The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Intro from a carpenter in England

ChillyWilly

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Dec 23, 2023
Hi There,

My name is Will. I'm 34 and I live in England. I've been a carpenter since I've left school and last year started a lawn mowing business as I wanted the experience of starting a business and earning more money. None of my income is in any way fastlane! I dont enjoy working on site as a carpenter anymore although I am good at it. I dont enjoy garden maintenance that much either although I am good at that too! (I have an eye for detail, am very thorough and I always aim to exceed customer expectations). I also believe the market want/need for lawn mowing in my country is not that high, although I may be wrong.

I really enjoy the subject of business and I want to progress. I figured a good way to increase my business mind will be to participate in this forum. Although my business experience is limited, I have listened to probably 60 books on the subject on Audible over the last 5 years and lately listen to Earl Nightingale recordings on a daily basis! So I know alot of business principles but have limited business practical experience.

Anyway, I'm open to advice as I want to figure out a way to become more valuable and hope that I can be of help to others on this forum also.

Thanks again, Will.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi There,

My name is Will. I'm 34 and I live in England. I've been a carpenter since I've left school and last year started a lawn mowing business as I wanted the experience of starting a business and earning more money. None of my income is in any way fastlane! I dont enjoy working on site as a carpenter anymore although I am good at it. I dont enjoy garden maintenance that much either although I am good at that too! (I have an eye for detail, am very thorough and I always aim to exceed customer expectations). I also believe the market want/need for lawn mowing in my country is not that high, although I may be wrong.

I really enjoy the subject of business and I want to progress. I figured a good way to increase my business mind will be to participate in this forum. Although my business experience is limited, I have listened to probably 60 books on the subject on Audible over the last 5 years and lately listen to Earl Nightingale recordings on a daily basis! So I know alot of business principles but have limited business practical experience.

Anyway, I'm open to advice as I want to figure out a way to become more valuable and hope that I can be of help to others on this forum also.

Thanks again, Will.
Welcome Will.

I'm curious what you can do with your carpentry skills to build a business.

I discuss "Grow what you know" here:

ChillyWilly

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Dec 23, 2023
Welcome Will.

I'm curious what you can do with your carpentry skills to build a business.

I discuss "Grow what you know" here:
Excellent! Thanks for reading and replying. I'm cooking meat for Christmas dinner at the mo. I will listen to this and get back to you. Thanks again!

ChillyWilly

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Dec 23, 2023
Thanks for the audio recording, I like the concept of 'grow what you know', it reminds me of what Earl Nightingale talks about on his recording 'Acres of diamonds' where he advises to take a subjective look at what you do as if an alien from another planet were watching you do it, deconstruct it and see if there are better ways of doing it. And spend 30 minutes every morning thinking of ways to improve what you already do.

I dont thing carpentry fits very well into the reaccuring model, although there may be something. The lawn mowing does have recurring going for it but I think in this country the profit margins are quite low because people dont want to pay much to have there lawns mowed.

So in answer to your question, what business could I build with my carpentry skills,

I could build,
Decks
Fences
Gates
Garden furniture
Bird boxes
Garden rooms
Pet furniture
Home furniture
Fine furniture
Traditional joinery work benches
Install kitchens
Fit out camper Van's
Build racking in tradesmens Van's
Manufacture items in a workshop
Create instructional videos
Carpentry tool manufacturing
Tool innovation
Fixings innovation.

That's what I can think of right now.

Once again, thanks for getting me to thing about this, I'm going to start making a list of carpentry related businesses and add to it most days, maybe 5 ideas a day.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fasted

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 18, 2021
UK
Hi There,

Thanks again, Will.
Nice one mate, welcome.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.