The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I want to get out

A post of a ranting nature...

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
I'm getting pressured to go to college but I don't want to and I see myself ending up worse if I do go to college because the only thing waiting for me is F*cking student loan debt of 3million sek which I've calculated. Now I know asking for directions on this forum is like taboo for most members that try to be entrepreneurs but I need some inspiration right now. I think this path is the only thing that I can aspire to because I'm destined to be a failure if I take the regular path. I also know my chances in business is slim because I read somewhere 90% fail so what are my options? Do I just say F*ck society and become a goddamn hippie/anarchist, wherever that leads or is it worth it for me to try make something of myself in the context of capitalism? I need some perspective here and if you don't have anything constructive then just stay away.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
What do you want to do?

It's your life.

There are ways to attend college without going into debt.

Either path is difficult, but one is more difficult and leads to far greater reward.

If you seek greatness, then you have to be willing to do whatever it takes.

Either way, there's no rush. Take your time. Don't be afraid.

Think about what you want from life, and then decide.

Nobody else's opinion matters.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
What do you want to do?

It's your life.

There are ways to attend college without going into debt.

Either path is difficult, but one is more difficult and leads to far greater reward.

If you seek greatness, then you have to be willing to do whatever it takes.

Either way, there's no rush. Take your time. Don't be afraid.

Think about what you want from life, and then decide.

Nobody else's opinion matters.
I want to start a business because it's the best option out of all the others because of what lies at the end, it's like you said, the reward is much greater. I want to have freedom, I'm 20 years old, I never dreamed I would be pressured at this age. I had dreams of being a millionaire and the like but that flew out as soon as I entered this forum, if I can start a business where I can make enough to live comfortably and support my family if they ever need it then I'm happy.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
I like the odds of working on a business that makes you 6 figures a year vs finding a job out of college that will make you the same.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I want to start a business because it's the best option out of all the others because of what lies at the end, it's like you said, the reward is much greater. I want to have freedom, I'm 20 years old, I never dreamed I would be pressured at this age. I had dreams of being a millionaire and the like but that flew out as soon as I entered this forum, if I can start a business where I can make enough to live comfortably and support my family if they ever need it then I'm happy.

What exactly are you getting hung up on?

If you know you want to start a business, then there's not really anything holding you back.

You already have the answer to what you want to do, so now you need to figure out how to do it.

If you don't know where to start, you can always look around this forum for ideas.

However, if you just want something to pay the bills while working for yourself, then you could always apply for business loans and open a sandwich shop.

Not being sarcastic. The kind of business you're describing can be found pretty much everywhere you look.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I'm getting pressured to go to college but I don't want to and I see myself ending up worse if I do go to college because the only thing waiting for me is F*cking student loan debt of 3million sek which I've calculated.

You already know what the answer to this is going to be from here.
Where are you from?

Now I know asking for directions on this forum is like taboo for most members that try to be entrepreneurs but I need some inspiration right now. I think this path is the only thing that I can aspire to because I'm destined to be a failure if I take the regular path.
We can't give you a step by step. It's your path. Just note, not everyone here is making money. Some are some aren't.
Me personally, I have a job. My only source of income right now.

You must be willing to do things that others aren't.

I also know my chances in business is slim because I read somewhere 90% fail so what are my options?
Yes it's true, business do fail. The problem with those businesses are the people didn't learn anything. They think they know everything.

Do I just say F*ck society and become a goddamn hippie/anarchist, wherever that leads or is it worth it for me to try make something of myself in the context of capitalism? I need some perspective here and if you don't have anything constructive then just stay away.

My opinion is to look at your surroundings. Is there a way to go through college without debt? What degree could you go after that will provide you with outstanding opportunities in the future?

Right now you are stuck. You want to start a business, but you don't have an idea on what to do.
I'm at that same point.
In my opinion we're peers/equals. Even if I do have former business experience, you and I are at the same peg.

My opinion... go to school. Get whatever help you can get without going into debt.
Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut.
Build up a medium size nest egg THEN decide what it is you can do.
Most projects take money. If you don't have money to risk, then don't risk it.

As a candid view of the current comments in this thread, no one gave you actionable advice.
That's the only problem I see with this forum.

Too many bullshit inspirational quotes and not enough inspirational action.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
As a side note to everyone else here who is going to try to bash my comment

Look at the situation before you speak.
They don't have a business idea. They are 20 years old.
Experience is necessary for success. (You can learn from other's experience.)

While you might provide a simple answer like "build a business" or "be better" both of which are good answers however, they hurt the situation.

How do you build a business?
How do you be better?

Give your answer serious thought.

Starting is one of the hardest parts from my experience.
Especially when you don't have any idea on what it is that you want to do or any skills to draw from.

