The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

In 1 more year: Where will you be?

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I one years time, I will have collected 50k dollars towards my newest goal and we will have broken ground on construction.

Currently I'm scratching my head as to how, but I'll make it happen.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
1) Publish 2 more romance novels, have 2 more accepted, write 2 more
(keeping the pipeline full)
2) Have both romance novels hit my publisher's bestseller list
(Breach Of Trust made #2)
3) Figure out what to do with the NoLimitsLadies blog
(it currently doesn't fit in with any of my plans)
4) Hit my paper investing goals
5) Travel to one place I've never been before

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
  • Outsource at least 50% of Accounting/Bookkeeping work
  • Outsource all property management
  • Sell at least 20 homes (not homes in our existing portfolio)
  • Re-establish residency in PHL (at least part time)
  • Travel to at least one place I have never been before (thanks for the wording Kimber)
  • Thinking maybe a small triathlon (need to nail something down here)
Kimber – do you have a place where we can see a list of your novels? I would love some beach reading. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
phlgirl,

Aww... thanks for asking.
I only have one novel published thus far,
Breach Of Trust
about a business plan coach and a venture capitalist.
You can read about it here
BusinessRomance.com

My second, Invisible,
about identity theft
is out in February 2009
and my third, Selling Forever,
about the steps in the selling cycle,
is out in July 2009.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I am going to own more real estate. I will also have several active websites. I just had a big setback to my plans so I'm having to regroup and rethink. Right now that's about as specific as I can get.:cheers:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
For some reasons that I can't remember, I had been intentionally keeping my plans on a low profile.

My wife quit her job with a law firm and we have started a business together. Our focus is on investing using other people's money.

So far, we have purchased $17M in apartment transactions. Our plan calls for $30M in the 1st year. Our current limitations are in finding good deals. One might think that would be easy in this environment but that is not the case.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
SteveO,

Totally understand about the low profile.
You won't read about my stock picks
until they've been picked
(no wise a$$ comments from those following my past picks)

But I get inspired when I hear
people with a big of cash already banked
continue to hustle.
I think...
if SteveO is busting his butt,
I should be too.

I'm reaching.
Struggling with motivation issues
(post book launch depression).

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I'm reaching.
Struggling with motivation issues
(post book launch depression).

Me too!!!
Only... uh... there was no book launch! (she says sheepishly)

I think it is summer.
I don't wanna do anything except have some summer fun.

We have some turkey eggs hatching in the incubator this morning...
our first hatch ever.
It is pretty amazing.

GHVan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 13, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
I'm going to increase my Realestate portfolio, and hopefully start investing in multi family projects. I seem to be stuck on the 1M and need to jump it up to the next level!!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Preplanning volume;), sounds like a mortgage broker.
J/k

The business plan is centered around the profits. The volume is estimated based on expectations with business environment and rent growth. Our tables have an anticipated quantity but I can say that we will not make deals that don't fit the return goals.

All planning requires assumptions. Implementation is where the rubber meets the road...

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
Me too!!!
We have some turkey eggs hatching in the incubator this morning...
our first hatch ever.
It is pretty amazing.

Oh, babies!!
We never raised turkeys
(well, excluding my brothers)
but we did have chickens.
The cutest little things ever!

I'm a city girl now
(though we had deer in the back yard).
I don't miss the work of a farm
but I do miss those wonderful moments.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
SteveO,

I think...
if SteveO is busting his butt,
I should be too.

This is a challenge for most people. I am certainly included in this. My motivation levels ebb and flow as well.

The current plan is a 5 year plan. My opinion is that the current step back in the economy along with the change in demographics, is going to lead to a multi-family boom in values. I just want to be there for this little event.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Thinking about this pretty hard. It's been awhile since I've done a goals list.

#1). Purchase 3 more SFR's at 70% FMV or better.
#2). Flip 2 More SFR's
#3). Atleast double net worth, and get to the 1/3rd Million mark
#4). Begin working on 1st book
#5). Get Married
#6). Take my kids to Disneyworld

Cheers,

- Hakrjakj

thecoach

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 29, 2007
Regina, SK, Canada
My focus is putting thoughts to paper and do the things I've been 'thinking about' over the last year.

1. Implement more systems and structure into by financial practice to attract clients to me rather than chasing them (I've already started some of the systems, but it's a matter of taking the next steps).

2. Writing/creating the soccer and baseball coaching/training book/DVD series. I've developed the rough idea and what each book/DVD will be about, now I just need to write and create them. I've scheduled in roughly 4 hours a week just to focus on this project to research the topics further, write and create these things.

3. Try to flip a house to raise some capital.

4. Leverage the equity that I've built in my house over the last 2 years and put it to use (either use it to build an investment portfolio or make a significant downpayment on a revenue property).

