The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Introverts as Entrepreneurs

Anything related to matters of the mind

SSimz

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 21, 2015
Canada
Hi Fastlaners,

I have recently taken the first few steps to entrepreneurship (I have read TMF and have been brainstorming ideas for different internet businesses); however one of the biggest issues I can see holding me back from building a successful business in the future is being an introvert.

While I do see the benefits of being an introvert as an entrepreneur such as being self confident, hard working and strategic; I currently dread social interactions, public speaking and working with others.

I was wondering if some members of community have had these same issues and if so, how did you overcome these challenges. If they are currently any books you would recommend please feel free to list them as well.

Thanks
SSimz

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada
I was in a similar situation about a year ago. It was tough to believe I could sell anything, or would have to haggle with another person (*shudder*).

About a year has passed and I'm not even thinking twice when I haggle on Craigslist. I flip items on a daily basis now, and it's one of the easiest ways to get familiar with the sales process, and expand your comfort zone. There's nothing more discomforting than driving over to a strangers' house. But, after a while, you get used to it

I would suggest to start slowly giving the world a taste, there's so much you can learn from regular people. Stuff that books can't tell you. Start just by saying "hey" or "morning" to people you walk past. Not a big deal, who cares if they don't respond. I guarantee 100% of them will say hello back, or at least smile (Cause they will be caught off-guard by your niceness). Next time you're standing next to an old dude, ask him how his day is going. I promise you'll learn something.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
I had huge issues with this in the past, couldn't even talk on the phone with a person I didn't know, heart beating like crazy, shaking etc. I then heard a story of a former "colleague" coming to work on a sledge in the winter, because she had a small car accident 30 years ago and I thought to myself: "WTF this is ridiculous. How can you be so controlled by your fear?" Then it hit me like a ton of bricks, I too was controlled by this fear of calling people on the phone.

I then tackled the fear by putting things into context. What is the best that could happen, what is the worst and does it matter a week/month from now?

You'll find that nearly everything has basically unlimited pros and very few limited cons which most of them not mattering after just a week. If you're consistent with this, you'll soon find it impossible to not do things you fear.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
I was wondering if some members of community have had these same issues and if so, how did you overcome these challenges. If they are currently any books you would recommend please feel free to list them as well.

There's no challenge to overcome. Some of the biggest entrepreneurs in the world are introverts, so don't hang onto it as an excuse or bother reading books, reinforcing and training yourself to believe you have a problem that isn't a problem at all. When you're in the middle of building a business and you NEED to make a phone call or go meet up with someone to grow it, trust me, the call will be made and the meeting will happen. You don't have to be James Bond right now, just worry about building whatever it is you're building, the rest will work itself out.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
I honestly believe this introvert shit is just bullshit.
We are shaped by our experiences. Those experience mold your identity, what you think you are. You get embarrassed in middle school, and suddenly hey, I'm not a guy who likes to be at the center of attention. But are you really? You have shitty company so you prefer to read a book rather than talk. Hey, I'm an introvert, what are you gonna do? But are you really?
I always thought I was an introvert. Turns out, I'm excellent at dealing with people and I really, really enjoy it. I just never did it before, and I didn't even know I missed it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you are what you do. If you never developed a certain skillset it's going to come hard when you start it. Then it becomes part of your identity. Saying that you are an introvert assumes that being different than that goes against your core nature, which is a defeatist attitude.

blackbrich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern USA
I think a lot of people conflate introversion, shyness, and general dislike of people into one thing and call it introverted.

You can be all three separately.
Me personally am all three to a degree. Shyness is really the only one that is an actual problem.

If the thought of being in front of people, speaking with people, or doing something that involves others, especially people you don't know makes you anxious, then that would be shyness. That's a problem, but its also something that can be worked past.

If the thought of being in front of people, speaking with people, or doing something that involves others, especially people you don't know doesn't make you anxious, but you would rather not do it. That's probably introversion and there's nothing wrong with that. As long as you can put your feelings aside for your greater good, then you're fine.

If the thought of all of that makes you tired and angry. You may just hate dealing with people to a certain degree. Or small talk about things you view as unimportant. Same as with introversion, as long as you can put your feelings aside its no problem.

AndreHimself

Goat Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
May 12, 2015
LA
Before I read The Millionaire Fastlane , I would google "careers for introverts" and many different versions of it such as "Introvert careers, jobs for introverts, best introvert jobs, etc." and always thought I was stuck with only the list of careers that came up. I kept trying hoping one day I would find a new career that I would actually like to do. I knew deep down that 1) these careers weren't for me, and 2) I hated being limited and told I could only do these careers for the rest of my life and I had no choice.

