The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If you know how to sell, what would you learn next?

Anything related to matters of the mind

ItsAJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 16, 2018
If you were already well versed in Sales, Marketing and Customer Service but had no other marketable skills, what would you focus on?

Is it worth learning a new skill? Or would you find an existing person without that sales ability and attempt to partner with them?

I had someone ask me the other day at my slowlane because they've been in sales for about 18 years. My go-to answer used to be coding because it was so accessible these days, but wasn't sure if that was always the right answer.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Doing something for 18 years doesn't directly translate into being good at it.

If you're good at sales, make a product people want to buy.

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Coding and any software development skill is a commodity now. You can get any pro with 5+ years experience for under 2k/mo from eastern Europe to work fulltime.

It's who can identify a real problem, create a solution and scale the fk out of it wins.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
If you were already well versed in Sales, Marketing and Customer Service but had no other marketable skills, what would you focus on?

Is it worth learning a new skill? Or would you find an existing person without that sales ability and attempt to partner with them?

I had someone ask me the other day at my slowlane because they've been in sales for about 18 years. My go-to answer used to be coding because it was so accessible these days, but wasn't sure if that was always the right answer.
There are a lot of new development in sales and marketing that just having decades of experience do not mean that you actually know them.

1) Digital Selling- Click Funnel
2) Selling to millennials and gen z
3) Generating recurring revenue in your business from a business that is not typically associated with recurring revenue
4) How to burn cash strategically (rebate, promotion, free stuffs) to grow your clients base (increasingly common now as business is highly competitive today)

A lot of old sales tactics no longer work with today’s clients who have a lot of choices, a lot of information and far less attention span for your pitch.

I would say one option is to keep up with the game and learn more related skills in sales and marketing.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
@eTox,

Totally off-topic, but one of the clients my agency works with has a full-time developer from eastern Europe and I believe they pay him about $2k a month, haha.

Is this the norm lately?

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013

I echo others' comments-- is he really "well versed", or has he just been doing it for a long time (18 years experience...or 1 year of experience, 18 times)?

If he truly is capable, which can be determined by whether he is a top performer in the company, there is no other ability required-- you can write your own ticket.

Then it's a matter of finding the ideal venue and highest/best use of that skill. This can mean changing employers, industries, venues, etc.

I consider sales one of the superpowers.

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
@eTox,

Totally off-topic, but one of the clients my agency works with has a full-time developer from eastern Europe and I believe they pay him about $2k a month, haha.

Is this the norm lately?
It always was. In Russian and other easter country provinces, even 1k will be enough.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

I’d say they wouldn’t need to learn another skill. Go sell the skills they already have. Then figure out how to scale.

Learn a skill. Sell the skill. Scale the skill.

www.TropicalMBA.com/services

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
I'd say people who ask that question have in backwards. It depends on what you want to accomplish.
You need to figure that out, first.

Wouldn't agree that software development skills were always a commodity. That got worse and worse over the last years - maybe decade - and I think it really hurt the whole tech industry.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

It's always worth it to learn a new skill. If you aren't growing, you are dying.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.