The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Idea - importing and rebranding an already existing product

Idea threads

jasonrego

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 22, 2018
toronto, canada
Solved a problem for myself and think can solve the same problem for others for profit.

Product :
Found face cream that cured a skin condition I had. There are many who have this skin condition but don't know the solution. I think I found something that can benefit lots of people. The marketing for this cream is non-existence; so no one is advertising this in mass and it’s only known in a smaller ethnic community. I believe I can do a better job of getting this product to a wider market. At least I want to try to do it because of the benefit to others and also I can make money while doing it.

I want to build a business based on this already existing product. How to go about it?

What I have done so far :
  • I have contacted the manufacturer who is in another country and requested wholesale price. Waiting for a reply back.
  • Contacted some cream-bottle manufactures in Alibaba to get some quotes for a container to repackage.
  • I might need to get some ads, logos and marketing materials written.
Questions:
  • I think I need to establish a new brand to market this product; don’t see much benefit for me by just reselling the product with the same name and brand.
  • What is the requirement of selling facial cream, or becoming a facial cream distributor? ( I am located in Canada).
  • I would want to have an online presence, I have some experience in online store creation and management.
  • If you want to take on the endeavor such this how would you go about it?
Any suggestion help and advice are welcome. Thanks for reading.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
You will need a lot of information provided by the manufacturer before you will be permitted to import the product. They will normally provide details of all ingredients, but if they have a secret or "proprietary" ingredient that they don't disclose, it will be found in testing, and you will be prohibited from importing the product.

This means that until you are certain that have have been honest with you, you should not spend money on samples. If you have obtained a sample, and the product is not patented, you can have it analyzed by an analytical laboratory for a few hundred dollars. You should remove labels or obtain an iron clad nondisclosure agreement so that the product won't be copied by a technician at the lab.

You will need to emphasize to your supplier the importance of full disclosure, but they don't have to disclose the ratios.

To find out what rules apply see: Canadian Cosmetic Rules . It will be complex but essential reading for you.

If and when you are ready to seriously think of importing the product, you might consider what my two books Global Sourcing and Labels that Exploit can do for you. In relation to both, I suggest that you don't import the packaging, you can find what you want in Canada.

Walter

jasonrego

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 22, 2018
toronto, canada
Thanks for the suggestion and advice so far.

Progress so far:
- No reply back from supplier yet. ( Still wating for contact back, maybe I have to get them on phone)
- got some cosmetic packaging containers form the local supplier (pic here)
mD9Csus.jpg

- there were some suggestion form another community regarding creating this bussiness.

you need to wait for the complete and detailed feedback of the owner because he may accept that you sell the product through a new brand but some owner may not accept that you ''white-label'' his product

and

This is for the U.S. but will give you some ideas of regulatory issues. You should look at the website of the Canadian equivalent of the FDA and see what they say about cosmetics. You should also look at liability prevention, such as through forming a corporate entity and/or insurance.

Cosmetics Guidance & Regulation
Cosmetics Importers
https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/resources-industry-cosmetics/small-businesses-homemade-cosmetics-fact-sheet

Monkeycom

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Aug 20, 2019
UK
Solved a problem for myself and think can solve the same problem for others for profit.

Product :
Found face cream that cured a skin condition I had. There are many who have this skin condition but don't know the solution. I think I found something that can benefit lots of people. The marketing for this cream is non-existence; so no one is advertising this in mass and it’s only known in a smaller ethnic community. I believe I can do a better job of getting this product to a wider market. At least I want to try to do it because of the benefit to others and also I can make money while doing it.

I want to build a business based on this already existing product. How to go about it?

What I have done so far :
  • I have contacted the manufacturer who is in another country and requested wholesale price. Waiting for a reply back.
  • Contacted some cream-bottle manufactures in Alibaba to get some quotes for a container to repackage.
  • I might need to get some ads, logos and marketing materials written.
Questions:
  • I think I need to establish a new brand to market this product; don’t see much benefit for me by just reselling the product with the same name and brand.
  • What is the requirement of selling facial cream, or becoming a facial cream distributor? ( I am located in Canada).
  • I would want to have an online presence, I have some experience in online store creation and management.
  • If you want to take on the endeavor such this how would you go about it?
Any suggestion help and advice are welcome. Thanks for reading.

Build yourself a database you can market to. It's the only way to build a sustainable business online. Don't rely on any 3rd party. Remember, online, the money is in the list (database).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.