The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Infopreneur

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Are there any successful infopreneurs? I'm not sure if I'm describing what I mean

properly or not. Perhaps the specifics of my idea would help. I'll try and make it short...

I have aspirations to learn a few types of investing. Currently, I have someone willing to

mentor me a bit in real estate. Mentor is willing to finance a few new small deals with

my involvement, in order to show me the ropes firsthand. The catch: to learn some

landlording, I will have to assist in landlording several residential properties and one

commercial, free of charge. The length of this has not been determined yet. In addition,

there are two vacancies that must be filled (ongoing issue I was told) in order to

increase cashflow and justify new ventures. This too would be my responsibility, as well

as any rehab/construction work.

My only issue is that I can't devote the time needed for this and still survive. I will

have to quit my day job. I'm young, no family, and my expenses are low with low debt.

I'm trying to find a way to supplement my income in some way. I thought of making a

few websites, mostly informational, to generate income from (hence infopreneur). My

monetizing methods would be ads and affiliates. The biggest hurdle is what problem am

I solving for people? The only solution that I see from providing a site like this is

providing people with a plethora of high quality, in depth information. Basically I see it

as creating an environment where a person researching on the internet has found a

website that fullfils their needs for certain topic....no need to search elsewhere, other

than linked sites.

Am I missing something here? I've known a few people who have been successful at

this, but my opinion is that it all depends on your niche and knowledge of your niche.

Could my energy be better used in something else? Are there any other problems I

could assist people with from a site like this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Infopreneuring is very fastlane under the assumption you have information that people want.

The internet has 1000's of successful "infopreneurs" ... successful bloggers can be categorized as an infopreneur and they make money on affiliate programs and advertising.

Their are millions of niches and most of them can be exploited. As one wrote in another thread, "There are riches in the niches!" --

To determine how saturated the market is for any particular niche, do a Google search for the niche terms and examine how many "Sponsored Links" exist for the search. If there are 10+, the niche is being addressed - you will need to do it better. If there are under 10, there is room for growth in that particular niche.

Just to give you an example, I'm studying a new web business for artists ... I type in the term "starving artists" at Google and very few sponsored links show up -- just 4 sponsors and 2 of them are mass market retailers.

This tells me the niche is underserved and an opportunity exists for exploitation.

No matter how small a niche is, if you control the worldwide search index on that niche, you put yourself in a position to make a lot of $$$.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Brilliant MJ.

And thanks for the question.

I have been kicking the same idea around, but hadn't articulated the question in my head yet.

I have a form of the same thing going with my site TaxLoopholes and it's very profitable, BUT it's definitely not niched. It's way too broad.

Reps all around. ++ You inspired me today.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Infopreneuring is very fastlane under the assumption you have information that people want.

The internet has 1000's of successful "infopreneurs" ... successful bloggers can be categorized as an infopreneur and they make money on affiliate programs and advertising.

Their are millions of niches and most of them can be exploited. As one wrote in another thread, "There are riches in the niches!" --

To determine how saturated the market is for any particular niche, do a Google search for the niche terms and examine how many "Sponsored Links" exist for the search. If there are 10+, the niche is being addressed - you will need to do it better. If there are under 10, there is room for growth in that particular niche.

Just to give you an example, I'm studying a new web business for artists ... I type in the term "starving artists" at Google and very few sponsored links show up -- just 4 sponsors and 2 of them are mass market retailers.

This tells me the niche is underserved and an opportunity exists for exploitation.

No matter how small a niche is, if you control the worldwide search index on that niche, you put yourself in a position to make a lot of $$$.
Thanks! I was concerned with saturation. That's a quick way to determine it.....thank you for saving me some time!

royemunson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jul 24, 2007
SW Ohio
The funny thing is that yes niches are great, but I just read a post on a different forum regarding going into niches that are large enough that even if you aren't number one or two in google you can still make money b/c you're in a market where people are "desperately"
buying.

they are desperate and need a solution to their problem and there is plenty to go around.

i am testing this right now as we speak and will let you know how it goes.

the market has quite a bit of competition but the demand is great through
keyword research and competitive research and other research.

I may succeed, I may not, but it's worth the entry. Trying to be different
is the key in this test.

Thanks and great posts

Joe

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Niche's are great because small players can do well. When you move away from niches into big markets, you attract larger players with more talented people and fatter wallets. It is always hard to compete against fat wallets because money can compensate for bad business decisions. (Like paying $3 per click on Google sponsored search.)

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I think the niche vs. market debate is a matter of strategy.

If you are into a quick hit, like throwing up one affiliate site, then I go with a low competition niche.

If I'm willing to put in considerable effort:

1. Start a blog
  2. Build out a series of niche sites related to the market
  3. Create a series of established social profiles
  4. Create my own products

Then go with a big, popular, well moneid market.

Even against the big boys, I know I can find my way to considerable profit if I'm willing to put in this type of effort (mainly just by doing what they are doing, and improving it - my advantage becomes smarts).

Another way to think of it is: I wouldn't dream of putting in that type of effort if I wasn't "sure" there was a big market there to get a slice of.

LazyAmericano

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Mar 11, 2008
Montana
bump. bump. bump.

(opps.... I didn't know I was Lazy Americano today... for some reason, I can't log out of the account in firefox?) Signed, ATW

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
These are the comments I am looking for!

What if you are searching to provide your product to a market that is hard to define? I would like to share what I have learned over the past few years in the realm of personal development such as goal setting. I feel what I have is a superior product than 99% of the "goal setting" programs out there.

So for a product of "goal setting". How in the world would you scratch a market like that??

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.