The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

is facebook ads a scam?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
just saw this video from 3 years back so not sure if still applies but wtf!?!?
This is very alarming!!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ljb7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Jun 7, 2014
Nothing new here tbh, the internet is filled with bots, fake accounts etc

Plenty of people killing it on a facebook, consider this another cost of doing business

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
The reason why you get a lot of likes but lower engagement is not because of bots, it's because of poor targeting. If you just do a general broad targeting for a niche product, yes people would just like it because that's what they do on Facebook. But they're never going to engage with you because they probably don't care about what your page is actually about.

Also, it's no secret that Facebook's is organic reach is about 5% and that it is a pay to play system now. Sure, you can get a lot of likes, but that's not really the game anymore. Likes are really only there for social proof.

mayak

PARKED
Apr 26, 2017
UK
They are watching all our activities, scanning our PC browsers , mobile phone our location , like /dislike .
Soon they are going to read our mind as well :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
The reason why you get a lot of likes but lower engagement is not because of bots, it's because of poor targeting. If you just do a general broad targeting for a niche product, yes people would just like it because that's what they do on Facebook. But they're never going to engage with you because they probably don't care about what your page is actually about.

Also, it's no secret that Facebook's is organic reach is about 5% and that it is a pay to play system now. Sure, you can get a lot of likes, but that's not really the game anymore. Likes are really only there for social proof.

what really shocked me was that when the guy targeted ONLY non click farm countries, he still got tons of clicks from click farm countries.

I had no idea facebook allows this...
if i spend 100 bucks promoting a link to my game app and target united states, ill still get lots of traffic from bangladesh or something? and waste money... wtf

nanakir

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Oct 12, 2016
Washington
My experience with FB advertising had some similarities with the story.

I boosted a few posts and promoted the page for my e-commerce pet products site and the likes and follows rolled in. I was skeptical and it seemed to good to be true. The FB analytics revealed that the demographics for all those likes and follows didn't match my anticipated audience. Although unintentional, perhaps my site just appealed to older folks. I'll take responsibility for that outcome.

Based on Google Analytics the FB traffic to my site did come from the US, though the bounce rate was no lower than ~80%. Not good at all.

I couldn't find a built in tool on FB to perform in-depth analytics of what the users that liked and followed my site were about. So, I manually cherry picked from my list of users trying to figure out what they were about, (what their interested were, etc.) . They did seem somewhat interested in pets; to what degree I'm not really sure. It just seemed very broad. Kind of like saying ,"I like to watch TV". It didn't match up with my offerings.

What was really frustrating was when I really focused my ads to match the demographics and my inventory with an offer - something like %50 off your order. The results were "likes" from FB users on my ads - um, what the?!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.