanks! :)
I'm new in the forum but I see that @Fox has covering all of these in his threads here. Check these:
How To Learn Code, Start A Web Company, $15k+ Per Month Within 9 Months
And on Fox signature you will find his free book as well.

(I know you asked about finding a job, but perhaps starting out with freelancing can be one of the ways since you will build a portfolio along the process. And then you can even decide if you really want a job if your freelance business is being successful...)

spirit

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 11, 2019
I'm new in the forum but I see that @Fox has covering all of these in his threads here. Check these:
How To Learn Code, Start A Web Company, $15k+ Per Month Within 9 Months
And on Fox signature you will find his free book as well.

(I know you asked about finding a job, but perhaps starting out with freelancing can be one of the ways since you will build a portfolio along the process. And then you can even decide if you really want a job if your freelance business is being successful...)
I'm going to purchase that book from Fox. Thanks for pointing that out!

I'm still open to any other advice.

Goldfels

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Oct 29, 2020
Let's address each point in detail:

I know HTML, CSS, JavaScript, as well as JQuery and Bootstrap.
Cool. But this isn't what businesses are paying you for. That's not to say that having more coding skills isn't useful it is. I know like 5 other languages besides web-related stuff, *but* that isn't important to a business. Most businesses barely know what HTML even *means*, let alone what it does, nor do they probably have the inclination for you to give them a crash course. This is something Fox warns about in another thread (I'll link it if I can find it). You can't go into this kind of work with a 100% or even 50% technical mindset. You gotta keep it 100% business related when talking with the business, and only engage them with "code-talk" when absolutely necessary. Your code knowledge is really for yourself and yourself alone to know about.

1. How can I provide the most value as a front-end developer? I know it's not just about creating "pretty" websites, but helping the respective business owners.
Yes, it is about helping the business owners. But *what* are you helping them with? What needs improving? What isn't working for them? Where is the most value you can give to them?
All those questions? That's pretty much the definition of business-side sales - ask questions. That, copy, and a little bit of Seth Godin marketing knowledge and you'll go far imo.

2. I know this is very "slow lane", but I do want to get a job in my town. My reasoning is primarily financial, and also as a learning experience. How do I know if I'm ready to apply and get a job?
I don't see why you would possibly need a job right now. You have marketable skills that if you sell them right, you could make a living freelancing until you get a business off the ground.
The only things I've learned from jobs are that bosses are sh*t, wages more so, and given the choice, I'd rather take a voluntary chainsaw lobotomy over a voluntary job. Which kinda lines up with your question.
In my opinion, you're ready to get a job when you *need* the cash and have no other reliable means of getting it through higher paying means.

3. How do I help clients the most?
Every client is different by nature of them being human. Their circumstances are different and their needs are different. While this may be obvious, the underlying truth is that because of this differential nature, inflexible skills, like coding or copy, can only help each client up to a point. You need problem-solving, lateral thinking, and creativity skills that act as frameworks for helping clients. Knowing how to write copy is good. Knowing how to write copy tailormade for a client's specific needs is awesome.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

spirit

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 11, 2019
Let's address each point in detail:

Cool. But this isn't what businesses are paying you for. That's not to say that having more coding skills isn't useful it is. I know like 5 other languages besides web-related stuff, *but* that isn't important to a business. Most businesses barely know what HTML even *means*, let alone what it does, nor do they probably have the inclination for you to give them a crash course. This is something Fox warns about in another thread (I'll link it if I can find it). You can't go into this kind of work with a 100% or even 50% technical mindset. You gotta keep it 100% business related when talking with the business, and only engage them with "code-talk" when absolutely necessary. Your code knowledge is really for yourself and yourself alone to know about.

Yes, it is about helping the business owners. But *what* are you helping them with? What needs improving? What isn't working for them? Where is the most value you can give to them?
All those questions? That's pretty much the definition of business-side sales - ask questions. That, copy, and a little bit of Seth Godin marketing knowledge and you'll go far imo.

I don't see why you would possibly need a job right now. You have marketable skills that if you sell them right, you could make a living freelancing until you get a business off the ground.
The only things I've learned from jobs are that bosses are sh*t, wages more so, and given the choice, I'd rather take a voluntary chainsaw lobotomy over a voluntary job. Which kinda lines up with your question.
In my opinion, you're ready to get a job when you *need* the cash and have no other reliable means of getting it through higher paying means.

Every client is different by nature of them being human. Their circumstances are different and their needs are different. While this may be obvious, the underlying truth is that because of this differential nature, inflexible skills, like coding or copy, can only help each client up to a point. You need problem-solving, lateral thinking, and creativity skills that act as frameworks for helping clients. Knowing how to write copy is good. Knowing how to write copy tailormade for a client's specific needs is awesome.

So what are my next steps? I'm very unfamiliar with freelancing. I ordered Fox's book "$1,000,000 Web Designer Guide: A Practical Guide for Wealth and Freedom as an Online Freelancer". Are there other books you would recommend to gain some knowledge in this subject? I also got Cashvertising, to learn about copywriting.

Thank you for your responses everyone!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.