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
If your being pressured to take a leap onto which you would have to take the financial responsibility, throw everyone else's opinion out the window. Once you make that leap you are on your own.
I am in college atm, I do it because I have a lot of free time to work on fastlane ventures. If I was paying for it on my own I wouldn't be in it.

My dad is cutting me off in two years, he says I should go to graduate school. I told him if he wasn't paying for it I wouldn't do it. Solved the problem.

Do what you wish to do with your time and money, especially if your money is involved.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
I'm from sweden, the reason I can't just say no to the beaten path is because while it's easy to say "I want to start a business" it's not a legitimate option because I'm completely clueless on what that entails and not going to college/university and failing in business would be the worst possible outcome.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
would be the worst possible outcome.

Forget about the worst possible outcome. If it doesn't kill you it isn't the worst.

Forget about failure because it's going to happen.

Instead, start thinking in terms of what you can learn from each failure, because this is how you grow.

In my opinion success starts with your mindset.

Your first action step should be to learn a little.

Since you don't have any business experience books, blogs, or even instructions on sites like ebay will be your best friend.

After you learn a little you can work on your financial situation.

Some options include getting a job until you have enough money to start a business.

Or, you could start hustling right away and try selling something on craigslist, or maybe writing ebooks for Amazon.

These will get you some money, and will give you wiggle room for trying your hand at a real business.

As you do these things you'll start to gain confidence in yourself and your abilities, and in time it will become easier to take action.

Note, that this doesn't mean business necessarily gets any easier.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I also know my chances in business is slim because I read somewhere 90% fail

"Statistically you have a higher chance of getting struck by lightning twice than getting attacked by a shark. Doesn't matter once you're in the shark's mouth." -Dad

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Last edited by a moderator:

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
I'm from sweden, the reason I can't just say no to the beaten path is because while it's easy to say "I want to start a business" it's not a legitimate option because I'm completely clueless on what that entails and not going to college/university and failing in business would be the worst possible outcome.

Why? Even if 10 years from now you decide being an entrepreneur isn't for you and you want to go to college, then go to college then. There's nothing stopping you from deciding to start a business in 10 years, and there's nothing stopping you from deciding to go to college in 10 years. You don't even have to make up your mind now, neither one of these doors close at age 18.

Since you seem like you really have no idea what to do, I would hold off on going to debt in college. Take some time to figure out. Don't just sit around working as a waiter or a cashier. Take one of those jobs on a cruise ship and travel. Save up some money, and for around ~$8500 you can take your pick of comfortable living pretty much anywhere in southeast Asia.

I remember in the past with these threads EVERY response was "Start a business." Now it seems like EVERY response is "Go to college and start a business." I think that is worse advice. If you have no clue what you want to do with your life, going to college is a stupid choice. Even if you are a "slowlaner", it makes no sense to me.

Ever notice how colleges always say "It's okay if you don't know what you want to do, come anyway and find yourself." Fits well with their agenda to suck as much money as they can out of students. What better way to find yourself then getting drunk every week and making unconscious decisions? If it takes 5 years to do your degree, all the better!

Growth & Learn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California
Do I just say F*ck society and become a goddamn hippie/anarchist, wherever that leads or is it worth it for me to try make something of myself in the context of capitalism? I need some perspective here and if you don't have anything constructive then just stay away.

There are many more possibilities and outcomes than the black and white ones you listed above. Your framing the situation in a somewhat limiting way.

Do you have any sellable skills or an ability to create a product yet? If you don't go to college (and not saying you should but just asking) what do you plan on doing with your time to trying and create value for society? That's how you'll make money. Create value for people.

JPHerrmann

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 20, 2014
Im going to go ahead and say you are in a spot where you feel like you need to know everything about the world right now. I was there not long ago..trust me. you don't want millions of dollars and retirement right now. It might seem like thats what you want.. but its not. Life is about experiences, and challenges are what get us the most unique experiences.

Heres my RANT! If you SERIOUSLY give two shits about business, you won't be on here talking about how you don't know ANYTHING about it! You will be online exploring EVERY single industry and learning about them. This is the information age!!!!!, you don't need college,go to google, you only need to want to learn!!! life is about learning, wisdom and honorable success though adding value to society is the most fulfilling life you can make.. Money, flash, and no worries is a mediocre life and is not respectable or fulfilling (Especially to respectable people).

Go out there and talk small business owners and managers, research online about industries and companies you are interested in.

I am still in college and own an automotive shop, trade stocks, go on about 6 short trips a year and enjoy what I do, I have learned more than anyone I have even met out of college, within one year of constant daily research of all of the industries I have interests in. I am continuing my college career until I finish my degree in economics at yale. The reason I chose college was because of networking opportunities but most importantly, a Yale University degree will evoke confidence in future business partners and investors, and also it is fulfilling to have overcome the challenges of an ivy league school.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
Ok dude, what are you even talking about 3 million sek for university?

