The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I made a cool electronic device, need help

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
**See attached files at bottom of post**
Problem: Cats get onto countertops and eat food, etc
Solution: Motion sensor device that creates motion and sound when the cat walks near the sensor.

This is the product that inspired me (and I hope to have similar result):

Current situation: I don't have a cat. I thought my coworker was going to be interested in letting me come to his place with all his animals. He doesn't seem to be interested.
I would be interested in a business deal with somebody on the forum who has a cat, knows people with cats, and/or has a lot of experience and sees something in this product.

Cost of goods: If I buy all parts in bulk, the COGS is $12. If I buy one-off retail parts, the COGS is around $24.
Time to make: If I use a solderless breadboard, I can probably make 10 per hour with a good process in place.
Misc info: I'm using a little 9v battery (similar to double aa). I want to avoid a wall plug in, so I avoid electrical hazards. I would like to start selling these on etsy to start with. The enclosure I use is temporary. I would like to use something more marketable in the future.
Marketing: If I can get good videos with cats, marketing would be a piece of cake for once. I would use instagram and reddit for viral vids. I have plenty of experience marketing with large instagram accounts.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• IMG_0286.MOV
    9.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0273.JPG
    IMG_0273.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 7

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
I also have a motion sensor with audio that uses obi-wan's "Hello There." It's a famous meme on reddit. I posted the product on reddit and got people wanting to buy it already. I'll order enough parts to make 10 units and probably sell them after christmas
upload_2018-12-16_17-26-52.png

ManlyMansNegator

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 29, 2018
Australia
**See attached files at bottom of post**
Problem: Cats get onto countertops and eat food, etc
Solution: Motion sensor device that creates motion and sound when the cat walks near the sensor.

This is the product that inspired me (and I hope to have similar result):

Current situation: I don't have a cat. I thought my coworker was going to be interested in letting me come to his place with all his animals. He doesn't seem to be interested.
I would be interested in a business deal with somebody on the forum who has a cat, knows people with cats, and/or has a lot of experience and sees something in this product.

Cost of goods: If I buy all parts in bulk, the COGS is $12. If I buy one-off retail parts, the COGS is around $24.
Time to make: If I use a solderless breadboard, I can probably make 10 per hour with a good process in place.
Misc info: I'm using a little 9v battery (similar to double aa). I want to avoid a wall plug in, so I avoid electrical hazards. I would like to start selling these on etsy to start with. The enclosure I use is temporary. I would like to use something more marketable in the future.
Marketing: If I can get good videos with cats, marketing would be a piece of cake for once. I would use instagram and reddit for viral vids. I have plenty of experience marketing with large instagram accounts.
Would be cool if you made a barking sound when they are on counter.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.