The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I must not want it

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I thought he teaches because he enjoys it and has a few investments working for him from his time before he was a teacher?
I did not start investing until after teaching a couple of years. My stuff worked and i quit teaching. I got bored and missed the kids. Teach now because i want to not because i have to.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Oz no mean to rude but why are you here if you are perfectly content with a 9-5?

Runum's a school teacher and he's got the highest speed of any active member. I don't think there's a correlation between being happy with a job and wanting to leverage Fastlane assets.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I did not start investing until after teaching a couple of years. My stuff worked and i quit teaching. I got bored and missed the kids. Teach now because i want to not because i have to.
I just don't get tired of hearing this story. It sounds better when told in person with a beer in your hand though.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Why is leaving the forum something that has to be announced?

To illicit feedback on the decision. Also the fear of nobody noticing or caring, I imagine.

We all want to think we'll be missed.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
We all want to think we'll be missed.
True that. When I go deep into working mode, I rarely visit the forum and nobody notices. You see people disappear and others keep things moving forward.

And this is good. When my business is successful, I want it to run on autopilot, without my direct involvement. I don't want people to notice when I 'disappear' to some exotic location.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
I must not want to be a millionaire, or else why am I wasting so much time here?

I'm going on a temporary leave from this forum, and from pretty much the whole internet besides my emails. Why am I telling you? I don't want to go back on my word and seem fickle, so I have to do that lol.The internet sucks so much of my time, more than anything else, and it's my worse enemy.

I came up with a fastlane idea, so I'll just go with that for now.

talk to you later.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
The Fastlane Forum is a motivator for me. Every time I get stalled on something I can come here and get pumped and get inspired to take physical action and keep plugging away on my goals---

I can see how it would be a waste, if all you did was post about things on the forum that had nothing to do with business, or progressing your ideas and projects.

I am also sorry- but I am still trying to figure out if Lights is a) a troll, b) a man in a basement, or c) an aspiring entrepreneur... I am not trying to be funny--- But your posts are always so random and bizarre to me all the time--- I see your miles went up by 10...

Good luck Lights!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Lights is a valued member of this forum. Without her, this forum would just be a boring hunk of idea threads and business advice. Who the hell wants to read that?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, tough crowd.

A lot of us don't understand the "Lights" thought process but isn't that what makes the forum interesting? Sometimes the "out in left field" perspective can be educational from a marketing/needs standpoint.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Why is leaving the forum something that has to be announced?

internet suicide
When someone in a forum, newsgroup, etc. says they are leaving (sometimes "and never coming back"), but actually wants to see how people react to their leaving. Usually as the result of drama

Urban Dictionary: internet suicide

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

OzGrinder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I guess that's the great thing about being an employee, it allows for some good internet forum time. In the 2 minutes it takes me to write this post I will have earned $2.57, nice! I don't think I'd be here posting this if I were working for myself and not already earning passively.

I may be driving in the slowlane, but at least I'm one of the few on it in cruise control... As you guys overtake me in the fastlane be sure to wave, I'm the guy kicking back with his feet on the dash and no hands on the wheel. :)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Oz I don't mean to rude but why are you here if you are perfectly content with a 9-5?

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
I am also sorry- but I am still trying to figure out if Lights is a) a troll, b) a man in a basement, or c) an aspiring entrepreneur...

I'm still trying to figure out if Lights is a human or spambot.

By the way, you can't just HIDE from society. Especially for someone who wants to be in the fastlane.

OzGrinder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Oz no mean to rude but why are you here if you are perfectly content with a 9-5?

Not rude at all, legit question.

I wouldn't say I was perfectly content. Reasonably Content yes. But we can always aspire to be something better can't we?
I think alot of people here HATE their jobs, and that's a great motivator! I don't, so getting motivated can be more difficult, it's so easy to just turn on cruise control and relax when your content.

Have a look at my introduction post a few months back to see where I'm coming from. Essentially within 6 years I've reached the top of my profession, there's nowhere else to go unless I want to shoot for exec management ie. CIO. No thanks.

When I took my first job the goal was to save enough capital and gain business experience so that I was better positioned to go out on my own. I've reached the point where I have enough capital now to do that, I also have business experience. I am in the process of building a business, but there is no point leaving my full time until that takes off.

My post in this thread was kind of meant tongue in cheek, I guess what I'm getting at is sometimes having a great job can be more of a trap than someone that feels they are trapped in their crappy job, if you get my drift.

OzGrinder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Hey Oz: if you like your job and are saving a large chunk of money from it, what have you been looking into as far as investing? You can be a Slowlaner and leverage Fastlane techniques.

Australian banks return 5%-6% interest on cash, so that's a nice guaranteed (almost, it's goverment backed if the bank goes bust) return. The cash is easily accessible there too, the only problem with that is tax on the interest. Also Superannuation (Ozzie version of 401k), lots of tax breaks on that. Long term value shares.

Generally speaking returns on investments are directly correlated to the risk of that investment. If I'm going to invest in risky assets the potential returns need to be above and beyond a guaranteed 5%-6%, or offer some significant tax advantage. I'm always open to opportunities though.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
This is true. As they say, "Everybody gets what they want."

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Hey Oz: if you like your job and are saving a large chunk of money from it, what have you been looking into as far as investing? You can be a Slowlaner and leverage Fastlane techniques.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Personally I think this is the best move she could have made.

It's not uncommon for people to use very valuable resources (books, forums, events) as excuses not to take action. As long as you are surrounding yourself with knowledge you feel better about not actually doing anything. They FEEL like the right activities. "I'm not wasting time, I'm learning!" "It's better than watching Jersey Shore!" Etc...

Perhaps the recent (and I wouldn't necessary say uncalled for) goads directed towards her gave her a wake-up call. With any luck she is taking things more seriously today than she was yesterday.

Quite frankly I would be first in line to applaud her if she came back with some modicum of success. It would be a valuable story of how she broke free from mental masturbation - lots of people have this problem and would love to hear her that story.

Of course, if you asked me to bet on the likeliness of this actually happening I'd politely decline...

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Runum's a school teacher and he's got the highest speed of any active member. I don't think there's a correlation between being happy with a job and wanting to leverage Fastlane assets.

I thought he teaches because he enjoys it and has a few investments working for him from his time before he was a teacher?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.