The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is everyone on here in college or high school?

Salinger

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
May 31, 2009
Colorado
It seems like 90% of the posts here are from kids! And they're all sure that they'll soon be dripping money and living large with dozens of houses, exotic cars and ex-wives.

Guess what guys, not everyone is going to hit a home run. Just because you dream about it doesn't mean it will happen for you. Get to work (which is what I should do now). If you're not working yet, learn everything you can.

If you do become fabulously wealthy, please do not go into hyper-consumer mode. It looks tacky, and is a great way to end up back at square one. It's okay to drive a Toyota, live in a modest house rather than a mansion and yet be worth millions. Money should buy personal freedom, not a bunch of crap that eventually ends up owning you.

Just my little rant.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008
I think you have to look at the posters that participate often. I'd say at least 60% are older than college aged. You see alot of younger posters(my age and below) come and go so it probably puts off the appearance that its filled with young people.

Everyone in my mastermind is quite a bit older than me.

BUT Younger people do have a lot of stuff they can bring to the table. What we lack in experience we try to make up with creativity and enthusiasm :)

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
I definitely don't fit into that age group, Salinger! In fact, I've now been out of school longer than I was in it!!

While I agree with you that they should learn everything they can, and spend their eventual earnings prudently, I'm THRILLED that they're here. I love the energy! It reminds me of myself at that age. When I look around at all the refuse that Pop Culture presents as the "norm" today, it just tickles - and greatly relieves - me to see that there are a handful of youngsters out there that are going to be making good choices from the get-go. I don't think anyone here is naive enough to think it's going to be a cakewalk. But if the dream of that flashy car or mansion moves them closer to their goal, then I encourage them to Dream ON! :urock2:

The fact is, IMHO, that the reason there are fewer of us "grown-ups" on here is because many (most?) of them have stopped dreaming and just decided that life has dealt them all it's going to deal.

Bama

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 4, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Guilty as charged...
Seeing that this is only my second post I wouldnt dispute the fact that there are tons of younger people entering and exiting the forum, but from my experience, the actual content in the forum is mostly driven by those who are quite experienced, both knowledge and age-wise -- as evidenced by the top posters.
But the fact that people lose their dreams as they get older rings true-- absolutely not saying that everyone becomes that way, but its a general trend that I find people always say-- "Oh, I used to dream and have big ideas when i was your age..." well why did they ever stop?!
Youth may bring inexperience and to a degree some naivety, but as already said it definitely has its perks of creativity and boundless energy. Turn those into work and youre heading in the right direction!

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
All I get from this post is someone that doesn't believe they can achieve something so they try to put a mental blocks on other (preferably teenagers\young adults). Do you think you're doing people a favor by telling them that they will not achieve their highly set goals? Or does it just bother you that people found out what they wanted to do at a younger age then you and now you wish you had that time back? Kind of a jealousy issue.

I don't think I've seen anyone (on here) brag about all the things that they will have when they are successful. I've seen people talk about what they want to reach but not be arrogrant about it, simply stating what they want (will!) achieve.

Many of the younger consistent posters here seem to have 1 or 2 "large" purchases they want and then they will value being about to use their time how they want. For the most part I'd say that the people that post frequently are quite level headed. Perhaps you saw a few people who posted with only one or two previous posts. Half the time you can expect to never see them again because they realize they have to read, and actually work to achieve something!

Again, this sounds more like a way to put down people that have large goals. It will not effect you in the least bit whether they become extremely rich or if they starve to death. Unless of course they make a product you buy. ;)

Btw, I'm one of the younger people here, I'm 19. Although I'm technically neither a high school or college student. Let me guess I'm going to be an utter failure because I dropped out of college to pursue *real* education?

<rant />

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I definitely don't fit into that age group, Salinger!

And to think i thought you were 25 from your looks :) (hides from BoBo!)

salinger, trust me when i say that most of the younger folk here are a bit more level headed and focused then what you would typically see on a forum. There is nothing wrong with being a dreamer if you are focused and planning, as you start reaching that goal you really see the EARNED value of it and the material things go by the wayside.

This is why you see people that come into it blow it everywhere. They have no earned value its just numbers to them.

You find a $100 bill on ther ground, its easy to blow on something. but you sweat for 8 hours for that same bill, it sure is a lot harder to go throw it at somethnig meaningless all the sudden.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Meh; a lot of talkers, some doers, and a few who have made it.

There is some fantastic content on the RE side if you look.

Yes I am just about to finish school, and sorry I'm just a beginner. I only have two RE deals going right now. A new house closing at $372k next week, and another thats going on the market very soon for $325k.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Meh; a lot of talkers, some doers, and a few who have made it.

