The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

integrity, in the world of sharks???

dino23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Sep 19, 2007
Southfield, MI
integrity, how do you feel about in the world of business? needed, end justify the means, not that important? chime in with your opinion.

fyi - a great documentary dealing with the subject is "the corporation"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Well, I suppose it boils down to the type of person you are- and generally a person's business is a direct reflection of that.

Obviously, if one is conducting business in unethical ways, there are financial consequences for that downstream.

Me personally, I like to sleep at night, and I really, really enjoy helping other people. I wouldn't do business any way but the right way.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
lack of integrity works only once on somebody... as our friend G.W.B said, 'fool me once, shame on you.... ' the rest I forgot.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
I've met rich people without integrity, but I've never met a successful person without integrity.

The riches don't last, the marriages don't last, the families don't last...without integrity.

BUT (from 'Swordfish') Never confuse kindness with weakness. I can be very tough and that sometimes surprises people.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
BUT (from 'Swordfish') Never confuse kindness with weakness. I can be very tough and that sometimes surprises people.

Too, too true.
I think that's why most business people get the rep for not being "nice."

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you're gonna take the dirty path, sooner or later you'll meet up with someone nastier and you'll get torn into shreds.

I think they call it Karma ... for law of attraction fans, I believe "what you reap you sow" in all facets of life, including business.

In my honest opinion...

Integrity > Success

People with integrity are well liked with positive energy - they attract success and opportunities.

I've met rich people without integrity, but I've never met a successful person without integrity.

The riches don't last, the marriages don't last, the families don't last...without integrity.

:iagree:

pplprincess

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 31, 2007
Cape May NewJersey
My father has always taught myself and the rest of his brood that if you are going to do something do it right. Give your all in everything you do and, do onto others as you would have them do onto you.

I think that about sums it up as far as the type of person I try to be.

There are always instances in life where you have to 'take off the gloves' and get a little mean but that doesn't mean you have to do so without integrity.

For a long time I always thought that I had to be nice to everyone... you know the type. 'I would try to make everyone happy and in the process made myself miserable.'

Now, I'm still nice but I have learned the word no.

I think the bottom line is honesty. Sometimes people don't like the truth. Personally I would rather have the ugly truth then a pretty lie.

=)

Liz

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I have seen some real dirtbags in this business. All I can say is to protect yourself with solid agreements and strong contracts. Do what you say you will do and expect the same. Never cheat the people you are dealing with or try to short them on money, especially the ones that are feeding you.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I like the quote that goes something like this (I don't remember how it goes): "Money is to easy to make to do so dishonestly." That's definitely not how it originally was said, but I think you get it.

There are more important things than money, integrity being one of them, and many people often forget that. Luckily, the law can protect us from those scumbags in some occasions.

michael515

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 27, 2007
Integrity is absolutely necessary. I read a book called "Power vs. Force" that scientifically found than humans can detect on a sub-conscious level if some is lying. They "just know" the person was lying. Interesting and debatable as to how they actually measured this, but I think we all can attest to this at some level or some time.

I believe one could be successful for a short while acting in a dis-honest way but it will always be found out over time. There really are forces at work that I cannot explain regarding dishonest gain - like karma if you believe in Buddhism.

I think with the lack of integrity so prevalent (just watch late night t.v. infomercials) that if one builds a business in a manner of integrity it will stand out.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I spent 20 years working with the rich and famous.

Virtually everyone in their circles operates by word of mouth.

If someone scammed just *one* person, word got out.

You didn't see them around much longer.

Consistent integrity is one of the few qualities common to all of the movers and shakers I worked with.

And as was pointed out, kindness and weakness are two different things. I saw some of these folks crush other people, other businesses that were not honest. They took them apart like a little kid pulling wings off a fly.

There was no empathy for someone that had cheated or lied to them.

-Russ H.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
I spent 20 years working with the rich and famous.

Virtually everyone in their circles operates by word of mouth.

If someone scammed just *one* person, word got out.

You didn't see them around much longer.

Consistent integrity is one of the few qualities common to all of the movers and shakers I worked with.

And as was pointed out, kindness and weakness are two different things. I saw some of these folks crush other people, other businesses that were not honest. They took them apart like a little kid pulling wings off a fly.

There was no empathy for someone that had cheated or lied to them.

-Russ H.
:iagree:

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
1) karma karma karma

2) I can't STAND working with people that do not have integrity. When I treat someone well and watch out for them and create a win-win deal only to find them trying to put me on the losing end - - - nothing makes me more angry. People that do not act with integrity deserve to be torn to bits.

3) It seems to me that living a life in which your values are not in line with every part of your life - it will eventually lead to unhappiness... Lying and stealing in business and then teaching your children not to lie and steal will certainly backfire one day.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.