The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm starting an Email Marketing Mastermind

Marketing, social media, advertising

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
I'm starting an email marketing mastermind on slack.

This is for you if you have a business and are currently using email marketing to generate sales.

There are some good Facebook groups out there, but I prefer learning together with a dozen or so others, rather than the more random post stream that you get on Facebook.

If email marketing is something you are planning to do "one day", then this group is not for you.

If you aren't willing to be an active participant in daily discussion, then this group is not for you.

Post in the thread if interested and I'll send you an invite.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
563%
Feb 9, 2016
Hey @amp0193,

I'd love to join!

I'm currently managing lists with a few thousand subscribers, nothing huge but I'd love to learn more and share what I know.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Cool guys, I'm gonna bump this and see if we get a few more interested, and then I'll send out the invites tonight.

My best slack groups have had 7-8 people so that's the ballpark of what I'm shooting for.

PedroG

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Oct 1, 2013
NH
I'm about to start doing this right now actually. I'm currently setting up all the MailCheat(Chimp) stuff and coding to add users to my list as they sign up for my free trial.

My current product is a SaaS and app where I charge $5/mo. Currently I have about 15 users. So far I've been getting people using App Store ads, but I can't rely solely on that, so content marketing it is. I have over 400 emails from trial users that I plan to import as soon as I am done setting everything up, which should be in a couple of days.

Not sure if that makes me a good candidate for the group or not, but I'm interested.

Last edited:

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
I am in.

Sent my first email to my subscribers this week(small list so far)

I will be doing a lot more email marketing in the future as my list grows.

You guys planning to discuss list growing strategies as well?

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Sounds cool.

My day job is for a company in the email industry. On both the email deliverability side (extremely important) and email marketing side. We deliver billions of emails per month, so I have a lot of access to data about what works and what doesn't (i.e, the email blast is basically dying).

I'm also building out my current business with email.

Between work and my own business, I have zero free time available to join and actively engage. However, if anybody has any questions like what's working now, what does Gmail like to see, how to deal with spam filters, importance of reputation in email marketing, where email is heading in the next couple of year, how to get high CTRs, the different types of email providers and why it maters, etc...

Then feel free to reach out and I can prove some info to the group.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Between work and my own business, I have zero free time available to join and actively engage. However, if anybody has any questions like what's working now, what does Gmail like to see, how to deal with spam filters, importance of reputation in email marketing, where email is heading in the next couple of year, how to get high CTRs, the different types of email providers and why it maters, etc...

Awesome, I'll send you an invite anyway, join if you want.

First question for you: When I send out an email, Gmail on desktop "hides" the images included in the email, and I have to click to enable them.

However, Gmail on my iPhone just shows all the images.

Did I mess something up when it comes to deliverability, or is this normal?

Also, Gmail by default has "tabs" now that filter out promotional stuff. So, while emails in the promotions tab are technically not Spam, they may as well be.

Any tips for going straight to the inbox? Once one of your emails is sent to the Promotions Tab, are all future emails going to go there as well, no matter what?

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Alright guys,

Invites sent out via PM. We'll take it away in Slack.

If anyone missed out on this thread, and wants to join, just post in the thread, and I'll get a notification and send you an invite.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Missed the thread but I'd love an invite.

This is something I'm engaging in and will get deeper into as my business grows and products hit the general market outside of kickstarter.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Awesome, I'll send you an invite anyway, join if you want.

Got the invite, thanks.

First question for you: When I send out an email, Gmail on desktop "hides" the images included in the email, and I have to click to enable them.

However, Gmail on my iPhone just shows all the images.

Did I mess something up when it comes to deliverability, or is this normal?

Your issue could be caused by a number of things, I'm not even really sure about this one, to be honest. I never really have this problem.

With that said, I'm assuming that you're using a main stream email service like MailCheat(Chimp), Aweber, etc and not sending the emails out of some custom software that you have running out of a closet (a lot of people still do that).

If you're embedding your images (inline) right into the email, then some email clients will not display the image properly. I have heard that Gmail doesn't like Base64 encoded images. So that could be the problem.

Also, if you're using a lot of images, especially embedded images then it will increase the size of your email, which could cause problems with images appearing.

I have found that the best approach is to link the image into the email from a Content Delivery Network such as Amazon's CloudFront. I think that most email clients do this nowadays.

I'd suggest using a service like Litmus dot com to test your emails, if you aren't already doing this. If you find that it's a huge problem then I can ask someone on the deliverability team for more info since I'm more on the marketing side.