5. Purchase a revenue property with immediate positive cashflow.

6. Just last night I had an 'Ah-hah' moment on how I can turn my hobby in the music industry into almost 100% completely passive income (just popped into my head while I was reading 4 Hour Work Week). The work I do with a friends band can typically be billed out at around $20/hour or between 10-20% of their gross profit (I'm doing it for free to help them out). 99.9% of the work is done through e-mail first, then through the phone and there is almost no need to meet with anyone face to face and the time difference doesn't matter (because most of the work is done through e-mail, it makes no difference if the e-mail is sent at 2PM in the afternoon or at 3AM in the morning local time...either way, they'll get it within a day). Thus, I can hire someone in India to do all the work for $5-10/hour and bill it out at $20 an hour. I just need to look into the logistics of it to make sure it can work and what additional costs might arise. I would likely be able to run this business on less than an hour a week of actual work for me. I know there is demand because I still get e-mails from other friends in the industry asking if I'll help them with some of the work as well.

7. Become a 'do-er'. Over the last year, I've been educating myself and trying to think of ways to create passive cashflow and whatnot, but haven't implemented a lot of it. Now I've got a better gameplan and idea of what I'm going to do.

Woody

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
May 5, 2008
Murray, UT
I really love this thread. I have been thinking about goals a lot lately. Here is what I have come up with..

1) Have over a 3.8 (out of 4.0 for you east coasters) g.p.a and be accepted to BYU for 2009-2010 year.

2) Increase the number of functioning Affiliate Marketing sites I own by 1000%.

3) Have a passive cash flow of 2k (or more:smx3:) a month.

4) Finish the set-up of my "green" non-profit site and begin full swing marketing to the Salt Lake Valley. I hope having this will look good on my application to BYU...

5) Live life to its potential. Including a lot of Skiing, Mountian Biking, Golfing, Hanging out with Friends, etc.

Thanks everyone, this really opened my eyes.

-Woody

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
GREAT idea for a thread. I always think about this, so much so that I added a goal list for my blog and myself. I published it on my site as well.
[FONT=&quot]
- Make Lyved one of the Top 100 Blogs on Technorati
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Increase readership to at least 1 million unique individuals a month.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Have Lyved, our articles, and our opinions featured in magazines, newspapers, and on television.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Turn Lyved into a platform where high profile and low profile people of the world can share and discuss whatever is on their minds.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Turn Lyved into a full time business.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Bring positivity to the negative-filled media.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Raise awareness for important causes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Win a blog award.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Change the world even more.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There's other more personal things that I've thought of like leaving my current job when my site takes off and other things like that.
[/FONT]

NICK870123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Aug 1, 2008
England
Have a successful internet success with a number of active sites around generating $5,000 a month from various sources and make content specific and high quality information sites. Finish uni by the end of next year and have a variety of businesses and make another business plan next year to show venture capitalists. Something along the lines of Dragon's den'ish?

Its a realistic goal for me and i go overboard my expectations than that would be great.

By the way AndrewG congrats on your site "[FONT=&quot]Lyved" its a great site and the content on it is up to a high standard about positive thinking. I hope it becomes more popular in the future.
[/FONT]

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
By the way AndrewG congrats on your site "[FONT=&quot]Lyved" its a great site and the content on it is up to a high standard about positive thinking. I hope it becomes more popular in the future.
[/FONT]

Thanks so much! It WILL become more popular in the not to distant future. :)

-Andrew

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
1) Bought my own dreamhouse (russian timber house. Nicest house ever. Luxury all right through).
2) Sold of my financial shares entirely. Living of the gain.
3) Started my Tea company.
4) Been to New York and celebrated New Years Eve of 2008.
5) Been to South Africa.
6) Been living 1 month in Stockholms Skärgård.
7) Tested nudity life for one whole month (one twisted dream I have had for 1-2 years now..hehe).

Well, that is the general stuff I am planning to have accomplished in 1 years time. Date today: August 25th 2008.

ramy98

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 1, 2007
Florida
1. Complete my education (2 classes left)
2. Read additional books on trading & Commodities
3. Complete a Commodity trading businesses plan & conduct system testing etc..
4. Save $30,000 to put towards trading or other business venture.
5. Ensure that I keep myself healthy (Physically, mentally and Spiritually)
6. Assist my father with the operations of his business.

Those are my major goals for the upcoming year or so.

P.S

My father is definately a business role model for me in how he has made his millions. I have been trying to get him to tell his story for a while now. I will remind him in the in the weeks to come to get writing! His industry is totally different than what most people are into but it will be another example of how changing conditions/ trends can be exploited for $$$.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
It is almost 6 months later.... (okay, I am stretching a little)

How goes it?

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Not many responses. Maybe the questions should be asked, in uncertain economic times is it still worth it to set 1,2,5,10 year goals? If so, why?

D

DeletedUser394

My 1 year goals;

1) Help out 5 different charitable organizations
2) Get a J.O.B.
3) Finish High School
4) Get Ripped! (lol, I'm slowly working on that one, SixPack:smxF:)
5) Eat Healthy
6) Ban TV from my vocabulary
7) Learn Spanish (Me llamo Ryan...Tenemos los asientos cuatro A y cuatro B) I'm working on it lol, 35 mins a day.