There is some fantastic content on the RE side if you look.

I would say its pretty even a far as this place as a whole, doer's dont have near as much time to post here. tons of good info in e-biz, legendary threads, and some general convos around too if you dig.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I only read the RE and general business forums, so I can't comment on the E biz side.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I only read the RE and general business forums, so I can't comment on the E biz side.

i gotcha, that's why i am commenting on it. Anyway you look at it, if this forum sucked i wouldn't pop in here and burn valuable time.

czach41

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Oct 11, 2007
Denver
Salinger,

Am I supposed to "dream" of working my current 9-5 and driving my '86 volvo wagon for the next 10 years??

One of the 1st steps to being successful is believing.. knowing that its possible. Sounds like you are criticizing people for taking that step.

Most people here are aware of the hard work it takes, as its evident in the success stories of people like MJ and Cantwait2.
I'm 23 by the way.

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
941%
Jun 7, 2008
I would normally rant, but it's late and I won't waste my breath on what I would consider an ignorant post like the first one in this thread. I'll keep it short and sweet, forget the details.

I am 19. I have had three successful small companies already. I work my a$$ off. Have a 3.8GPA at a Big Ten University. I am currently situating myself in a pooled investment apartment deal. I've made $1500 in the last three weeks, and have much more away in savings. I love sharing my ideas here and building off the criticism of others. I also like helping others with the knowledge and experience I have when they have questions.

What have you done, Salinger, that allows you to preach for the young to throw out their dreams? This is technically what you are saying. Not everyone shares the same beliefs as you. Maybe YOU don't want Lamborghinis and Mansions, but for those enthusiasts and connoisseurs who do, let them be.

It is people like you who motivate me even more. Technically, I should be thanking you, but I will hold my thanks for when I am at the top looking down and helping the other ambitious kids who have dreams. Without dreams and hopes, what do you have?

Tell a young Einstein, Gates, Jobs, Buffet, Carnegie, Rockefeller, etc. not to dream. They would have payed as much attention to you as an atheist listens to Christian radio.

Post again when you have something constructive to add to this wonderful site.

(So much for not ranting.)

Thanks,

G_Alexander

PS. Not being hostile as I love this site for the friendships I have developed. Just standing up for the "kids" here who contribute and put time and effort into their posts.

And Salinger, if I offend you I am sorry in advance, but I am responding to what you wrote in the way that I felt about it.

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
Someonesss making a lot of enemies all of a suddennn. :smx4:

I think Salinger will come on here and rephrase and elaborate on a lot of what he had to say though...I don't think his post was necessarily meant to offend anyone.

I'm only 22 by the way, so I fall into the group his "rant" targeted as well. I, for one, love all the young, creative, minds we are starting to collect on this forum. I even believe some of these people might team up in the future and do some great things because of the interaction on this forum. Keep dreaming everyone!

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Someonesss making a lot of enemies all of a suddennn. :smx4:

I think Salinger will come on here and rephrase and elaborate on a lot of what he had to say though...I don't think his post was necessarily meant to offend anyone.

I don't think he's making enemies, just people don't agree with what he said. I for one don't feel any different about him even though I don't agree with it (as shown).

Also, if it's a matter of lack of elaboration or just didn't phrase it right I don't see why most people would still be offended.

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
Here's a different take.

The difference between the folks at the top of the heap, the guys in the middle and the guys at the bottom is tied very closely to their expectations.

Never let someone tell you "Guess what Kid, life sucks and you will probably lose". More often than not you'd be letting someone else's failures, disappointment and bitterness drag you down.

Life is only 30% hard work, by far the biggest factor is attitude.

It is entirely possible that my annoyingly cheerful, positive and upbeat attitude is way off base and in reality I have monumental failure and disappointment ahead. If so, well - screw it. I'm optimistic, I think we need MORE HS and college kids on here, I think the whole damned problem with this world and country is attitude.

The great philosopher Anthony Soprano Sr. was talking to his son in the last season. Tony Jr. was going on about the many ills of the world and how nobody was doing anything to stop the acid rain from killing the Koala bears cousin in Mozambique or some damned thing and Tony Sr. made a brief and poignant speech in which he offered the following wisdom:

"Whining like a little bitch ain't gonna fix it neither"

Words to live by my friends, stay thirsty.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Great post Alex, really hits the nail on the head and I've mentioned it numerous times that I LOVE the fact that we have many young dreamers on here, some of which, like yourself, are already doers, something not everyone can say(I know I've been doin too much talking and not enough doing :nonod:).

