Ok so this thread is mostly aimed at @Rearden , but anyone is welcome to comment.
I have an idea that I won't go into the specifics about (I'm not planning on patenting) but I can say that its a consumer good (an accessory) related to the automotive industry .
It's fairly simple, but it does involve moving parts and a few different materials. I've done a lot of research into inventing a product (and i've read "One Simple Idea", but don't plan on licensing currently), so I know the basics, but I would like some advice on how to actually excecute.
Here's my situation: I work for a small, full service marketing agency, and I've been here since I graduated in may 2019. I now have sufficent experience in the majority of areas of marketing, so marketing the product will definitely not be a problem.
I have about 8k in liquid cash, but also about 7k in student loans. My current plan is to work for maybe another year until I have enough saved up to pay off the loans completely and have some left over to invest in the design/engineering of the product as well as buying inventory.
I've heard some manufacturing companies will work with inventors to help design the product, but I don't know to what extent that is true. I'm also unsure whether I'll need to hire a firm to help design/engineer the product. I know pretty much exactly how I want it to work, and I've started designing it in SketchUp, but I would imagine I need some kind of official design with precise measurements, exact materials, etc.
My main questions are:
-Does my plan sound like a good idea, or should I immediately pay off my loans to avoid any interest? OR should I stretch out paying them off as long as possible since the IR is low. (4 or 5 %)
-To what extent do manufacturers help you design the product, if at all?
-How exact does the design need to be for a manufacturer to produce your product?
-Would a design firm be a good investment for a simple to moderately complex product? (Getting the design right is very important)
-Any other suggestions for me?
Thanks!
I have an idea that I won't go into the specifics about (I'm not planning on patenting) but I can say that its a consumer good (an accessory) related to the automotive industry .
It's fairly simple, but it does involve moving parts and a few different materials. I've done a lot of research into inventing a product (and i've read "One Simple Idea", but don't plan on licensing currently), so I know the basics, but I would like some advice on how to actually excecute.
Here's my situation: I work for a small, full service marketing agency, and I've been here since I graduated in may 2019. I now have sufficent experience in the majority of areas of marketing, so marketing the product will definitely not be a problem.
I have about 8k in liquid cash, but also about 7k in student loans. My current plan is to work for maybe another year until I have enough saved up to pay off the loans completely and have some left over to invest in the design/engineering of the product as well as buying inventory.
I've heard some manufacturing companies will work with inventors to help design the product, but I don't know to what extent that is true. I'm also unsure whether I'll need to hire a firm to help design/engineer the product. I know pretty much exactly how I want it to work, and I've started designing it in SketchUp, but I would imagine I need some kind of official design with precise measurements, exact materials, etc.
My main questions are:
-Does my plan sound like a good idea, or should I immediately pay off my loans to avoid any interest? OR should I stretch out paying them off as long as possible since the IR is low. (4 or 5 %)
-To what extent do manufacturers help you design the product, if at all?
-How exact does the design need to be for a manufacturer to produce your product?
-Would a design firm be a good investment for a simple to moderately complex product? (Getting the design right is very important)
-Any other suggestions for me?
Thanks!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
