The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is Click-baiting a part of Copywriting?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Several years ago, when I would binge-watch youtube, I would end up clicking clickbait videos because they triggered my curiosity. Is click-baiting a vital part of copywriting?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Only if the follow-up content is actually relevant. Something like “SEX” may get you to open the link, but if the content is totally unrelated, it won’t do any good.

Think about using a hot girl for the thumbnail of a video that markets your SEO software. Many men will probably click, expecting to see more of the hot girl, only to be disappointed. If you disappoint your readers/viewers they will dislike you, and that’s not good.

So maximum RELEVANT clickthrough rate is what you’re going after.

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020
"Start with an earthquake... and build your way up to a climax" (Sam Goldwyn)

If part of a good story (or funnel) and provides quality content/value, then why not?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
Clickbaiting is to copywriting as whipping out your dick is to seduction. It will gain attention for sure but it's unlikely to lead to any substantial results.

If you need to rely on gimmicks to generate interest in whatever you have to sell, then you have a problem with your offer, not your copy.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
If you need to rely on gimmicks to generate interest in whatever you have to sell, then you have a problem with your offer, not your copy.
For example, I get a client with a crappy product? Do I, tell him in the face that your product isn't useful and the copy won't be effective? How do you deal with these kinds of people?

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
For example, I get a client with a crappy product? Do I, tell him in the face that your product isn't useful and the copy won't be effective? How do you deal with these kinds of people?

You don't.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Aug 13, 2018
Yes, I would tell the client to his face, "Your offer is weak, and no amount of copywriting is going to be able to overcome that."

Let's say that the client is selling a beverage, but the beverage is actually urine.

The client isn't getting any sales.

Why?

Because they don't have product-market fit.

NOT because their product needs a better copywriter.

But sometimes, the client thinks, "Hey, this stuff isn't selling. Let me solve this with better copywriting."

So the client approaches you as a copywriter.

At that point, you have two choices:

1) Hold your nose and take the project and do the best you can to lie your way through the copy and scam people into buying pee.

Or

2) Tell the client, "Dude. You're selling PEE. You've got massive other issues to correct. I can't help you."

The copywriter has the skill of writing persuasive messages.

But it's the copywriter's choice whether to engage that skill for any given project.

You can either be an order taker... Sell your soul to whatever garbage products you don't believe in...

Or you can be a trusted consultant who works with clients who are obeying CENTS and who gives your clients valuable insights into what they can do to grow their business and sell their stuff.

Noo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Apr 21, 2018
Clickbait is part of copywriting, yes.
But you can't abuse on the amount of clickbait you do, and on the outrageous lies you tell.
See what your direct competitors are doing and take notes on what it works for them, and what not. If it works for them, don't be ashamed of using it. People aren't predictable, tho, but is the best shoot you have.

But if it's only clickbait and it doesn't deliver value (whatever that really means, because it's hard to measure) to your audience, it's basically shit.
So, try and error, and don't be ashamed of doing what your competitors are doing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.