The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm going to hit $500 a week before the end of June

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada
I need to get out of my current environment as fast as possible.

I live on the floor in my parents' house.

So far I've applied to 6 jobs, and have received a reply from 1 of them. The guy was impressed with my application, and wants to keep me around for a few more days as he finds the rest of the freelancers he needs. I guess imitating the writing style of the job posting helps.

I'm applying to 2-3 jobs a day, but it gets tough when I lose track of my vision. My aim is to move to Thailand for 3-6 months and work there while freelancing and building a software-based fastlane business. The thought came to me one day after reading a blog about digital nomads. I thought to myself, is there anything stopping me from moving to Chiang Mai once I'm 19 (in a few weeks)? Absolutely not. It would be a dream come true. Traveling, meeting awesome people, and being away from the negative influence of my parents? The greatest miracle of life.

My question is, how do I keep the vision alive while I'm doing the monotonous task of applying? I have good discipline (or so I think) from working out on and eating properly on a consistent basis, but as soon as I'm writing words that I know have a big chance of being ignored, I start to get anxious. I get thoughts like "Am I wasting my time? Should I be doing something else? What should I be doing? What if I don't apply to this job and I miss an opportunity?"

The fact is, if I keep sending 3 well-written, "you" based applications a day, I will eventually get steady work. The problem is my F*cking brain can't comprehend that. It thinks I need to be out partying and getting wasted with my friends. Or playing video games. Or not sitting at a coffee shop at 8PM while an old lady stares at me across the room.

I also hustle on Craigslist daily, so far I've made about $120 dollars from 2 pick-ups. I'm trying to specialize in apple products and cameras, since I know most about them. Seems to be a lucrative slowlane strategy for the time being, as you can easily 1.5x your cash if you can talk people down in price.

Anyways, hope I can get some advice from you guys. Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Motivation is what gets you started.

Habit is what keeps you going.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
My question is, how do I keep the vision alive while I'm doing the monotonous task of applying?

Easy. Don't just get lost in your 'vision'; act on it! Start making it a reality. Right now it's only a fantasy and that's why it's not present enough in your mind. Book a non-refundable plane ticket for a month from now. Would that be motivating enough?

The fact is, if I keep sending 3 well-written, "you" based applications a day, I will eventually get steady work. The problem is my F*cking brain can't comprehend that. It thinks I need to be out partying and getting wasted with my friends. Or playing video games. Or not sitting at a coffee shop at 8PM while an old lady stares at me across the room.

Read that quote above. Where's your drive? "...eventually..." Are you happy with 'eventually' finding work? SCREW THAT! Give yourself some deadlines and work harder. Read @SinisterLex's post about getting freelancing gigs. Do you really want this?! If you do, then make it happen! You're talking like you're not in control of the situation but the reality is you're the only one that is in complete control of everything!

There's nothing wrong with going out with friends but for you it seems to be a pattern that's undermining your goals and progress. Look for possible solutions until you remove the choice from your life. What are you doing with the rest of your day? Can you work on your freelancing at a different time so you don't feel like you have to make those hard choices. Or is there another way to remove that negative influence from your life entirely at this stage?

I also hustle on Craigslist daily...

Hustling isn't helping you to reach your goals. It's a distraction that's stealing your focus and your time. If you want to start freelancing to move out of your parents place, then give up on hustling and focus on your 'real' goals!

[AssKick] Call me crazy but I'm going the predict that in a year from now your situation might not be that much different than where you are now. You have the wrong mindset and you lack passion for your goals. You've put your indicator on and are already merging back into the slowlane. Thanks for coming out. [/Asskick]

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
I get thoughts like "Am I wasting my time? Should I be doing something else? What should I be doing? What if I don't apply to this job and I miss an opportunity?"

I've been getting a lot of this. Trick is to do it anyway. There's going to be a lot of things you're not going to wanna do. You're going to have to do them anyway.

Your brain will follow you when you've made it a habit. Don't give up before you even get there.

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada
I've been getting a lot of this. Trick is to do it anyway. There's going to be a lot of things you're not going to wanna do. You're going to have to do them anyway.

Your brain will follow you when you've made it a habit. Don't give up before you even get there.
Glad I'm not the only one. I've read the first couple chapters of The Power of Habit, and it really opened my perspective. Everything is a habit, whether we know it or not. It's crazy.

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada
Where in Canada are you?

If you're anywhere other than Vancouver, you should be using kijiji.
Why is that?

I'm in Vancouver and mostly use Craigslist, is Kijiji worth a try? I know it's supposed to be the "craigslist of Canada", but every time I look there I see half as many listings per category.

D

DeletedUser394

Why is that?

I'm in Vancouver and mostly use Craigslist, is Kijiji worth a try? I know it's supposed to be the "craigslist of Canada", but every time I look there I see half as many listings per category.

For whatever reason, BC is the only place in Canada that uses craigslist... every other province uses Kijiji pretty much exclusively. I'm in Alberta and 99% of current listings on classifieds are on kijiji.. the only thing you will find on craigslist here is asian hookers.

So when you said that you use Craigslist I was pretty sure you were in Vancouver haha.

Not sure why it is the way it is, but it's true.

I would stick to craigslist in BC.

AG356

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
599%
Apr 19, 2015
[AssKick] Call me crazy but I'm going the predict that in a year from now your situation might not be that much different than where you are now. You have the wrong mindset and you lack passion for your goals. You've put your indicator on and are already merging back into the slowlane. Thanks for coming out. [/Asskick]

I think I'll print this and put it on my wall.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
Glad I'm not the only one. I've read the first couple chapters of The Power of Habit, and it really opened my perspective. Everything is a habit, whether we know it or not. It's crazy.
To some degree, everyone struggles with it at some point.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
It's already been said in your replies but I would seriously recommend you read the book The Millionaire Fastlane , as you read that I think you will realise 2 main things:

1. Whilst saying you are dreaming of a Fastlane business you are actually doing all you can to join and stay in the slowlane

2. Because of your age it won't take much to nudge you onto the right course.

For me your situation is all about sacrifice; do you want to sacrifice your future by leaving your parent's house and jumping into a slow lane job? Or do you want to sacrifice a bit of comfort today for a better tomorrow?

The situation is clear, you have an idea - you live rent free - you make a bit of money hustling on CL.

When you break it down like this it is obvious what you need to do, stay at your parent's house, use the money you make to fund your idea or training so you are able to implement your idea, then just do it.

You dream of a lifestyle whereby you are coding on a beach somewhere, you are not going to get there working a crappy job, you are going to get there by telling yourself you can do it, then taking steps to make your dream come true.

If you leave your parent's house and accept one of these slow lane jobs you are so desperately trying to get, I guarantee you, you will not be coding on a beach in Thailand any time soon. No matter what crap your folks give you, they are not charging you any or very much rent, use this to your advantage, save your money and learn financial responsibility. Then translate that into your business, sacrifice today for tomorrow, not the other way round.

Good luck dude.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.