The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is It Time To Quit Day Job?

JustinTime

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 22, 2016
Hi All,

I'm 24 work for a great company, but it does require traveling about every week (Starting to get old). Average work is probably 45 - 50 hours a week. It does have great benefits below is what I would be giving up by quitting:
  • Cash Pay: 161K
  • Stock: 20K
  • Benefits: 30K (Free healthcare, 9K 401k Match, Insurance, Etc.)
I started a side business in 2013. It's an online tech subscription based service. It's very passive. Maybe 30 minutes a day some days no time. So my day job doesn't really affect this side job. The biggest benefit from a business perspective by quitting my day job would be: ability to advertise at tech user groups, and more time to put into new features, more free time.

My side business income is as shown:
  • 2013: 128K
  • 2014: 249K
  • 2015: 553K
I know this is ultimately my decision. Right now, I'm probably planning to stay at my current job at-least two more years to see if the business keeps growing like it has.

Any thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

M Power

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 3, 2015
Illinois
Hi All,

I'm 24 work for a great company, but it does require traveling about every week (Starting to get old). Average work is probably 45 - 50 hours a week. It does have great benefits below is what I would be giving up by quitting:
  • Cash Pay: 161K
  • Stock: 20K
  • Benefits: 30K (Free healthcare, 9K 401k Match, Insurance, Etc.)
I started a side business in 2013. It's an online tech subscription based service. It's very passive. Maybe 30 minutes a day some days no time. So my day job doesn't really affect this side job. The biggest benefit from a business perspective by quitting my day job would be: ability to advertise at tech user groups, and more time to put into new features, more free time.

My side business income is as shown:
  • 2013: 128K
  • 2014: 249K
  • 2015: 553K
I know this is ultimately my decision. Right now, I'm probably planning to stay at my current job at-least two more years to see if the business keeps growing like it has.

Any thoughts?
You made $550,000 last year doing the "side" biz and you still have to ask? Seems like it would be wrong to stay when you could use all that time to grow more. Idk your specific business or other facts though. But, the free health care and stock options would be nice.

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
You made $550,000 last year doing the "side" biz and you still have to ask? Seems like it would be wrong to stay when you could use all that time to grow more. Idk your specific business or other facts though. But, the free health care and stock options would be nice.
If your numbers are correct I would have probably quit in 2013... assuming you are profiting. :)

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
First off, congrats! You seem like your business is thriving, just by what you have written here.

In my opinion the question you should ask would be, would you be able to grow your business so you would make more money next year then what your company can offer you working full time for a full year. If the answer is yes, which I could assume it would, then yes I would quit your day job and just focus on your business :)

JustinTime

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 22, 2016
Yeah, I think you are right. The nice thing is there really isn't any overhead at all. HealthCare is probably the biggest thing making me think about this more. I need to research healthcare cost if I pay for it all.

JustinTime

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 22, 2016
Yeah the business income is pretty much all income except taxes. There's very little overhead asides from web hosting etc.

If your numbers are correct I would have probably quit in 2013... assuming you are profiting. :)

JustinTime

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 22, 2016
Yeah that's basically my question. I think by presenting the product at user groups and events I could probably increase revenue of my business by my salary. The business by itself without any extra effort has doubled profit each year I've had it. Makes me wonder what I could do if I really buckled down an only focuses on it.

First off, congrats! You seem like your business is thriving, just by what you have written here.

In my opinion the question you should ask would be, would you be able to grow your business so you would make more money next year then what your company can offer you working full time for a full year. If the answer is yes, which I could assume it would, then yes I would quit your day job and just focus on your business :)

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I wouldn't worry about replacing your salary. You already have the cashflow to support yourself from the business. Go get out and market the hell out of that thing and you could probably 5-10x that business income.

Now...to figure out how to get my main business as profitable as your side business...

M Power

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 3, 2015
Illinois
Yeah, I think you are right. The nice thing is there really isn't any overhead at all. HealthCare is probably the biggest thing making me think about this more. I need to research healthcare cost if I pay for it all.
Good luck! Sounds like you're already making moves so I know you'll do great.

CLE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Feb 7, 2016
You are 24 I'm guessing a decent health insurance policy out of pocket is like $500-600 monthly for someone your age. Your salary at your job isn't bad but your side pay is out of this world. I'd quit and run with it man. The world is yours at this point.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
Troll. Why do people make these threads? People who pull these kinds of numbers don't ask these questions or make these threads.

J Perez

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 9, 2016
Troll. Why do people make these threads? People who pull these kinds of numbers don't ask these questions or make these threads.

Exactly what I was thinking, trolling. No one making those kind of figures needs to ask if they still need to wrk at "job"

No proof??? Lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...