The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Importing samples from China

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Hey guys! So, with everything going on - I’ve got a product in development that should be a killer. The main problem I am facing is that after two iterations of the prototype - I now have my new version stuck in transport via DHL.

I’m sure many are experiencing similar issues. Have any of you guys found a good solution?

Right now I am thinking of just going with Air Freight and eating the extra costs. At the end of the day, the delays are actually more expensive.

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Hey guys! So, with everything going on - I’ve got a product in development that should be a killer. The main problem I am facing is that after two iterations of the prototype - I now have my new version stuck in transport via DHL.

I’m sure many are experiencing similar issues. Have any of you guys found a good solution?

Right now I am thinking of just going with Air Freight and eating the extra costs. At the end of the day, the delays are actually more expensive.

Thoughts?
I seriously doubt that you will get them as quickly via air freight as you will by using a courier service.

Air freight will most often travel on the same aircraft as courier consignments. Delays at the arrival point will be the same either way, and probably the delays using air freight will be greater.

Most delays are currently due to 2 things:
1. Internal transport delays within China.
2. Shortage of cargo space in aircraft.

Walter

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL

Thoughts?

If it's samples then go with DHL. Should take around 2 weeks from China to you.

If it's the main shipment then ocean freight since a 2 week wait time will save you a lot of money.

Getting the shipment to HK and shipping from there will lower the time for you to get your DHL shipment by a lot.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
If it's samples then go with DHL. Should take around 2 weeks from China to you.

If it's the main shipment then ocean freight since a 2 week wait time will save you a lot of money.

Getting the shipment to HK and shipping from there will lower the time for you to get your DHL shipment by a lot.
Thanks! I didn’t consider shipping to HK first. I’ve had two samples that have been more than 3 weeks delayed from DHL, so I’ve been really concerned.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Thanks! I didn’t consider shipping to HK first. I’ve had two samples that have been more than 3 weeks delayed from DHL, so I’ve been really concerned.

Get a freight forwarder that knows what she's doing. I can recommend one.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

I have a decent sized shipment of 5 pallets that has been stuck on a container since May 4th at the LA port. The whole container was held for 21 days so far with no explanation except that there is a big backlog.

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
I have a decent sized shipment of 5 pallets that has been stuck on a container since May 4th at the LA port. The whole container was held for 21 days so far with no explanation except that there is a big backlog.

possibly shortage of workers at the port? Or maybe a custom examination?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.