The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

I want to build an electronic vape device, where can I find someone to design it for me?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

m1kesta

New Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
I'm looking to build an electronic vape "type" device. Slightly different than what is on the market. Are manufacturers overseas normally technically inclined to make advanced changes, or am I better of finding an engineer in the US (where I live) to help me design the technical and electrical architecture of the product?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

happybhoy

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Jan 2, 2015
Ecosse
Hey there, over here in Europe the EU has classified vaping as a tobacco product and have introduced restrictions which come into force this month. The restrictions are things like a 2ml maximum tank size on devices and max bottle size of 10ml.
Earlier this week the FDA followed and also classified vaping as a tobacco product, so expect the same kind of restrictions.
Just something for you to think about as any rules which come in might make your new design obsolete.
I personally see the rule change as an opportunity.

OP
OP
m1kesta

m1kesta

New Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
Hey there, over here in Europe the EU has classified vaping as a tobacco product and have introduced restrictions which come into force this month. The restrictions are things like a 2ml maximum tank size on devices and max bottle size of 10ml.
Earlier this week the FDA followed and also classified vaping as a tobacco product, so expect the same kind of restrictions.
Just something for you to think about as any rules which come in might make your new design obsolete.
I personally see the rule change as an opportunity.
Great points. My product targets a slightly different market, but still valid points. We also just had a new law passed that bans vaping in public areas - it's definitely a changing landscape.

However, my current hurdle is finding a platform where I can find engineers on a contract basis. Preferably with some sort of portfolio so I can see their past work. Is there such thing? If not, do you know what the alternative process would look like? I basically need someone to turn my ideas into a working model in a technical language a manufacturer could replicate overseas. :)

David Young

Bronze Contributor
Jun 1, 2015
I remember seeing a prototype for the original ipod. The designer lashed together a very simple representation using cardboard. The point being that I would recommend you try and build your prototype using available material- doesn't necessary have to work but just show the form. I appreciate this is a little old school but it is a lot easier to convey you ideal to a third party if you have a real world model to show. It will also give you a feel for the product that you don't always get using CAD based modelling. Scanning and 3D printing is also a viable for manufacture short production runs items during the prototype stage.

OP
OP
m1kesta

m1kesta

New Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
I remember seeing a prototype for the original ipod. The designer lashed together a very simple representation using cardboard. The point being that I would recommend you try and build your prototype using available material- doesn't necessary have to work but just show the form. I appreciate this is a little old school but it is a lot easier to convey you ideal to a third party if you have a real world model to show. It will also give you a feel for the product that you don't always get using CAD based modelling. Scanning and 3D printing is also a viable for manufacture short production runs items during the prototype stage.
Good point. I agree just making it out of random things can often lead to some further insight too.

BellaPippin

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
My husband hired someone from Upwork to do the 3d plans/industrial design he needs from his product to send to a manufacturer. As far as I know he's getting charged somewhere between 300-500 USD. Give it a look

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 22, 2012
Toronto
My husband hired someone from Upwork to do the 3d plans/industrial design he needs from his product to send to a manufacturer. As far as I know he's getting charged somewhere between 300-500 USD. Give it a look
I second this. I actually have cad drawings from a custom designed vv/vw vape device I created years ago, but I decided to scrap the project. In this industry, you lose a lot of control due to all of the bs regulations.

I hired the guy on elance. I would give you his contact but he hasn't logged on in two years, so there's probably no point. Post a new gig on upwork and you'll definitely find someone to do the drawings, designs and specs which can be sent off for manufacturing. It cost me around 600 USD.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I've used upwork and it was great for designers. You have to wade through and decipher who is more graphic/mechanical/engineering etc. Also may be worth reading Stephen Keys book, one simple idea. There is a thread on it here. Regarding licensing new products - some completely new and others minor improvements on existing products.

I'd forget craigslist.

iizu

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2016
Finland
Vote for Upwork.

It is hands down the best and easiest way to hire capable people.

Some tips for hiring:
-Do some research on how the parts are manufactured(Injection molding, CNC-machining, extrusion, deep drawing, stamping)
-Make sure that the person you are hiring has experience from designing to these manufacturing methods(DFM=Design for Manufacturing)

Because you can find plenty of great CAD-artists that will surely create anything you come up with, but might lack the knowledge about the manufacturing process, so your design becomes impossible to manufacture or way too overpriced.

BTW. If you need someone who can design for CNC-manufacturing, PM me ;)

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

OP
OP
m1kesta

m1kesta

New Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
Vote for Upwork.

It is hands down the best and easiest way to hire capable people.

Some tips for hiring:
-Do some research on how the parts are manufactured(Injection molding, CNC-machining, extrusion, deep drawing, stamping)
-Make sure that the person you are hiring has experience from designing to these manufacturing methods(DFM=Design for Manufacturing)

Because you can find plenty of great CAD-artists that will surely create anything you come up with, but might lack the knowledge about the manufacturing process, so your design becomes impossible to manufacture or way too overpriced.

BTW. If you need someone who can design for CNC-manufacturing, PM me ;)
Thanks, will keep you in mind if it's CNC related.

LordGanon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
I know it doesn't exactly answer your question, and going with someone with professional experience is probably very helpful, BUT...I also recently learned CAD. There's a myriad of tutorials on YouTube. That and basic electronics, which you can learn in about a week (or much less) and some reverse engineering should easily do the trick.

A vaping device is really quite simple. Resistance wire, heat resistant thread that pulls liquid through capillary effect, battery, on/off button, liquid container, mouthpiece.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox' Web School's "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
This year has been quite crazy so far, and a lot of people have reached out to ask me if web...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Got it several weeks ago and have listened to it several times now. I've definitely met both...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Out of curiosity, what types of businesses are you advising on? (I read this whole thread...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Just bought 5 of your Upwork courses. Thanks for making valuable content Lex!
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks for your offer to look at my book. Here's the link to the squeeze page Buy The Prosperous...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom