The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is cold calling worth it?

ManlyMansNegator

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 29, 2018
Australia
i have called quiet a few buisnesses offering people counters and most immediately seem annoyed just for calling them.Do people just distrust telemarketers?

I have gotten 2 leads from this but thats after 200 calls on a specific franchise, i do not think i can run a business with 1% calling back.How do you guys get your names out there?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
What's your pitch?
Are you familiar with tonality?
Why are they hanging up?
What's your product offering?

Also, 1% could be amazing for cold calling; just matters what industry you're in and what the product/service is. Not all offerings are efficient to sell via cold calling.

ManlyMansNegator

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 29, 2018
Australia
What's your pitch?
Are you familiar with tonality?
Why are they hanging up?
What's your product offering?

Also, 1% could be amazing for cold calling; just matters what industry you're in and what the product/service is. Not all offerings are efficient to sell via cold calling.
Most hang up by saying "not interested" or they instead say "sounds interesting email me"

Product offers to help them manage their store much more effectively.I am selling people counters.

I keep a low pitch and conversational tone.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Are you getting the decision maker on the phone, or the first random person?

I'd warm up the leads via cold email and then give them a call.

Then on your website I'd have a video detailing the value proposition and how people counters are beneficial to the user.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
If you are just trying to sell them a people counter... picking up the phone with some random person on the other end talking about a people counter..... lots of people are brushing you off before they even realize what the heck a people counter is.

You need to be selling.... a positive retail customer experience, optimizing store performance and assessing the impact of marketing campaigns. Sell what it does, not what it is. Sell them on what all it can do to benefit their business. Busiest hours, days, security, how to make customer service better and so-on. I realize you can't get all of that in a 10 second pitch before they cut you off but think of some way to better explain it within the fastest time possible.... and without talking fast or fast talking. ;)

Funny thing, my wife works at a very high class and one of the richest museums in the country and they have one of the guards stand by the door and use a hand counter. lol I have always laughed to myself.

Last edited:

superb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Sep 8, 2013
i have called quiet a few buisnesses offering people counters and most immediately seem annoyed just for calling them.Do people just distrust telemarketers?

I have gotten 2 leads from this but thats after 200 calls on a specific franchise, i do not think i can run a business with 1% calling back.How do you guys get your names out there?

People do distrust telemarketers. And often the people are either busy running the business or annoyed that you interrupted their facebook binge. I am in charge of marketing for a small company. I'm usually quite busy. I often get calls from people trying to sell us their services. Within a few words I know I'm not interested because I have not heard any of the "keywords" related to problems that we need solving. I quickly end the call. In other instances (rarely), I hear a keyword or two and while I'm still looking to end the call because I've got plenty of things to do, I'll listen to hear what else they have to say. They greatly increased their chances of a sale.

You need to identify the potential "pain points" that your product would solve and get that into your first sentence before you begin to share your solution.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Dude,

I started my journey 2 years ago. Being Deaf myself, cold calling doesn't seem like an option for me, the only way i can do this is have a 3 way converstation with an interpeter in the middle thats voicing what I say.

That being said, I explored many different options from cold email, facebook page messaging, direct mail, google adwords (this one is solid in terms of scale)..

To get started, I still do cold calling, even today, when I see my pipeline getting low, I dont have people lined up in the next month for a payment. I am picking up that f#$%ing phone and dialing... practice, practice, and practice.. Learn about the questions you need to ask, learn about how to direct the conversation to give yourself leverage, learn how to justify the sale price, learn how to close the sale...

If a guy like me can close 2 sales last month over the phone for a website, you have no excuse when you have ears and can actually call them directly and gauge your converstation..

Pick your phone up and call for 2-3 hours straight for 5-6 days a week. Practice produces results.

ManlyMansNegator

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 29, 2018
Australia
Ok so the key advice i got from this:
1. It's hard but everything in buisness is hard so keep doing it.
2.It will get easier by practise.
3.Talk about the benefits of the people counting instead of the product.
4.Cold calling isnt shit you are just shit at cold calling.
Ok so this cold calling feels like verbal instant copywriting. I will try to call more people.

Thanks alot guys

ManlyMansNegator

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 29, 2018
Australia
Dude,

I started my journey 2 years ago. Being Deaf myself, cold calling doesn't seem like an option for me, the only way i can do this is have a 3 way converstation with an interpeter in the middle thats voicing what I say.

That being said, I explored many different options from cold email, facebook page messaging, direct mail, google adwords (this one is solid in terms of scale)..

To get started, I still do cold calling, even today, when I see my pipeline getting low, I dont have people lined up in the next month for a payment. I am picking up that f#$%ing phone and dialing... practice, practice, and practice.. Learn about the questions you need to ask, learn about how to direct the conversation to give yourself leverage, learn how to justify the sale price, learn how to close the sale...

If a guy like me can close 2 sales last month over the phone for a website, you have no excuse when you have ears and can actually call them directly and gauge your converstation..

Pick your phone up and call for 2-3 hours straight for 5-6 days a week. Practice produces results.
Jesus
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
A lot of my money proves that calling someone you don't know can be very profitable.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana

If that sounds hard to you, it's because it is. There's a reason why a few individuals can push through and commit.

But that's the harsh reality, it's not hard to do at first. But day in and day out is the hard part and will require alot of resolve.

Good luck

ManlyMansNegator

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 29, 2018
Australia
If that sounds hard to you, it's because it is. There's a reason why a few individuals can push through and commit.

But that's the harsh reality, it's not hard to do at first. But day in and day out is the hard part and will require alot of resolve.

Good luck
Yea dude that hit home.Excuses are for the weak.

Thank you for the pep talk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.