The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If you would have kids right now, how would you let them be educated?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Speculatooor

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jul 11, 2019
Netherlands
I find myself disapproving state education systems more and more. The school system made me hate books, learning, authority, etc.
It was just sitting in a chair, memorizing facts, cheating on tests. The only things I actually learned was how to socialize and things from teachers who were passionate, but unfortunately they were scarce.

In the end my self-education is what actually gave me knowledge and skills. I'd rather not let my future children go to a school system focused on making them wageslaves. Current system is a remnant of the industrial era.

But what are other options?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
First idea that comes to mind is 2-3 days a week at public school / private school and then the rest of the week having 8-hour "labs" that they are able to learn what they want from. Obviously some guided choices but the general idea is school for socializing and then at home learning more for learning skills and ideas.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Former teacher and current father.

There are home school groups/cooperatives that have field trips, organized athletics, social events, etc. if that is your choice.

Parents need to do an honest self-assessment of their abilities to teach reading, writing, math, science, etc. I have seen many "homeschool" examples of the children being way behind on their academic skills and reasoning. Some parents do not have the skills or patience needed to see this huge task through to the end.

There has to be some structure with the student's education. A mix of guided and self-directed education may work. The curriculum may have to be adjusted by individual. Some students really have no direction and will be lost with overwhelming choices. Some students thrive on structure, "Tell me what you want, and I will do it with perfection." Some are free thinkers and self-motivated.

If you partner with someone, public school, private school tutor, teacher, etc, do not ever blindly trust them. Your child's future is too important to blindly trust anyone. The emphasis is that your child is your responsibility. It is OK to partner with someone to help educate your child, but never trust them without checking on what is being taught and why.

You know education is a process. An education partner may be a great match for a season but may not be a good match for multiple years.

@Primeperiwinkle probably will have some input on this as well.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
My daughter is now three. This very subject makes me wake up with cold sweats in the middle of the night. I don't want my kids stepping foot in a government propaganda machine.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
There are overlaps and difference.

The problem is school performance relies on making as little mistakes as possible.

If you fail one module forget about having a great class honor.

This actually promotes and cultivates the play safe mindset for young people and punishes risk taking.

Whereas business, life and entrepreneurship is exactly opposite. You should make as many trial, test and mistake as possible and going after home run.

On a micro level, good learning skills, reading skill and good sensitivity to numbers are just universal skills in life that are useful to business as well.

There is overlap on attitude as well. In school you produce things that you teachers want to see. In corporate world you produce things that your boss want to see. In business your produce things that your clients want to see. Being successful in different games require a practical mindset that needs to be divorced from a self-centered attitude.

Kids that do well in schools are not just simply hardworking. They know how to play the games.

Last edited:

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
There are private schools with a slightly different curriculum, and above all more passionate teachers. I attended state schools in several european countries, but I have visited some Swiss private schools, international boarding schools etc., and I was impressed to say the least. You really sense the contrast. Possibly, motivated parents / students / teachers simply congregate where the education is excellent, or the education is excellent because of it. It is hard to judge. Schools with private resources do allow better access to sports, music, etc. though, important in developing learning / self-discipline.

The school system itself is less influential than the friends your child spends time with as a teenager, or how you as parents raise him/her, so in the grand scheme, school is not the decisive factor.

RussRussman18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 8, 2016
Louisiana
I have done lots of research into the real-world results of popular educational theory, and it basically doesn't work and is a massive waste of time and resources. It tries to change children's gender biological imperitives (causing mental illness), and raise their IQ (scientifically impossible through educational means, only MAYBE possible with experimental neurotrophics). Kind of the educational equivalent of "action faking".

My "educational plan" is to have both daughters and sons stay at home with the mother teaching them basic reading, writing and math. When the boys turn 13, I will let them start coming with me so I can teach them the things they will need to know as men

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Hey, been off of social media for a while, so I didn't see the tag.

Basically you have to start with pedagogy, the "why" behind education. I HIGHLY (EXTREMELY) recommend anything by John Taylor Gatto as he offers a big book online for free and everything he writes is from the perspective of someone within the school system who knows why it's so broken. He digs into the history of subordination and links our current school system with that.

Next up, I'd do a quick rundown of the main types of homeschooling. HSDLA has this covered here: What’s My Educational Approach or Homeschool Style?

Next up, a rabbit trail of awesomeness that will make learning a mindblowingly glorious exercise, for you AND your kids. Don't be scared, there are alternatives that are phenomenal out there, even for ppl with very poor education or ppl who don't have much internet access.

If you can read this you can easily receive and give one of the most elite levels of education. The internet is a great thing.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I'd work with my friends to find which of the moms in the group want to homeschool multiple children and hire tutors for support. You could probably pay a lot of bright undergraduate / graduate students who would be happy to teach for $50-75 an hour.

If I couldn't make that work as a permanent solution, I'd send them to the best private school that I could find, possibly moving near one if I had to.

I'd never send my kids to public school. Most kids are taught differently than rich kids - most kids are taught to be slaves.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.