You know what career was never on any of the lists? Entrepreneur.

It's never a good idea to label yourself with a certain kind of personality because that will always hold you back. Instead, find you're strengths and weaknesses, and use those strengths, but also work on bringing up your weaknesses.

Last edited:

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
It's been mentioned but I will again. There's a big difference between being an introvert and being shy.

Bill Gates is an introvert and many other successful business owners. Being an introvert is an asset not a negative.

http://businesslessonsfromrock.com/notes/2013/02/introverts-rise-up

If your shy that's a separate catagory, then yes you should get over that. Go to meetup.com and go to groups with the same interests. I used to be extremely shy but after doing this for a year it completely changed me. Having good social skills is extremely valuable. You can be an introvert and have better social skills than an extrovert. Ever meet someone that won't shut up? Yea, extrovert.

Being an introvert I can sit in a corner for weeks and work on my website without going crazy. Extroverts crave human interaction, it can be detrimental sometimes. Never view being an introvert as a negative. It's not. Develop good social skills. Go to meetup.com or find a local toastmasters and attend religiously.

The only way to aquire better skills at anything is by doing it repeatedly. The only difference between a master and a novice is the master failed more times than the novice ever tried.

Last edited:

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
I don't think you should allow being introverted to stop you. Most introverts can control their "extrovertedness" although they need to know well in advance.
Bill Gates is an introvert and many other successful business owners. Being an introvert is an asset not a negative.
Also Buffett, I mean Buffett is like the shyest of shyest that I have read on. He makes it work, it really comes down to again, how bad you want it. Don't let it stop you friend.

SSimz

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 21, 2015
Canada
Really appreciate you all taking to time to provide a better perspective of this and seeing it as an advantage rather than disadvantage and that I can overcome these fears that I have. I'll definitely start slow, and stay committed each day to address these fears. Thanks once again everyone for your insight!

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Introvert here, I am mostly introverted but can be more outgoing at times, although it drains my energy.

Therefore I find the most important thing to do for self-preservation and momentum is to make sure you take time out alone or in your known resting place away from over stimulation to recharge.

'Quiet' The Power of Introverts in a World that can't stop Talking - by Susan Cain which I am reading now and is recommended reading by MJ/TMF forum helps you to understand yourself more and provides strategies and techniques to survive and thrive as an introvert in this world geared mostly towards and for extroverts.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
The answers here are all sufficient.

The only thing I'll say is this.

In my entire life, I've met only ONE TRUE introvert. Everyone else was just nursing mental scars from the past under the pretense of introversion.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Another introvert chiming in.

Large parties are absolutely draining for me. If I am at a social gathering for an extended period of time, and can't get myself some alone time, I get exhausted. Not just mentally, but physically too- like an upset stomach.

I had to take a public speaking course in college. At the end of the semester, I was voted as the best public speaker by my peers. I was NOT the popular or social butterfly person of that room. But I knew I could out-work and out-prepare everyone, so that's what I did.

What I think is important to focus on is that we can't use "I'm an introvert" as an excuse for shyness or being too image-conscious. Don't try to "convert" yourself into an extrovert. Being introverted doesn't mean we are better or worse, it is just just different. It's only a problem if we let it stop us from doing what we want to do.

The best advice I have is to not make excuses for yourself, and recognize your shortcomings. It's something I have issues with, but I try to work at it every day.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Introverts are awesome, I'm one myself. But as it's been mentioned before being an introvert means you recharge through alone time. That's where the description really stops I believe.

I used to be very shy on top of being an introvert but I wanted to learn how to meet girls in highschool so I started walking up to girl telling her she looked great that day and walking away. No goal, no commitment, just repeated actions to overcome talking to girls. It worked.

I've done theater, public speaking, etc all to face my fear of shyness and while I might not warm up to people really quickly I'm definitely not shy, I take intentional action to guarantee that. But at the end of the day I still need some alone time to reset myself.

You're fortunate to be an introvert, you'll stay quiet generally in a conversation which will help you adhere in practicing "How to Win Friends and Influence People." You'll also appear a lot smarter than you may be because silence projects confidence and intelligence. Personally I don't talk about myself when meeting new people I just take an interest in them, sometimes I feel I'm being too quiet and later found out that they (somehow) got the impression I was extremely smart, very interesting, and confident person. (Letting people talk about themselves paints you as an interesting person to them)

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
I'm an introvert. I used to hate it, now I love it. Have had no problem making myself interact with people when business is involved.

There's a guy who posts here, MJ DeMarco or something.. I believe I remember hearing him talking about being an introvert. I hear he's done pretty good.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.