The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I rather be a failed entrepreneur than an average employee that never took a risk

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
Unfortunately, many entrepreneurs have to deal with this from family and friends. You have to decide how you deal with it. Does it motivate you or make you give up?

My mother in law has been giving me a hard time for 5+ years about my "eBay business". That is exactly what she says "your quote business" Both my mother in law and father in law have no idea how to handle money let alone run a business but yet they feel the need to poke fun at my business any chance they get. Over Christmas my father in law asked me how much was the most i had spent at a time on inventory. I told him $2,000. (I have actually spent over 30k at a time multiple times) he proceeded to tell me how i was taking way too big of a risk ($2000 is a big risk?). He is in his 60's working as a cleaner at a big box store and will have to work until he dies. My stupid little business? I made a $30,000 profit last month.

Use the doubters to propel you to new heights!

Awesome post man. Your thread is very inspiring.

Your post reminds me of the time someone asked how much I paid for my last order. I told them to guess and their guess was $3k. The look on their face when I said $13k was priceless.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
if Billy has a house and a Mercedes, he's successful, if you don't, you're not.

Amazing. Billy slaves his life for a weekend, is up to his eyeballs in debt, and because he has the house/Mercedes, he's successful.

And the guy with a 10 year old Honda, has no debt, and owns every single day of his life, he's, well, a hippie.

Kinda reminds me of slowmo...
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/01/opinion/slomo.html?_r=0

Around this time, during a business trip to San Diego, my father had a chance meeting on the Pacific Beach boardwalk with John Kitchin, an old medical school classmate. My dad barely recognized Dr. Kitchin, who was meticulously skating up and down the promenade, blasting inspirational music from speakers hidden under his shirt. Disillusioned with a life that had become increasingly materialistic, he had abruptly abandoned his career as a neurologist and moved to a studio by the beach. The locals called him Slomo, knowing little about his past life, but cheering and high-fiving him as he skated by in slow motion. He had become a Pacific Beach institution. I was intrigued.

Tobore

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 30, 2013
Above and Beyond
Do I know much? But what I know is this:

The entrepreneurial journey is like walking thru a dark tunnel filled with people who aren't going no where.
The light is at the end. The people are many.
The only way to walk through the tunnel is when you close your eyes and open your mind.

This helps me stop seeing the people and start keeping the faith.

I guess we all started with seeing the light not with our bare eyes. We started without knowing the how's to anything.

I strongly believe that's the only way to continue.

I like to shut my eyes so I don't get to see them even if I love most of them. So I can open my mind to see what's more important.

I'll prefer to go against the world than to be poor or mediocre.

falcon87pl

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
Poland
My story is a bit different becuase my first "online business" turned out to be successful. I was a passenger earning nice money. The owner changed rules after 3 months but I managed to earn money I would have to work for 2 years earning the minimum wage. And that happened exactly 3 months before my graduation from technical university :)

At that time I thought that earning money can not be simpler. I was laughing when someone suggested that I should get a job and do business part-time. Because I succeeded my parents and my fiance (currently wife) tolerated my new ideas. And...

1,5 year later I had no money, no job, no idea for the next business. It turned out that MLMs and other "internet investments" are not the way I should follow. It hurt like hell. The turning point was when my wife said that she really believed in me and suported me but now she does not feel safe with me. That was like a cold shower.

I am currently working 9-5 but my goal is not to pursue the career in IT. The idea of fastlane is all the time in my head and I have enough discipline to spend my free time more efficiently. I realised the meaning of the word "responsibility" when my son was born a few months ago. I now that I have to work hard part-time to start the business that would allow me to make the living for my family. What is really important is that my wife understands the idea of passive income and if I start the business that seems promising, she is going to support me.

Why the 9-5 job is not a bad idea:
- you have to tolerate some people that you do not really like
- someone else decides when you are working (24/7/365 support)
- someone else decides when you can go on vacation
- you have to spend 1-2 years to start earning 20% more

and so on and so on

If you have a proper mindset it can be good motivation to work hard during your free time :)

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Ok, so I posted my goofy meme response. Here's a real one. This is my inbox:

LcDFmgJ.png

Cynthia is my mom. Every partially blacked email is a position opening in a variety of different fields. I get a minimum of 20 a week from her.

