The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Irritation

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
These past months I have been registering any domain that came into my head. I figure it is like buying cheap undeveloped land and I can always develop it in the future.

I have always use 1and1, been with them for years and never a problem. Well I put one in and it was available, went through all the steps, and today the tell me it was already taken. I already had someone set up to run with this. grrrrr. Ok, I am done venting.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
I know how you feel. Creating and registering domain names can be annoying at times. I remember one time after weeks of brainstorming and seeing if names were available to register I finally found one that I was happy with. So the next day I went to register it and it was no longer available. Someone had registered in the middle of the night.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
The annoying thing is, I learned my lesson about a year ago about searching for a name and registering later. So I always register immediately after searching. The process may have taken 5-10 minutes as I surfed while pages loaded. So in that time, someone snuck in and took it. ggrrrrrrr.

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007
That sucks.

Maybe use a lesser known registrar to do searches, and then buy with your normal registrar. I've heard the larger registrars have "scavengers", just like you experienced.

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
That's cool Tom. Thanks for the link. Question, if you have something registered that someone else wants, what is the negotiation process? How do they find out who t is registered to?

Greg

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Love that website, apto! I just found out that the guy who owns JesseO.com is really a Jesse G.! Interestingly, the guy who owns SteveO.com is a Steve G. as well..... in any case, thanks for the site! rep ++

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
Love that website, apto! I just found out that the guy who owns JesseO.com is really a Jesse G.! Interestingly, the guy who owns SteveO.com is a Steve G. as well..... in any case, thanks for the site! rep ++

No problem!!!

(You can call me Tom)

Tom
www.aptohosting.com
1-866-404-9090

6.0_bull

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Nov 27, 2007
I use Godaddy.com and they seem to be very reliable and proffesional however they do try to up sell you on a million more services witch is all optional of course ...

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
These past months I have been registering any domain that came into my head. I figure it is like buying cheap undeveloped land and I can always develop it in the future.

I have always use 1and1, been with them for years and never a problem. Well I put one in and it was available, went through all the steps, and today the tell me it was already taken. I already had someone set up to run with this. grrrrr. Ok, I am done venting.

Wow you are me 3 weeks ago. The problem as i so aptly figured out, 1and1 takes days to actually register your name with ICANN. what happened to me, i got some domain names and then tied them up in a deal the day after, a 20k deal..... then i get an email on sunday that my registrations were rejected because of my phone number,(i already had 30-40 names with them and never had a problem in the past). so i call tech support.... INDIA! go figure when i first started with them they were great now they are starting to suck.

SO i got the manager on duty after i wqas told there was no such thing and told that india doesnt care if i cancel my business accounts. he said you have to call our transfer office to get it completly canceled and rebuy the names then. otherwise it would take 10 days to clear. well what if the other party of the deal was checking the whois and relized i didnt have them... ten there goes the whole deal! meanwhile i had replied to the original email about cancelling which i guess goes to IT at their PA office and after hours of phone service in India. i get an email back from PA that says the whois is clear 1and1 will hold it internally. basically he was telling me i can get them elsewhere without saying that since he cant do that but wanted to help. so i got the ones i needed from godaddy right then and it was either instant or atleast it was garunteed. LOL

sorry for the long story it was a bad day that day.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Question, if you have something registered that someone else wants, what is the negotiation process? How do they find out who t is registered to?

When I come across a registered name that I might like, if I don't feel like negotiating and I have a hunch that the current owner may just let it expire, I'll pop over to my account at http://www.snapnames.com/ and put in a "back order" for the domain. Even if it comes available 6 months later they will attempt to grab it for you.

If the domain is in demand (ie. has valuable links or keywords in it) you may end up in a bidding situation, but I have grabbed a couple good domains without any other bidders using this service, including my own name, which I waited over 2 years to get.

I should add that with Snapnames you can load up hundreds of domains and you only pay a fee if they acquire it for you, so anything I find i just toss it in there and I get a nice surprise a couple months later if I get the domain.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.