The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Have An Interesting Curveball

Arsh

Confused Soul
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 5, 2014
Hope you guys are doing well, wherever you are! :)

I have a bit of a curveball, and I find it intriguing. A lot of people talk about how they want to earn $1M a year or $10M or $1B and so on. And hats off to you guys for knowing what you want.

I have only recently figured out the figure that I want, which is $70,000 a year. Knowing myself, that's all it takes to make me immensely happy. The only caveat is that I cannot feel trapped in what I am doing (I get literally depressed & suicidal if that happens). And my passion is Video Editing.

So, my question to you guys is how should I, as a video editor, take the steps to get clients and start moving toward that $70,000 a year goal?

If this wasn't much of a curveball, I apologize...the hype was not worth it. :(

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sadik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
Jan 26, 2017
Kolkata, India
So, my question to you guys is how should I, as a video editor, take the steps to get clients and start moving toward that $70,000 a year goal?

Three steps,

1> Be an absolutely awesome video editor.
2> Learn to market yourself.
3> Raise your rates.

Boom $70K

Arsh

Confused Soul
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 5, 2014
Three steps,

1> Be an absolutely awesome video editor.
2> Learn to market yourself.
3> Raise your rates.

Boom $70K
1> I'm good at it. I'm also known to underestimate myself so I think I might be better than I think I am.
2> I have no idea how to market myself properly. Any suggestions?
3> That will happen after the first two steps are properly implemented.

Arsh

Confused Soul
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 5, 2014
Square1Hype, that is a big mindset thing. It is an issue that I have which I need to work on. For example, $700k seems so out of reach for me that I give up before I start. I think I need to see my actions producing some results before I can assume the $700k position. But, that may be just me weighing myself down.

Colin Panarra

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 29, 2016
Boston, Mass.
Square1Hype, that is a big mindset thing. It is an issue that I have which I need to work on. For example, $700k seems so out of reach for me that I give up before I start. I think I need to see my actions producing some results before I can assume the $700k position. But, that may be just me weighing myself down.

Why should 700k discourage you? That can easily be your long term goal if you set smaller ones in front of you. Make a goal for this month such as to make 3 sales or something. Use each small goal to build towards your end goal. One step at a time.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
1> I'm good at it. I'm also known to underestimate myself so I think I might be better than I think I am.
2> I have no idea how to market myself properly. Any suggestions?
3> That will happen after the first two steps are properly implemented.
You just answered your own question.
Do #1 and #2 and #3 will follow.
You've already accomplished #1, so all that's left to do is #2.
The solution is to market yourself.
I promise it's much harder than #1.
I also promise nobody will be able to give you a magic bullet that will solve #2.
You have to figure that out on your own, one trial-and-error at a time.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@Arsh -- please post your best work, prefer something dramatic. If it's good, I will hire you.

Arsh

Confused Soul
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 5, 2014
@Arsh -- please post your best work, prefer something dramatic. If it's good, I will hire you.

MJ, before anything, I want to thank you for being extremely active in the community. It's great.
The types of videos I generally create are narrative focused ones. So, the one piece of work I'm most proud of is exactly that. The video below is one I scripted, produced, and edited.

If you need to take a look at a couple more videos, here's the link to a very shortlisted playlist of videos: Shortlisted Portfolio - YouTube. As a note, the Quietus film was done a long time ago so it's not my greatest work, but I keep it there as a benchmark of progress.

Any input would be great. This way, I can more accurately gauge my skills in the eyes of an objective market. Cheers!

Arsh

Confused Soul
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 5, 2014
Why should 700k discourage you? That can easily be your long term goal if you set smaller ones in front of you. Make a goal for this month such as to make 3 sales or something. Use each small goal to build towards your end goal. One step at a time.
I totally get what you mean, Colin. I don't know why I think this way, but I think I might just have to change my mindset on that.

You just answered your own question.
Do #1 and #2 and #3 will follow.
You've already accomplished #1, so all that's left to do is #2.
The solution is to market yourself.
I promise it's much harder than #1.
I also promise nobody will be able to give you a magic bullet that will solve #2.
You have to figure that out on your own, one trial-and-error at a time.
Wade, you're absolutely right. Marketing myself is 100% more difficult. I find it difficult to wrap my head around any tactical steps in regards to marketing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.