If your from a good home, your parents love you. I'd take a bullet for my mom, but it's hard to snap out of a mindset that's been ingrained for a long time. My brother and sister have pensions, and health benefits, and leave the house to work. I don't, and I usually don't. And that causes a lot of worry. It's also hard for them when the definition of success is different. Like @kph200 said, if Billy has a house and a Mercedes, he's successful, if you don't, you're not.

Parents will worry. Appreciate it as a sign of concern, and move on. Projecting calm and confidence goes a long way too, if you're not worried, they won't worry as much.

Um... that's beyond acceptable.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Your time is limited and it's yours alone to choose how you spend it.
All people have to live their own lives and live with their choices.

You're the one whose going to have to deal with the choices you make. Not them.
So do what will help you be where YOU want to be. Become what YOU want to become.

Besides...they aren't attacking you...they are just defending the choices they made for themselves by dismissing your choices.

Not to be super pessimistic but the truth is Inside, on a deep level, nobody cares about your ambitions, dreams, etc.
They only care about themselves. And that's normal, we all as humans are hard-wired to be self-preserving.

Just got to realize that and stop letting other people's beliefs and mindsets affect yours.
Can't please everyone, 7 billion people out there.

Some will like you, some won't. Some will approve, some won't. It's life.
Find the likeminded ones and hang with them.

My 2c.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
i guess there's no point in arguing with slowlane parents.I'll just have to do what I need to do.

That is the point! You never win with them because they know everything they don't know. lol

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
dismissing your choices.

I think this one can become another trigger point. Dominance dismisses your existence and through their constant nagging and disapproval when you're around them all the time is you become filled with self-doubt and chaos and confusion. It's basically belief systems clashing and not knowing why? The mindsets are completely different and you start questioning everything you know and what I used to do was look at the answers and know I was right, but couldn't figure it out, and then you understand it's the personality, beliefs, and mindset that clashes and it can be to the point where they hate everything you are and it doesn't feel real nice when you're in the middle of it. And setting boundaries and standing up for your dream is a huge must.

It really depends on how dominate and controlling the parent is and then it can get real extreme. It's best just to get out of the situation and do your thing if it's to bad and leave them out of it.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012

valuecreator

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Apr 16, 2015
Australia
Failure is not not an option. Focus on what you want to do.

True communication only takes place among equals. And as sad as it might be, financially speaking, you and your family and friends are not equals anymore: You chose the higher financial path.

Just say "f*ck it" (which isn't easy, considering the difficulty of pronouncing an asterisk) and baffle them with bullshit. That's what they get fed by TPTB anyways so they're used to it.

my old mentor use to tell a joke:

"There was this old man attempting to proposition a young hot girl to screw his lights out.

He asked, "Will you go to bed with me for $1,000,000?"

She thought about it, knowing that he was wealthy and could afford it and agreed.

Then he asked, "Will you go to bed with me for $10,000?"

She looked at him oddly, thought about it for a time, and responded that as she could use the cash, that she would.

Then he asked the young lady, "Will you go to bed with me for $50?"

She angrily questioned, "Just what do you think that I am?!?"

He answered her, "We have already determined that. Now we are haggling price."

Everyone has a price for their precious little time on this planet. You just choose yours. Your family chose theirs. Good on them!

Last edited by a moderator:

lllp

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 11, 2015
Very inspiring article :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastlanebeast876

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 10, 2015
I think this one can become another trigger point. Dominance dismisses your existence and through their constant nagging and disapproval when you're around them all the time is you become filled with self-doubt and chaos and confusion. It's basically belief systems clashing and not knowing why? The mindsets are completely different and you start questioning everything you know and what I used to do was look at the answers and know I was right, but couldn't figure it out, and then you understand it's the personality, beliefs, and mindset that clashes and it can be to the point where they hate everything you are and it doesn't feel real nice when you're in the middle of it. And setting boundaries and standing up for your dream is a huge must.

