The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Informal Dinner at Underdog's BBQ in Erie, PA (Undercover Billionaire's Restaurant)

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Ladies and gentlemen, you carry a black rectangle in your pocket that literally connects to every other black rectangle on the entire planet.

May very well be my favorite quote this year.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
May very well be my favorite quote this year.

I like it too. So much that I upped my own phone game this morning.

Switched from a my totally plebian S10+ to a Note 10+ and I'll probably only keep that one for 6 months too.

But get this... I got white just to screw with everyone. :rofl:

20190917_134602.jpg

Last edited:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I asked the team what it was about Glenn that they wanted to get involved with... It was UNANIMOUS and among all of them individually... He inspired them. Contrary to popular belief, it wasn't the camera crew. They had ZERO clue the entire time that this was for The Discovery Channel, they figured it was going to go on someone's YouTube channel or be some one off low budget documentary. Dawn said she was still super curious and googled all kinds of Glenn stuff, but was unable to find anything on him during the show.
Welp, looks like MJ's rant thread has gotten de-mystified. :hilarious:

Reminds me of the recent time I went to a seminar.

It wasn't a typical guru newbie-trap seminar, as this happened...

One of the past students of the seminar showed up to talk about his business (selling office shirts with Asian cutting that wasn't overpriced). It was quite the tale, what with starting his college days with a $2 per hour job making scrambled eggs in the college canteen, starting a bookshop out of a divorced lady's shed, trying out hundreds of shirts all over London, fighting negative Facebook feedback and doing hand-written notes for customers and marketing partners alike.

At the end of his sharing, a lady up in front got so inspired that she spoke up.

Who knows, she was a fashion designer from France, and offered to get his shirts over to the Parisian runway.

The whole house was floored.

It's not the only kicker. The guy had just started selling on Facebook like...last year? And only sold WHITE SHIRTS, no other colour.

I did meet my fair share of unexpectedly extraordinary folks at the seminar, but that was the cherry on the cake top.

Sometimes we just don't know who we are gonna meet. Forrest Gump had the right idea lol.

That's another big thing. A lot of these guys like Elon Musk... sure Musk is smart, but he's definitely not the smartest guy in the world. He knows how to find smart people. I think that one major advantage humans have over other mammals is our ability to collaborate. Collaboration is literally built into our nervous system more than other primates and look at the amazing world humans have built.

Yup, networking was my takeaway, when folks bashed Elon for taking on government funding to do his projects. Getting government to get involved is no small feat, regardless of whether you are Iron Man or not.

This is why this show has so many "haters" (from the American Dream perspective, not my reality TV take) who hold on to a certain political philosophy that the American Dream is dead and that you cannot bootstrap yourself out of poverty. It violates their firmly held politics, exposes their excuses, and calls them to the carpet for their laziness and lack of initiative.

Unfortunately I doubt this show will change their minds ... oh well, they can always vote for Bernie or Yang.
Here in Malaysia, it's about 'running away to Western countries as fast as you can' lol, for the last sentence. As if they don't have similar problems as we do here.

I'm getting a bad taste in my mouth from Reddit from all the political comments, but I'm forced to do so because its a major source for my Upwork copywriting research.

I'm not hating on Bernie or Yang, as some of their stuff is legit, implementation aside, but if the folks vote with the wrong mindset and expectations...

On a slight political derail, I was surprised to find Andrew Yang has had some decent entrepreneurial background, part of a team running a test prep company. Felt quite different from the others.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Wow... What can I say about this weekend? There is just so much I have reflected on. I have several takeaways...

So, I know a lot of you already know I have a hell of a network. I have met several billionaires before. I talk to people on a daily basis that have 8 and 9 figure net worth. For me this was a given, but I think those that haven't been exposed to folks that operate at a VERY HIGH levels might get something out of what I am about to say. Glenn confirmed it yet again. 100% of these bad a$$ business guys are 100% human. They don't have special powers, they don't have special physical attributes like a professional athlete, they aren't brainiac geniuses like Einstein... The difference goes back to THINKING BIGGER.

