• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

WEB/DIGITAL Infopreneur

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by mtnman, Nov 22, 2007.

1. mtnman

mtnman Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,320
    Are there any successful infopreneurs? I'm not sure if I'm describing what I mean

properly or not. Perhaps the specifics of my idea would help. I'll try and make it short...

I have aspirations to learn a few types of investing. Currently, I have someone willing to

mentor me a bit in real estate. Mentor is willing to finance a few new small deals with

my involvement, in order to show me the ropes firsthand. The catch: to learn some

landlording, I will have to assist in landlording several residential properties and one

commercial, free of charge. The length of this has not been determined yet. In addition,

there are two vacancies that must be filled (ongoing issue I was told) in order to

increase cashflow and justify new ventures. This too would be my responsibility, as well

as any rehab/construction work.

My only issue is that I can't devote the time needed for this and still survive. I will

have to quit my day job. I'm young, no family, and my expenses are low with low debt.

I'm trying to find a way to supplement my income in some way. I thought of making a

few websites, mostly informational, to generate income from (hence infopreneur). My

monetizing methods would be ads and affiliates. The biggest hurdle is what problem am

I solving for people? The only solution that I see from providing a site like this is

providing people with a plethora of high quality, in depth information. Basically I see it

as creating an environment where a person researching on the internet has found a

website that fullfils their needs for certain topic....no need to search elsewhere, other

than linked sites.

Am I missing something here? I've known a few people who have been successful at

this, but my opinion is that it all depends on your niche and knowledge of your niche.

Could my energy be better used in something else? Are there any other problems I

could assist people with from a site like this?

Diane Kennedy likes this.
  2. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $387,205
    Admin Post
    Infopreneuring is very fastlane under the assumption you have information that people want.

The internet has 1000's of successful "infopreneurs" ... successful bloggers can be categorized as an infopreneur and they make money on affiliate programs and advertising.

Their are millions of niches and most of them can be exploited. As one wrote in another thread, "There are riches in the niches!" --

To determine how saturated the market is for any particular niche, do a Google search for the niche terms and examine how many "Sponsored Links" exist for the search. If there are 10+, the niche is being addressed - you will need to do it better. If there are under 10, there is room for growth in that particular niche.

Just to give you an example, I'm studying a new web business for artists ... I type in the term "starving artists" at Google and very few sponsored links show up -- just 4 sponsors and 2 of them are mass market retailers.

This tells me the niche is underserved and an opportunity exists for exploitation.

No matter how small a niche is, if you control the worldwide search index on that niche, you put yourself in a position to make a lot of $$$.

3. Diane Kennedy

Diane Kennedy Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $129
    Brilliant MJ.

And thanks for the question.

I have been kicking the same idea around, but hadn't articulated the question in my head yet.

I have a form of the same thing going with my site TaxLoopholes and it's very profitable, BUT it's definitely not niched. It's way too broad.

Reps all around. ++ You inspired me today.

4. mtnman

mtnman Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,320
    Thanks! I was concerned with saturation. That's a quick way to determine it.....thank you for saving me some time!

5. Merkin Man

Merkin Man Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $148
    *Bumping* for the quality in MJ's response.

6. royemunson

royemunson Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $374
    The funny thing is that yes niches are great, but I just read a post on a different forum regarding going into niches that are large enough that even if you aren't number one or two in google you can still make money b/c you're in a market where people are "desperately"
    buying.

they are desperate and need a solution to their problem and there is plenty to go around.

i am testing this right now as we speak and will let you know how it goes.

the market has quite a bit of competition but the demand is great through
    keyword research and competitive research and other research.

I may succeed, I may not, but it's worth the entry. Trying to be different
    is the key in this test.

Thanks and great posts

Joe

7. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $387,205
    Admin Post
    Niche's are great because small players can do well. When you move away from niches into big markets, you attract larger players with more talented people and fatter wallets. It is always hard to compete against fat wallets because money can compensate for bad business decisions. (Like paying $3 per click on Google sponsored search.)

8. Jonleehacker

Jonleehacker Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,088
    I think the niche vs. market debate is a matter of strategy.

If you are into a quick hit, like throwing up one affiliate site, then I go with a low competition niche.

If I'm willing to put in considerable effort:

1. Start a blog
    2. Build out a series of niche sites related to the market
    3. Create a series of established social profiles
    4. Create my own products

Then go with a big, popular, well moneid market.

Even against the big boys, I know I can find my way to considerable profit if I'm willing to put in this type of effort (mainly just by doing what they are doing, and improving it - my advantage becomes smarts).

Another way to think of it is: I wouldn't dream of putting in that type of effort if I wasn't "sure" there was a big market there to get a slice of.

9. LazyAmericano

LazyAmericano New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $57
    bump. bump. bump.

(opps.... I didn't know I was Lazy Americano today... for some reason, I can't log out of the account in firefox?) Signed, ATW

10. Kung Fu Steve

Kung Fu Steve Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $27,890
    These are the comments I am looking for!

What if you are searching to provide your product to a market that is hard to define? I would like to share what I have learned over the past few years in the realm of personal development such as goal setting. I feel what I have is a superior product than 99% of the "goal setting" programs out there.

So for a product of "goal setting". How in the world would you scratch a market like that??

11. Kung Fu Steve

Kung Fu Steve Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $27,890
    bump:smx19:

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.