I also mentioned in a post a few days back on the College Thread about how I almost fell into the rat race for good and really what got me to the point I'm at in life(saddled by debt and working 9-5 to remain in a "comfort zone" where my monthly bills are paid, but still not making progress on the big picture of complete financial freedom) was to do what I was told/assumed was the "correct" path in life instead of what I really wanted to do and when I see young dreamers already starting companies it really brings a tear to my eye as "when I was your age" I knew I always wanted to be my own boss and start my own company, but always had that "you have to pay your dues" or "I'll get my degree and work a few years before I start my own business because I don't have the money/experience to do it now" attitude.

Granted I have already run one business, it was a franchise that I had acquired and really I was more of a "manager" than a founder/starter and when I closed it down I wasn't prepared to start a new business and now I find myself a little over a year later working the 9-5 grind that I wanted to avoid.

But enough about that, having dreams and motivations are exactly what the fastlane is about(not dreaming of making someone else rich and driving a rusty old beater as Cody mentioned :smxB:) and don't let anyone discourage you, if anything this thread should go down as a reminder of the "Yes we can!" attitude we should all have(not just fastlaners) and be as they say in sports, "bulletin board material" that gets us fired up to perform at our best :coolgleamA:

Salinger

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
May 31, 2009
Colorado
I was very interested to see the responses this would generate. Thanks everyone for all the posts. Only two of you got defensive. The rest of the posts, I would say, really focused on emphasizing the positive side - praising the enthusiasm of youth, and why it's good to be a dreamer. I like that. This is a good group here.
:yourock:

At 41, I still fall into the "big dreamer" category. It's the way I've been all my life. And it drives my wife, who is all about "security" (or the illusion of it), absolutely nuts. I've worked for a 9-5 salary only twice in my life - a total of five years. The rest of the time I have been making my own way. Money has been quite good at times, not so good other times. She'd be happier with slow and steady though. Actually, my wife has come a long way in accepting that it's just the way I'm wired and can't do anything about it.

Later in life, it becomes more challenging to dream really big without seeing all of the potential roadblocks and pitfalls. On one hand, I miss the days of youth when the hugeness of my dreams was completely unconstrained by reality. There were no limits. I still dream bigger than most, but years of experience have reduced the scope significantly. I might still make $100 million, but $10 million is more believable for me right now. Perhaps it has to do with how the perception of time (and money) changes as you get older.

One message I was trying to get across is that while having the dream is fantastic, it's not going to fall in your lap just because you dream it. You absolutely need to have a plan, focus on it, and work your a$$ off. I guess I just saw one too many young posters announce "I know I'm going to be super rich" in the same post that shows they have no plan and total ignorance of something basic and essential to making money. I realize there's always time to learn what you don't know. As I said, "learn everything you can." Some things you can learn by asking questions, some you can learn by studying, and some you just have to learn through failure. Part of being successful is learning what not to do, right? You need to be ready for the possibility of failure, deal with it, and start in again down a new road to your dream.

My rant/warning on consumerism relates directly to motivation. If your motivation to become wealthy is the acquisition of "cool stuff," your passion will likely fade quickly. "stuff" is not very fulfilling in and of itself. If your motivation is to make some sort of difference in the world, some contribution to society, that passion can stay alive and motivate you for the rest of your life. Most of us are likely somewhere in between. We can make a difference for some people by solving a problem, but we want to solve the lucrative problems. That's okay. I just believe that it is important to have a big "why" that keeps you motivated. If you can define a "why" for yourself that is bigger than all of the material possessions you can imagine, you will have an intense drive to succeed.

Also, rich people have money. If you want to stay rich don't spend all of your money on stuff. Then you don't have it any more. You might still have the stuff, but unless it's an appreciating asset, you have mostly just reduced your net worth by spending. Heck, houses don't even fall into that category any more.

It wasn't my intention to make enemies. I knew my post would rile up a few people. Honestly, after I wrote it, I almost didn't post it. Then I said, what the heck, let's see how this goes over here. I was curious to see the responses. I was impressed. Fastlaners do a good job of standing up for themselves and others. Most even did it without becoming defensive or resorting to personal attacks. As I said earlier - I think there are a lot of good people on here. I certainly enjoy reading the posts. In fact, I spend far too much time here when I should be working on business (as I have just now). I hope this elaborate elaboration makes my position better understood.

For all you young guys: Keep dreaming and working to achieve those dreams. Who knows, someday I may throw in the towel and end up working for one of you - but not yet.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.