From my observations and discussions with him, Glenn seems to think through the in's, out's and operations like any well versed business guy... On the other hand, Glenn plays business like a billionaire... It is a CHOICE to work on things that have massive potential. He discussed his new company that he is starting, guess what? It has that same type of massive potential that got him here in the first place. Are you surprised? I'm not.

I don't know if the other attendees caught it, but when he mentioned the organization he is a member of, YPO, and said it requires 50m in revenue like it was nothing. As if we all should be able to join. That is thinking big.

Likewise @B_Mac and I have taken some conference calls together in the incubator program. The goal of these calls? To acquire a company or two that can complement his offering. The funny thing is that TWICE we have ended up on the phone with a CEO that is looking for $50m plus. A little out of the range of what we are looking for. The common discussion afterwards though? That guy was just like us.

This is not to say Glenn is just like us, because he isn't. He not only thought bigger, but he followed through bigger and he is going to do it again. The very foundation of bigger acting, is bigger thinking.

NEXT TAKE AWAY

I was asked several times how in the world I was able to pull this off... OR variants of the question... The following is the exact email I used to initiate communications misspelled first name and ALL... Like an idiot.

This was the ember that lit the fire though. After a half-dozen phone/email interactions with Keely, Glenn's assistant, we set it up for the 15th instead of the 14th. THAT'S IT!

So my response to the people who asked... My phone was responsible. Ladies and gentlemen, you carry a black rectangle in your pocket that literally connects to every other black rectangle on the entire planet. UP YOUR GAME and start really getting the most out of your phone and service.

This is why I have absolutely zero cognitive dissonance when I buy the best new phone every time one comes out. I have completely unlimited service plan. I STILL don't believe I get enough out of it. John D. Rockefeller had to send letters and frickin telegrams. Imagine what he could have done with a black rectangle.

NEXT TAKE AWAY

When Glenn arrived in Erie, on the show... I know one of the first things everyone noticed he said was "what does this town need?" well pretty soon thereafter he made it a point to MEET PEOPLE. His plan for a million dollar business was not to acquire a laptop by any means necessary and then copywriting his way to a million. He didn't plan to make websites for people. He didn't plan to onepreneur an ecommerce company on Amazon. He didn't plan to hole up and do anything remotely like that.

I asked the team what it was about Glenn that they wanted to get involved with... It was UNANIMOUS and among all of them individually... He inspired them. Contrary to popular belief, it wasn't the camera crew. They had ZERO clue the entire time that this was for The Discovery Channel, they figured it was going to go on someone's YouTube channel or be some one off low budget documentary. Dawn said she was still super curious and googled all kinds of Glenn stuff, but was unable to find anything on him during the show.

He inspired them. What does that sound like? Leadership. You can solve any problem in business with proper leadership. I always harp on this too... Leadership is NOT management. It is not being a boss and telling people what to do. It is rallying people to your cause. It is creating irresistible influence. You lead customers, you lead investors, you lead team members.

THE FINAL TAKE AWAY

EVERYONE had a TON of pride for Erie, PA. The city was filled with some of the nicest people I have met in my life. They welcomed us with open arms and embraced us almost like VIP guests. I am incredibly humbled by that. Dawn, for instance, made sure we had something fun to do before our flights yesterday so she pulled some strings so we could tour a winery before they would otherwise open and joined us on the tour. So unbelievably cool.

The funny thing... I went into this thinking NOTHING of the town of Erie. I was totally wrong. I left thinking I would absolutely LOVE to go back with some more time on my hands. I will visit again with my wife. Erie is a really special place that is home to people that I now consider friends.

Awesome write up, thanks for sharing that @Kak

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welp, looks like MJ's rant thread has gotten de-mystified.

I don't mind being partially wrong, or even completely wrong when it comes the inconsistencies I identified. My message and the message of this show are identical and shares the same purpose.

The funny thing... I went into this thinking NOTHING of the town of Erie. I was totally wrong. I left thinking I would absolutely LOVE to go back with some more time on my hands. I will visit again. Erie is a really special place.

I get the feeling that many small towns in America are the same way, some awesome people and potential just lurking behind the cornfields and empty steel plants.