Also, Gmail by default has "tabs" now that filter out promotional stuff. So, while emails in the promotions tab are technically not Spam, they may as well be.

Any tips for going straight to the inbox? Once one of your emails is sent to the Promotions Tab, are all future emails going to go there as well, no matter what?

This isn't really a straight forward answer, but here it goes.

Right now, Gmail is probably the most sophisticated mailbox, even compared to some of the big ones like Yahoo and Outlook. The reason for this is because Gmail is using machine learning to determine what to do with the mail, right down to the individual level. So if you consider something like Spam Filtering. Gmail is looks at spam in a completely different and more advanced way (i.e, machine learning) than Yahoo. Btw - we talk to the people at all of the mail services. Gmail is definitely lightyears ahead.

On the flip side, even though Gmail is so advanced, it does get confused sometimes when categorizing mail.

But with that said, the best thing that you can do is get people on your list to train their Gmail inbox to understand that they want to receive mail from you. With Gmail, that's what is all about.

So means writing emails that encourage people to respond back to you. Gmail will look at a response as a positive sign.

It also means asking people to whitelist your email, move it to the inbox, move it out of one tab and into the primary tab, etc... From a marketing perspective, this is where you have to be strategic in your initial on-boarding sequences and in the copy of your email.

For example, when someone signs up for a lead magnet, I like to make one of the first emails something that they can reply to so I can train the person's Gmail inbox that they want to engage with me.

There are of course, other tactics that you can use like not using buzzwords, not overloading your email with images, using the right choice of words in the subject... but tactics only go so far. Ultimately, you'll end up in the promotions tab at some point. But that isn't always a bad thing. And to answer your question... no if you hit the promotions tab once, you won't always hit it again.

Also consider this... the promotions tab isn't the worst spot in the world to be... if you are sending out promotions.

Why?

Because email is really heading in the direction of personalization.

There are some really interesting studies out there that show that ecommerce stores that end up in the promotions tab had a higher ROI than emails that ended up in the primary inbox. Upon digging deeper they discovered higher placement in the inbox lead to more spam complaints and an overall drop in deliverability. I'm not saying that the promotions tab is great, but I wouldn't get too hung up on it.

The key is in building a relationship with your list and sending more relevant mail. If you do that, then you should't have to worry about the promotions tab killing your ROI.

Finally, before you send an email I highly suggest creating a list of seed addresses at all of the primary inboxes. Always test your seed addresses first. If you see that your email is landing the promotions tab then go back to the content of your email and make tweaks, one at a time. I'll usually start with the subject, then look at the copy, then look at the images. One of the best things that I have found to hitting the main inbox is to just send out plain text personal looking emails. They always outperform the fancy well designed emails, for me at least.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Would love to join the group. Just started email marketing about a month ago and would love to learn/share.

Lukebrisbane

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Feb 19, 2014
Brisbane, Australia.
Ooooh yeah, invite me. This sounds great. I've got a request, so I sell men's grooming products and I've noticed some of the bigger guys in my industry e.g MR porter really correlate their products well into their email marketing. I suck at this, I want to smoothly.

Joaki

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Feb 15, 2015
FL
Cool guys, I'm gonna bump this and see if we get a few more interested, and then I'll send out the invites tonight.

My best slack groups have had 7-8 people so that's the ballpark of what I'm shooting for.
Im in! Been into email marketing for years. Also founded an email marketing automation software.

Looking forward to connecting with you guys!

PTP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
766%
Dec 28, 2015
DFW, TX
I would love to join. Currently have a couple auto-responder sequences set up and have one that generates customer video reviews that I'd love to share.

Tarma

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Aug 2, 2017
Italy
Hey. I am currently designing an email nurturing sequence for my business. I'd love to share with you what will work and what won't. So, count me in!

Sully1994

Business Development @ Sprout Social
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Nov 5, 2016
Chicago
Count me in! ( If there is still space)

Turtleman

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 1, 2017
Pittsburgh, US
I'd like to be added to this as well. I have a subscriber list of over 150,000 that took me 8 years to build and have just this year been able to make a full time income. I've learned a few things but would like to be apart of a group that was actually doing this stuff too.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
I'd like to be added to this as well. I have a subscriber list of over 150,000 that took me 8 years to build and have just this year been able to make a full time income. I've learned a few things but would like to be apart of a group that was actually doing this stuff too.

I neglected the group and it died. There hasn't been a chat in 2 months.

I was excited about email marketing at the time I made this thread, but quickly became overwhelmed with some other, more immediate, stuff in my business and life. And now I'm sold out... so... not much marketing happening on my end.

Maybe I'll try this again in the future.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.