It really depends on how dominate and controlling the parent is and then it can get real extreme. It's best just to get out of the situation and do your thing if it's to bad and leave them out of it.
I read few of your posts and you have great understanding behind people psychology! Thnks for the knowledge Mattie. Im gonna follow

Zl1996

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Mar 25, 2015
Everyone (people without successful business endeavors) here should consider the idea of working a slowlane job and working on a fastlane project at the same time. If you find a slow-slow-lane job that you can do personal work at, you can be making money while getting ready to spring board into an entrepreneurial endeavor. Plus, the job will give you motivation to succeed.

Don't use your fast lane aspirations as an excuse for laziness.

Darko Jocic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 14, 2014
Serbia
"I'm wrong, everyone else is right, and they're opposing me."

It's a very scary thought, even if somewhat incomplete. I certainly agree.

It worries me to a far greater extent, what if "I am right, everyone else is wrong, and they're opposing me." is the case?

Now, that is a scary notion.

You may be wrong, they may be wrong, or all of you may be wrong. Or right. It's a matter of perspective. However, there is an important truth in all of it.

You want something. In order to have it, you take it.

That's all there is to it. Wealth isn't made from opinions, it's made from action. For all you know, you may be wrong in doing what you are doing. Still, doing it will make you money.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
late to the game here, but, some simple advice I've learned to accept:

Never talk about money with people who don't know anything about money.

--
It's just absolutely not worth it. For either of you.

When friends ask how you're business is doing:
'Yeah, it's going great, thanks!'

When people ask how much you make, or what sort of sales the business is generating monthly.
'We're doing pretty good, it keeps growing, thanks!'

When you're parents ask when you're going to buy a house, or mercedes and settle down.
"I'm working on it guys, thanks for checking in!'

It sounds defensive and perhaps even mean spirited, but, just don't engage them.
You'll have your turn in the sun.

Attachments

• dreams.jpg
    dreams.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 41

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
my old mentor use to tell a joke:

"There was this old man attempting to proposition a young hot girl to screw his lights out.

He asked, "Will you go to bed with me for $1,000,000?"

She thought about it, knowing that he was wealthy and could afford it and agreed.

Then he asked, "Will you go to bed with me for $10,000?"

She looked at him oddly, thought about it for a time, and responded that as she could use the cash, that she would.

Then he asked the young lady, "Will you go to bed with me for $50?"

She angrily questioned, "Just what do you think that I am?!?"

He answered her, "We have already determined that. Now we are haggling price."

Everyone has a price for their precious little time on this planet. You just choose yours. Your family chose theirs. Good on them!

haah favourited

I'm going to tell my grandkids that one day

hatzil

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Nov 29, 2015
Israel
I can relate to that feeling. even people that i really love tell me such things. but i stopped giving a F*ck. from their reality i can understand them,they want the best for me, but actually i do the best for me

good luck my friend

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
You may be wrong, they may be wrong, or all of you may be wrong. Or right. It's a matter of perspective. However, there is an important truth in all of it.

So take this point and view it without the possibility of being wrong. Take out the idea that it is right or wrong. This concept has been drilled into us since we were little.

You are correct that it is ALL a matter of perspective. Make it an experience, not a judgement.

Do what you are driven to do. Enjoy the results without judging them.

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
"I'm wrong, everyone else is right, and they're opposing me."

It's a very scary thought, even if somewhat incomplete. I certainly agree.

It worries me to a far greater extent, what if "I am right, everyone else is wrong, and they're opposing me." is the case?

Now, that is a scary notion.

That's all there is to it. Wealth isn't made from opinions, it's made from action. For all you know, you may be wrong in doing what you are doing. Still, doing it will make you money.
that's so true you know even elon musk said that when you're starting a business you are always wrong because there is alot uncertainty and so many things that happen that can affect your business. what you of to do as an entrepreneur is to be less wrong, by going at it and trying it out and as time goes by and you fail and you learn more about your market and business and you begin to position your self in the martket place by talking to your customers finding out what their pain points are and how you can adapt to that and learn more about other important elements about your business you are going to see that you are now more confident about your idea than last week, last month and last year.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.