Every day, one step closer :tiphat:

rcardin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 30, 2007
Arlington, TX
Hopefully 1-2 more houses toward retirement.

Stayed pretty much on goal for this year. Haven't touched a credit card since last December. Did pick up on rental with no money down. Joined a gym.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I one years time, I will have collected 50k dollars towards my newest goal and we will have broken ground on construction.

Currently I'm scratching my head as to how, but I'll make it happen.

Well, I found out how. The properties I purchased. Now I am looking for ways to increase that. I don't plan on adding much during the next 6 months while I concentrate on property management. I think that will help me greatly for my next step.

The big Item I am looking at is helping my sister acquire 3 properties the way I did. One for each of her kids. It will be their college fund and my gift to them.

CVentures1B12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
1) Own 6 Properties

A) 5 Rentals
1) 4 SFH's
2) 1 Commercial

B) 1 Personal Residence

2) Travel to DC, Chicago, NYC, and Seattle

3) Travel to Guatemala

4) Lease a Mercedes SLK Hardtop

5) Have enough passive income to quit my job (don't want to quit, love the J-O-B, oddly enough, and am gaining a wealth of knowledge because it is an extremely small firm...the owner and myself...so wearing many hats and helping grow a biz from the ground up...plan on being here for 2 years, verbal commitment to the owner, and probably stay on for 3 years)

6) Have half of my school loan debt paid off

That is a good sum of the things that I want to happen this next year. Lots of work. It can be done. I think it is a conservative list, hehe. Is it bad that I can't wait until this time next year? Haha...

Best,
Josh

thecoach

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 29, 2007
Regina, SK, Canada
Just stumbled across this old post of mine...Noticed it's been a year and a half since the original post thought it might be interesting to check in and see how things went with the goals! Those that replied...how did you do?

**Maybe it could be moved to the new progress thread?**

My focus is putting thoughts to paper and do the things I've been 'thinking about' over the last year.

1. Implement more systems and structure into by financial practice to attract clients to me rather than chasing them (I've already started some of the systems, but it's a matter of taking the next steps).

Done and done. I ended up taking a course that focused on 'on-going service' and practice building and have implemented many of thoese things into my practice. I've since stopped working trade shows and such to find clients and have started getting random clients coming to me instead. It's still not perfected by any means, but progress was certainly made on this one!

2. Writing/creating the soccer and baseball coaching/training book/DVD series. I've developed the rough idea and what each book/DVD will be about, now I just need to write and create them. I've scheduled in roughly 4 hours a week just to focus on this project to research the topics further, write and create these things.

Didn't do the 4 hours a week thing for very long, but throughout the course of the year and half since I posted this, I've written roughly 50 pages of text (no images which will fill out a substantial amount of the pages) on the techinical part of the soccer book and roughly 30 pages of drills (again no images that will be filler as well).

3. Try to flip a house to raise some capital.

Never even got this one past posting it here. Well 1 out of 3 ain't bad...lol

4. Leverage the equity that I've built in my house over the last 2 years and put it to use (either use it to build an investment portfolio or make a significant downpayment on a revenue property).

Well 2 out of 4 ain't bad, right? Never did do this.

5. Purchase a revenue property with immediate positive cashflow.

Didn't buy a revenue propert, however I did start renting out my basement for between $400-$500 a month that gave me immediate positive cashflow.

6. Just last night I had an 'Ah-hah' moment on how I can turn my hobby in the music industry into almost 100% completely passive income (just popped into my head while I was reading 4 Hour Work Week). The work I do with a friends band can typically be billed out at around $20/hour or between 10-20% of their gross profit (I'm doing it for free to help them out). 99.9% of the work is done through e-mail first, then through the phone and there is almost no need to meet with anyone face to face and the time difference doesn't matter (because most of the work is done through e-mail, it makes no difference if the e-mail is sent at 2PM in the afternoon or at 3AM in the morning local time...either way, they'll get it within a day). Thus, I can hire someone in India to do all the work for $5-10/hour and bill it out at $20 an hour. I just need to look into the logistics of it to make sure it can work and what additional costs might arise. I would likely be able to run this business on less than an hour a week of actual work for me. I know there is demand because I still get e-mails from other friends in the industry asking if I'll help them with some of the work as well.

Never got this one going past this post. 3 out of 6 still puts me at 50%. Somewhat respectable I suppose?

7. Become a 'do-er'. Over the last year, I've been educating myself and trying to think of ways to create passive cashflow and whatnot, but haven't implemented a lot of it. Now I've got a better gameplan and idea of what I'm going to do.

This is one thing I've gotten better at. I put some things into action and that did infact create more pasive cashflow (bought a block of clients, the rental thing, etc) and I've started to get a little more focused on my work or at least be conscious of what I'm doing and what I could be doing to be more efficient/productive.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.