The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is "How you do anything is how you do everything" true?

Anything related to matters of the mind

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
This quote has been on my mind for a while, I used to think it was true then thought it's not because there are some things in life you put minimal effort because you don't see the point in putting in the full effort. But now I have done a bit of research, and I have looked at myself and how I perform certain tasks, it seems even things that I like to do I find the easiest way or shortcut way to do it, I get that lazy feeling because when things get boring. What do you guys think about this quote, true or false and why?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
It's a fact, for the most part. The way in which you do things is indicative of your mental framework.

We can all have off days, or occasionally make compromises with ourselves, so there is some wiggle room there, but in general I think it's true.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think it's generally true.

In all the menial jobs I've had, I've always tried to do them the best I could.

But then again, I'm a bit OCD. ;)

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
This comes down to your emotional and mental patterns, your behavior patterns, and whether you're doing something different to achieve a different outcome, or if you're doing the same old thing repeatedly, and getting the same results or outcome. It's kind of like the dog chasing it's tail.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
I personally wouldn't agree with this statement. In fact, back in high school, I had a teacher comment at how I was barely scraping by in one of her classes (on a subject I didn't give a damn about), yet in an extracurricular activity she was the head of, I had won nationwide awards in. So I guess I wouldn't agree with that particular statement.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Hmm so hard so say. Sometimes i feel its justification for me to be lazy lol. But i do guess if say your a lazy person you are likely to be lazy in a lot of things. I was re reading the book the one thing. And it said "success is about doing the right thing not about doing everything right" Don't know if I took it out of context. But I think I'll improve my work ethic on things that I deem important, and things that I see of low priority I'll do the bare minimum. Hopefully this mindset doesn't screw me over lol.

Jared Jammer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 11, 2015
For me, some things I do hyper-focused, with great effort and attention to detail; other things, I half-a$$. It depends entirely on the task's level of complexity and importance, and on my level of motivation.

I'd imagine most people are the same way, and so, no, the saying is almost certainly not true.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
For me personally I do not notice any effect of my thoughts and beliefs on how I do things.
Spent a lot of time wondering why there is this huge disconnect. Probably "The Power of Habit" best explains how my world works.

For people who have made a habit of taking actions based on their beliefs at least the claim that your mental framework is responsible for your actions is true.

What about "How you do one thing is how you do everything"? Not sure I have seen evidence of that.
"The Power of Habit" mentions key habits that can lead to a chain reaction that affects many other habits. Maybe failing to address key habits negates that "rule".
So with the "lazy" person example, I think identifying your key habit and being less lazy in that area might work.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
But I think I'll improve my work ethic on things that I deem important, and things that I see of low priority I'll do the bare minimum. Hopefully this mindset doesn't screw me over lol.
Not sure that is a great way to thnk about it. How much time you dedicate to a task does not determine if you do it right or wrong. Even when you decide to invest as little time as possible for something that is not that important, then you want to bring the same professionalism to the task that you bring to others - then you will get better results.

ljb7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Jun 7, 2014
It all comes down to what you value and how you prioritise accordingly.

I couldn't give a shit about somethings that I need to do and so I do them with less effort. Other things I value greatly and know that I need to do them properly to get to where I want to be. Other things I know I value yet I struggle to do them consistently with enough effort.

It's a game of priorities. Most of us can't do everything we need to do efficiently because it would take too much effort to do it, so we prioritise accordingly.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.