FiftySeven

Sex. Power. World Domination.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
479%
Jan 18, 2015
LandoftheBlind where one-laser-eyed man is King
@Kak 's invitation email to Glenn Stearns:

"
I want to extend an invitation to you. I know it is bold to ask, but you strike me as the kind of guy that would try to make it.

Anyway, we have zero agenda and nothing to sell, just interested in eating good food and talking good business.

Are you in?

Thanks so much Glen and congrats on the show!

"

Notice some embedded techniques that come directly from the Dale Carnegie Course:

Show sincere appreciation

Make the other person feel good about himself

Give the other person a good reputation to live up to

THROW DOWN A CHALLENGE

and lastly, Kak followed one of the primary rules of selling - simply

ASK FOR THE SALE

Plus, maybe a little persuasion/hypnotism/repetition in the phrase "eating good food and talking good business." Who could resist that?

Kyle, many thanks for showing great leadership and using your SUPERPOWER in making this all come together! ;)

'57

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@Kak 's invitation email to Glenn Stearns:

"
I want to extend an invitation to you. I know it is bold to ask, but you strike me as the kind of guy that would try to make it.

Anyway, we have zero agenda and nothing to sell, just interested in eating good food and talking good business.

Are you in?

Thanks so much Glen and congrats on the show!

"

Notice some embedded techniques that come directly from the Dale Carnegie Course:

Show sincere appreciation

Make the other person feel good about himself

Give the other person a good reputation to live up to

THROW DOWN A CHALLENGE

and lastly, Kak followed one of the primary rules of selling - simply

ASK FOR THE SALE

Plus, maybe a little persuasion/hypnotism/repetition in the phrase "eating good food and talking good business." Who could resist that?

Kyle, many thanks for showing great leadership and using your SUPERPOWER in making this all come together! ;)

'57

Now I want to check out this sales course! haha!

FiftySeven

Sex. Power. World Domination.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
479%
Jan 18, 2015
LandoftheBlind where one-laser-eyed man is King
Haha @Kak , if you haven't already taken the DC course, your results indicate that you probably don't NEED it! ;)

'57

Mutant

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 8, 2018
London
This is why this show has so many "haters" (from the American Dream perspective, not my reality TV take) who hold on to a certain political philosophy that the American Dream is dead and that you cannot bootstrap yourself out of poverty. It violates their firmly held politics, exposes their excuses, and calls them to the carpet for their laziness and lack of initiative.

Unfortunately I doubt this show will change their minds ... oh well, they can always vote for Bernie or Yang.

I hadn’t clicked on the thread where I saw Undercover Billionaire because I had associated it with Secret Millionaire - a show which originated right here in the UK. A reality doc where secret millionaires go into impoverished communities & find worthy causes & people to finally reveal they are a millionaire to, & give a bunch of money. A very different lesson. I watched one & decided it wasn’t a useful use of my time.

What's valued in a country is cultivated there. ---- Plato

Yup, & that’s what we came up with.
At least America *has* the American Dream.
Britain in general though? Hmm. We have many good qualities in the national character, a determination to dramatically improve ones lot though is not really one of them.

Clearly I should read that other thread.

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
Wow... What can I say about this weekend? There is just so much I have reflected on. I have several takeaways...

So, I know a lot of you already know I have a hell of a network. I have met several billionaires before. I talk to people on a daily basis that have 8 and 9 figure net worth. For me this was a given, but I think those that haven't been exposed to folks that operate at a VERY HIGH levels might get something out of what I am about to say. Glenn confirmed it yet again. 100% of these bad a$$ business guys are 100% human. They don't have special powers, they don't have special physical attributes like a professional athlete, they aren't brainiac geniuses like Einstein... The difference goes back to THINKING BIGGER.

From my observations and discussions with him, Glenn seems to think through the in's, out's and operations like any well versed business guy... On the other hand, Glenn plays business like a billionaire... It is a CHOICE to work on things that have massive potential. He discussed his new company that he is starting, guess what? It has that same type of massive potential that got him here in the first place. Are you surprised? I'm not.

I don't know if the other attendees caught it, but when he mentioned the organization he is a member of, YPO, and said it requires 50m in revenue like it was nothing. As if we all should be able to join. That is thinking big.

