AshanD
New Contributor
Hi all,
I make my living as a futures trader. It pays quite well but the stress is enormous and i could not see myself doing this for the rest of my life. I have an exit plan into commercial real estate, but with local conditions in California being as they are (and I'm tied here for another 2 years due to school) real estate, especially in the commercial arena, is still off in the horizon.
I could not give up futures trading because nothing else would pay as well, but it is just so volatile that I wish I had another side business to cover the living expenses. Even if my business made 1/4 my trading for comparable effort I would be happy with it.
I am considering a side business. I have $100,000 saved but am not willing/able to use all of this money. I can work $25,000 now, or about $50,000 in 6 months if I need to wait.
The business I have in mind is an import/export business that buys its products cheaply from a country with many manufacturing exports like China. Ideally I would set up a B2B pipeline but I know nothing of what is involved to do this. Other option is selling B2C through a website or ebay.
If anyone has experience in this area, is this a realistic plan, or am I just pipe dreaming up a business that is far more difficult, possibly inaccessible for non importers, than I imagined?
Thanks
Ashan
I make my living as a futures trader. It pays quite well but the stress is enormous and i could not see myself doing this for the rest of my life. I have an exit plan into commercial real estate, but with local conditions in California being as they are (and I'm tied here for another 2 years due to school) real estate, especially in the commercial arena, is still off in the horizon.
I could not give up futures trading because nothing else would pay as well, but it is just so volatile that I wish I had another side business to cover the living expenses. Even if my business made 1/4 my trading for comparable effort I would be happy with it.
I am considering a side business. I have $100,000 saved but am not willing/able to use all of this money. I can work $25,000 now, or about $50,000 in 6 months if I need to wait.
The business I have in mind is an import/export business that buys its products cheaply from a country with many manufacturing exports like China. Ideally I would set up a B2B pipeline but I know nothing of what is involved to do this. Other option is selling B2C through a website or ebay.
If anyone has experience in this area, is this a realistic plan, or am I just pipe dreaming up a business that is far more difficult, possibly inaccessible for non importers, than I imagined?
Thanks
Ashan
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
