The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Intro

Dufresne85

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Nov 3, 2021
I was raised to completely follow the script, currently do a corporate job that I have come to hate, but am at least happily married (wife + 2 kids). I always felt there was more out there for me than a corporate job and to become a manager somewhere. So, 5 years ago I taught myself how to code, and now have 2 profitable websites running - they only make a few thousand per year, not at all enough to support an entire family on.

My relatives and parents dislike my entrepreneurial side and never show any interest in my projects or give any motivation. If its not a shiny management title from a new corporate job with a salary increase (higher is better) - it seems they just don't care - which although it sucks, is also not the end of the world. My wife does believe in my crazy ideas and supports me.

I came across MJ DeMarco's books a year or so ago and it was like my eyes were opened, and I cannot wait to proceed further with my entrepreneurial projects. I am currently still at this corporate job and know that I have to break out on my own to get more control over my time.

The problem is that I now have an increasingly hard time dealing with my corporate job (anyone have tips, besides leaving?). After reading the books, knowing which direction to go... I find it kinda hard to take the job and my colleagues serious anymore. There are multiple times during the week, that I absolutely want to scream at my manager and just say F*ck it and storm out. Other times I just completely zone-out and work on my projects to feel I am at least going somewhere (quiet quitting I guess?).

So... why stay, ...right? Well for only a few reasons, like getting a few months of paid parental leave if I stay, so I have decided to stick it out in this job for around 100 more working days this year.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lyzmin

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jan 30, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I was raised to completely follow the script, currently do a corporate job that I have come to hate, but am at least happily married (wife + 2 kids). I always felt there was more out there for me than a corporate job and to become a manager somewhere. So, 5 years ago I taught myself how to code, and now have 2 profitable websites running - they only make a few thousand per year, not at all enough to support an entire family on.

My relatives and parents dislike my entrepreneurial side and never show any interest in my projects or give any motivation. If its not a shiny management title from a new corporate job with a salary increase (higher is better) - it seems they just don't care - which although it sucks, is also not the end of the world. My wife does believe in my crazy ideas and supports me.

I came across MJ DeMarco's books a year or so ago and it was like my eyes were opened, and I cannot wait to proceed further with my entrepreneurial projects. I am currently still at this corporate job and know that I have to break out on my own to get more control over my time.

The problem is that I now have an increasingly hard time dealing with my corporate job (anyone have tips, besides leaving?). After reading the books, knowing which direction to go... I find it kinda hard to take the job and my colleagues serious anymore. There are multiple times during the week, that I absolutely want to scream at my manager and just say F*ck it and storm out. Other times I just completely zone-out and work on my projects to feel I am at least going somewhere (quiet quitting I guess?).

So... why stay, ...right? Well for only a few reasons, like getting a few months of paid parental leave if I stay, so I have decided to stick it out in this job for around 100 more working days this year.
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your choice!

Big tip for your question is found in the Unscripted book page 277: Domain experience.

You just have to look at it the right way.
Good luck with it! :)

Dufresne85

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Nov 3, 2021
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your choice!

Big tip for your question is found in the Unscripted book page 277: Domain experience.

You just have to look at it the right way.
Good luck with it! :)

Yes! Thank you!

It really helps to remind myself what the purpose of this job actually is for me.

BlackRabbit3PL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 6, 2023
Houston & Los Angeles
Yes! Thank you!

It really helps to remind myself what the purpose of this job actually is for me.
If you're not trying to get ahead in this company, treat it like a job, don't go all out. It'll buy you time to figure things out for where you really want to go. You've already proven you are hireable and can get another job need be.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
www.blackrabbit3pl.com

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Don't quiet quit. Be the best you can be.

When I worked roles I didn't enjoy I always knew I was digging an escape tunnel. It meant I could rise above the cr@p.

Dufresne85

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Nov 3, 2021
The stupid part about my decision of staying and quiet quitting - is that it just does not work. People notice, people gossip, especially in corporate environments.

I agree with Andy 'be the best you can be, don't quiet quit' and 'a job is just a part of your journey'.

I've decided to slow down on my projects and show more effort at the job until I go on leave. Why not? It's ending anyway, might as well end it positive. Perhaps it will lead to something when I start my own business.

So if I don't get fired soon, I'll give the job more effort the next few months, learn what I still can, help where I still can, and then proudly quit.

Dufresne85

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Nov 3, 2021
Boom - I have resigned from this job that was really going nowhere. I have accepted a role elsewhere with a 40% increase in salary that will directly go into my projects. Quitting appeared to be a lot easier than I thought, expecting people to be shocked when they weren't ...lmao - what a joke even thinking that.

Feeling more relaxed as I am finally moving on. And confident that if this new job does not work out - I'll find something else so I can keep providing for my family.

Dufresne85

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Nov 3, 2021
This new job is great so far - and the money increase is 'nice'.

I read the book 'Your Money or your Life' - and it has some similarities to MJ's books. I can recommend it after you have read his books. I like that they explain how to calculate your real hourly wage (basically, include all the hours you put into a job and include all activities you spend on having/maintaining that job (buy clothes, commute, etc)). Also how the cross-over point between expenses and investment income is the holy grail (financial independence). That time is life energy and you should look at your expenses / investments of time well. Instead of thinking a product costs you $$, calculate how much hours of wage it costs you and then decide if its worth it.

The thing I like more in the Fastlane approach is the focus on building a product/business that exists outside yourself + that can sell itself a million times over instead of focusing on a job and living with frugality, hoping that one day your investment generates enough to actually cover your expenses....

Reading this book 'Your money or your life' made it more clear how accurate TFL actually is.

Dufresne85

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Nov 3, 2021
One of the best things happened lately. I always got my wife's support - but not like this. We sat down a few times recently ,went through some stuff and she is now completely on board!

After my new job, with a nice salary increase, it is obvious to both of us that this whole job thing is still going nowhere. Sure, we can buy more things - but I am not more free, quite the opposite - if I loose this job, then what?

So we decided to plot our escape together, with more focus and time to build/launch projects.

Finally.

Support from your partner can make or break any entrepreneurial idea I guess.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...