View attachment 8872

Disregarding the fact that most people don't even pay any tuition, the most expensive program at Malmo is 210,000 sek for the entire 3 years.
Yeah, sweden got free education pretty much but since I was declined or put in reserve twice I decided to look to UK, there it's about 7-9k pounds per year which after 3 years gets around 200k which is around 2-3 million sek in swedish currency. It's not 100% accurate but I refuse to take student loans and since making this thread. I made up my mind, I'm gonna start a business, no turning back, whatever happens happens. Gonna do everything from reading books, success stories, hang around the forum, study billionaires and eventually do something legit.

D

DeletedUser394

Yeah, sweden got free education pretty much but since I was declined or put in reserve twice I decided to look to UK, there it's about 7-9k pounds per year which after 3 years gets around 200k which is around 2-3 million sek in swedish currency. It's not 100% accurate but I refuse to take student loans and since making this thread. I made up my mind, I'm gonna start a business, no turning back, whatever happens happens. Gonna do everything from reading books, success stories, hang around the forum, study billionaires and eventually do something legit.

That's a good plan.

But I still don't understand how 9k pounds x 3 years = 200,000 pounds. Were you planning on living in Knightsbridge and buying a Mercedes?

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
That's a good plan.

But I still don't understand how 9k pounds x 3 years = 200,000 pounds. Were you planning on living in Knightsbridge and buying a Mercedes?
Oh shit, my bad. I messed up lol, it was supposed to be 27k pounds. Since 9k pounds is like 90k sek, I got it all confused, F*ck my math lol. it'd be 300k sek not 3million lol.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Oh shit, my bad. I messed up lol, it was supposed to be 27k pounds. Since 9k pounds is like 90k sek, I got it all confused, F*ck my math lol. it'd be 300k sek not 3million lol.

You see, you're already learning your weak points just by hanging out here.

:)

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
You see, you're already learning your weak points just by hanging out here.

:)
I've been hit with reality since I've read first 4 chapters of TMF and reading the Golds on this forums. Also I've learned alot from Mark Cuban's Shark Tank videos on youtube which I've only watched few hours ago. Getting a feel for what it's like to do business and making decisions about investing in certain businesses.

Lone Wolf

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 15, 2014
I was in the exact same situation as you a couple of months ago. I didn't want to go to Uni, but it was literally the only path my family/friends/teachers knew, so they really pushed it on me. The guilt and pressure on me was ten-fold because I had the opportunity to go to Uni for £3k a year (not the regular £9k a year), due to Welsh government financing (it was the last year they're running the program)..

Anyway, I decided against University, despite what everyone was saying. I've now got an online business that brings in £1.5k a month (just basic reselling/importing - but I've managed to find a good niche).

In two weeks I'm going on a business internship in China (it was supposed to be much earlier, but there have been numerous delays). So that might be something to consider yourself. You'll get out, you'll get first hand business experience, you'll gain confidence, you'll have an amazing life experience and you'll add to your CV if you ever need to fall back on it (again, I haven't been yet, so these are just the benefits I hope to experience).

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
I was in the exact same situation as you a couple of months ago. I didn't want to go to Uni, but it was literally the only path my family/friends/teachers knew, so they really pushed it on me. The guilt and pressure on me was ten-fold because I had the opportunity to go to Uni for £3k a year (not the regular £9k a year), due to Welsh government financing (it was the last year they're running the program)..

Anyway, I decided against University, despite what everyone was saying. I've now got an online business that brings in £1.5k a month (just basic reselling/importing - but I've managed to find a good niche).

In two weeks I'm going on a business internship in China (it was supposed to be much earlier, but there have been numerous delays). So that might be something to consider yourself. You'll get out, you'll get first hand business experience, you'll gain confidence, you'll have an amazing life experience and you'll add to your CV if you ever need to fall back on it (again, I haven't been yet, so these are just the benefits I hope to experience).
Wow, that's amazing. I should follow in your footsteps lol.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Don't wanna go? Then don't. If your parents threaten to kick you out, get a job and live on your own. Hell, even if they let you live at home, get a job anyway. Full-time, minimum wage if you have to. On your spare time, build a business. You'll probably fail at it the first few times and end up losing money.

Be independent.

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
What does "declinec or put in reserve" mean? Going to UK seems expensive, what part of your story are we missing?

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
What does "declinec or put in reserve" mean? Going to UK seems expensive, what part of your story are we missing?
You apply through this site in sweden where x amount of people will be accepted, the rest are put in reserve. If you're like nr.2 then you'll be taken if two people drop out of what you applied to but most of the time you're in the hundreds if not thousands so there is no point. You can put yourself our of reserve by saying no to whether you'd like to stay in reserve or not.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.