Likewise @B_Mac and I have taken some conference calls together in the incubator program. The goal of these calls? To acquire a company or two that can complement his offering. The funny thing is that TWICE we have ended up on the phone with a CEO that is looking for $50m plus. A little out of the range of what we are looking for. The common discussion afterwards though? That guy was just like us.

This is not to say Glenn is just like us, because he isn't. He not only thought bigger, but he followed through bigger and he is going to do it again. The very foundation of bigger acting, is bigger thinking.

NEXT TAKE AWAY

I was asked several times how in the world I was able to pull this off... OR variants of the question... The following is the exact email I used to initiate communications misspelled first name and ALL... Like an idiot.

This was the ember that lit the fire though. After a half-dozen phone/email interactions with Keely, Glenn's assistant, we set it up for the 15th instead of the 14th. THAT'S IT!

So my response to the people who asked... My phone was responsible. Ladies and gentlemen, you carry a black rectangle in your pocket that literally connects to every other black rectangle on the entire planet. UP YOUR GAME and start really getting the most out of your phone and service.

This is why I have absolutely zero cognitive dissonance when I buy the best new phone every time one comes out. I have completely unlimited service plan. I STILL don't believe I get enough out of it. John D. Rockefeller had to send letters and frickin telegrams. Imagine what he could have done with a black rectangle.

NEXT TAKE AWAY

When Glenn arrived in Erie, on the show... I know one of the first things everyone noticed he said was "what does this town need?" well pretty soon thereafter he made it a point to MEET PEOPLE. His plan for a million dollar business was not to acquire a laptop by any means necessary and then copywriting his way to a million. He didn't plan to make websites for people. He didn't plan to onepreneur an ecommerce company on Amazon. He didn't plan to hole up and do anything remotely like that.

He inspired them. What does that sound like? Leadership. You can solve any problem in business with proper leadership. I always harp on this too... Leadership is NOT management. It is not being a boss and telling people what to do. It is rallying people to your cause. It is creating irresistible influence. You lead customers, you lead investors, you lead team members.

THE FINAL TAKE AWAY

EVERYONE had a TON of pride for Erie, PA. The city was filled with some of the nicest people I have met in my life. They welcomed us with open arms and embraced us almost like VIP guests. I am incredibly humbled by that. Dawn, for instance, made sure we had something fun to do before our flights yesterday so she pulled some strings so we could tour a winery before they would otherwise open and joined us on the tour. So unbelievably cool.

The funny thing... I went into this thinking NOTHING of the town of Erie. I was totally wrong. I left thinking I would absolutely LOVE to go back with some more time on my hands. I will visit again with my wife. Erie is a really special place that is home to people that I now consider friends.
Wow, wow, wow!!
I'm literally "wowing" away like a siren.
Just reading this thread for the first time today.
The takeaways from all the attendees have been really wonderful, and I've just been liking their posts all the way as I go along.
However, your takeaways just takes things to another level.
Your submissions are superlatively fantastic.
Literally had to drop my phone and clap a few times at the end.

The lessons one can learn in this forum can not be bought for a million dollars.
Its now left for us to apply them in our daily lives.

Thanks again for setting up such an event, for showing big thinking, leadership, and finally, a super big thank you for such fantastic takeaways.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018

NEXT TAKE AWAY

NEXT TAKE AWAY

THE FINAL TAKE AWAY

Love the takeaways Kyle.

On top of an epic “BBQ meet up”, your takeaway is what stuck out to me, as it’s right on point, this part “His plan for a million dollar business was not to acquire a laptop by any means necessary and then copywriting his way to a million. He didn't plan to make websites for people. He didn't plan to onepreneur an ecommerce company on Amazon. He didn't plan to hole up and do anything remotely like that.”

Bump! Bump bump.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I can't believe how long ago this was. But it was epic.

Early in our plans I mentioned that if you embark on this journey, no one will ever take away from you the fact that you flew across the country for BBQ.

In my case, I drove past award winning BBQ on the way to the airport. It wasn't about BBQ.

This trip was awesome and I thought this should be bumped per @Antifragile s discussion on not crowdsourcing decision making. THIS is the kind of epic stuff you can make happen if you lead. I'm not some superhuman, I just picked up the phone and led a group to do something cool. You can do it too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.