The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Import/Export to India

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
I came across an interesting opportunity for myself and was hoping for some input.

I have been networking with people from India, as I have been working to import products for a brand that I am working on. I got to talk to a CEO of a biotechnology company who wants to export his products to the United States. Because we have a good working relationship, he asked me if I wanted to help him bring his products to US markets as well as export products to India for him. He is already in talks with some major US companies to buy his products, so he will most likely already have buyers set up.

Now what I am trying to figure out is, what would be the best business model to work with that will be mutually beneficial. We both came up with two possible business models. Are these the only two models, or is there a different business model that I am unaware of?

Option 1: I start a branch office in the United States. All products are paid for by the company so I personally have no overhead, but it seems more like a slow lane job. The benefit, from how I look at it is, I can gain some good experience with importing and exporting and can use this opportunity as a springboard in the future.

Option 2: I act as a separate company, maybe work out a deal that I am the sole distributor of the product. The more I sell, the more money I make. Of course, then I may need a large amount of capital for start-up costs. The benefit would be that I can use that same company to import/export products from other companies in the future as this CEO is willing to introduce me to other business owners who might be interested in the same service.

I have never had this opportunity offered to me, and wanted to see if anyone had insight on this topic.

If I can hash out a good deal with the company's owner, I'll make a progress thread on the topic!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

growth

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Apr 6, 2022
Africa
I came across an interesting opportunity for myself and was hoping for some input.

I have been networking with people from India, as I have been working to import products for a brand that I am working on. I got to talk to a CEO of a biotechnology company who wants to export his products to the United States. Because we have a good working relationship, he asked me if I wanted to help him bring his products to US markets as well as export products to India for him. He is already in talks with some major US companies to buy his products, so he will most likely already have buyers set up.

Now what I am trying to figure out is, what would be the best business model to work with that will be mutually beneficial. We both came up with two possible business models. Are these the only two models, or is there a different business model that I am unaware of?

Option 1: I start a branch office in the United States. All products are paid for by the company so I personally have no overhead, but it seems more like a slow lane job. The benefit, from how I look at it is, I can gain some good experience with importing and exporting and can use this opportunity as a springboard in the future.

Option 2: I act as a separate company, maybe work out a deal that I am the sole distributor of the product. The more I sell, the more money I make. Of course, then I may need a large amount of capital for start-up costs. The benefit would be that I can use that same company to import/export products from other companies in the future as this CEO is willing to introduce me to other business owners who might be interested in the same service.

I have never had this opportunity offered to me, and wanted to see if anyone had insight on this topic.

If I can hash out a good deal with the company's owner, I'll make a progress thread on the topic!
Hello Mikkel. Both options are great. In my own opinion and little experience, being a sole distributor requires a huge start-up capital because you have to purchase products in large quantities. So what happens when you purchase in large quantities and do sell all at once? I would suggest option 2 with a little tweak. Instead of being a sole distributor of that product, become an agency that help import and export, even with scouting buyer. Here's how you make money as an agency,
1. Charge a certain percentage on the total cost of the goods. i.e If the total goods costs $5,000 you charge 10%, 20% or any % of the cost of goods as your service fee. You sell at company pice but agree on a percentage you'll be given.
2. Charge on each item. i.e If 1 item costs $2, you can quote $2.5 or $3. You'll make $0.5/$1 on each item. You sell at your own price after the company gives you a discount.
How would you benefit from being an agency, compared to a sole distributor,
1. You don't need huge capital.
2. You don't have to purchase with your money, you only deliver what is needed.
3. You can import and export any kind of product, not just the product this brand wants. You are not limited to being a biotechnology distributor but you can also do other things.
I hope this helps, good luck with your business Mikkel.

If you'd like to discuss more, write to me at faithfulychi@gmail.com

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Thank you @growth

I had been doing more research on both options since making this post. I think you are correct. To decrease my risk and overhead, being a middle man who organizes shipments from one company to the other seems to be the most scalable and cheapest option with the most amount of control.

Now, I believe an import/export company(option 2) can still have the ability to sign a contract where my company is the only company that can distribute a certain product in a certain country. Rather than hold the product in a warehouse(USA), I may hold some samples of the product to help promote their product, but all orders must be shipped from the manufacturer.

I have a meeting with the CEO in the next few days. I will propose these two options but suggest the 2nd option.

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Cancel anytime

$7 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 44% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Crush Goals: 30% Off GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Save the best: bookmark/archive ability
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • Crush Goals: 50% Off a GoalSumo.com Subscription

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.