The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I finally did it! Well, Almost..... Buying a biz, laughs and ???

bosco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Dec 31, 2007

I would first like to thank each and everyone on the board here for sharing their thoughts, opinions and at times, guidance. The community here has made tremendous impact on my life and to which I am greatly indebted and thankful.

As most people here, I am looking to take back control in my life. Not that I’m hell bent but definitely more motivated now than ever before in my life. When I was younger, I used to think “there has to be a better way†but as I’ve matured (im going to be 37) I’ve learned that “there has to be a more rewarding wayâ€.

Through an odd series of events and often comical circumstances, I purchased a failing startup through an acquaintance.

It all started early 2000’s, I had been invited along on a road trip down south with a group of very successful business owners. Our common thread was motorcycles and we were headed to Daytona for bike week. The whole entire trip, we ate trail mix. We ate good, bad but often times ugly trail mix along the way….and in case you’ve never noticed, trail mix is expensive. Anyway, on the long and grueling ride home, the guys were talking about starting their own trail mix company. They all had very strong personalities and were very competitive in nature. The whole entire time it was discussed their focus was on a high end, quality product. Being interested in being a part of something of this nature interested me and said I would be interested with what little cash on hand I had at the time. I was not taken to seriously though. Not sure if it was because I was a blue color worker or not but I was determined to be a part…somehow. I even thought about a name for this venture and had blurted it out. They loved it.

That would be the last I saw or heard from these guys in a long while. I then bumped into one of the guys and he said ‘hey, so and so and I started a trail mix company and we named it happy trails trail mix. This really is not the name and was changed to protect the guilty. Hahaha. Anyway, I was like yeah great…. thanks for letting me in on it and your welcome for giving you the cool name. I felt defeated!

Everywhere I went, someone was talking about happy trails. Everyone in my circle was talking about it. Kinda pissed me off. I looked at everything they did, their packaging, their marketing and said I could do better. They cheese balled it and they acted like a bunch of a$$ clowns. They were a local success and did not take it much farther than online sales and a few convenience stores. Not that I had formal experience, just real world knowledge and some common sense. I knew I could do better and really make something of it.

Time passed and I kept coming back to the thought of showing them up. I started to research websites and ecommerce systems, the market and audience, suppliers, food handling laws, packaging equipment, etc. I started to purchase small amounts of products and developed my own blend and handed it out to my friends to see what they thought. I printed out different names on a vision board and looked at it for months, all waiting for it to come to me. All in an effort to launch my own brand and directly compete with them for market share.

Then one day the phone rang….it was a friend of a friend of the “acquaintances†who said ‘hey…I heard that one of the guys sold out his share of the business which he felt was more of a hobby to concentrate on his very successful business of many years. I then called the other partner and said I heard that his partner sold out and was interested in purchasing the entire company. He was shocked but after some back peddling, he said he would put a number together and get back to me.

A few days had passed and he called to set up a lunch meeting to discuss. He was a sweet talker. He could sell snow to an Eskimo. He talked about all the assets and top line revenue. That’s all well and good but show me the financials! Who are your suppliers? For some reason I did not get the warm and fuzzy and shook on “we’d be in touchâ€. About 6 months passed and I had been ignoring the few calls and emails he made.

“I need to know right away because I have someone else interested at asking price but told them You had first right and refusal†was the icing on the cake. I immediately called him back and offered him a ridiculous number and called him out on the fact that he had no one. For some reason I just felt I needed to flex my muscle. This guy was the poster boy for being a clown. He laughed at me and we ended our conversation. A few days later he called me back with a counter offer. I said that I would no longer honor my offer therefore cannot consider his counter offer. He then asked me where I was at and replied with a number even lower than my first offer. It was an embarrassing moment for me when the number came out of my mouth so I followed it up with, sign over 100 pct of the LLC stock to me, website, product and accounts. Everything but the financials. I don’t want them as its obviously not doing well.

He agreed! And a few days later there I was in a parking lot of the bank where their account was signing over all the paperwork. Then it was off to the local watering hole with my better half for a celebratory drink. Good things were to come!

So it’s been two years since that day in the parking lot and have made a lot of progress, learned quite a bit and forged many friendships. We rebranded with a more professional logo and website, trademarked the name, obtained insurance, outsourced production and packaging to another company who was better equipped and have gotten this into one local convenience store. I’ve researched and test marketed different price points and portion size. We are making enough money to cover our expenses every month and at the end of last year we started to see the numbers go into the black. Not drawing a salary by any means but is going in a positive direction.

While I am very proud of what we have done without any formal training or experience, we are not only successful but are doing much better than the last owner ever dreamed of doing himself. I have been in the holding pattern now as I formulate our next series of actions to bring our product to market and bring the business to the next step and hit it big. Admittedly, I’ve been stalled. I have outlined a few items that needs to be accomplished but not sure how to execute or the best way to execute.

I was deeply affected by the passing of Steve Jobs. I often admired him and for the brand to be marching to their own beat. I’ve sorta been the same way. My own beat plays 24/7 and of which I can only hear apparently. Ive been asked what I am dancing to and would reply with my hand cupped to the ear….you don’t hear the music?... Anyway, as you have seen, there has been so many snippets, interviews, videos and other great things that has been flashing all over TV, Radio and the net. And there it was… that ray of light from the clouds. An interview where Steve had said “Great things in business are not done by one person, they are done by a team of people.â€

This was it, what I had to do! I had to reach back out to my fast lane family. I needed to share my story so that others can garner whatever might be found useful for their own trek, perhaps some entertainment value and ultimately with the hopes of seeing what guidance any of you may have to help me along my journey.

Once you’ve tasted the product, it sells itself. We got to many street fairs and 3 day festivals and give free samples and 8 out of 10 people make a purchase. We’ve identified that we have to work on getting our product out there. Teaming up with a distributor to get it into stores and then offering free tasting events to sample our product to help the stores generate their first few sales. While the tasting events have worked, distribution has not. Established snack route companies are offering less to purchase than what it cost to make the stuff let alone make 25 cents on the bag.

So what I had come up with is to offer a business opportunity to where I sell at a one time fixed cost the license to distribute my product by county or groups of counties (protected territories) to entrepreneurial minded people. They would then seek out their own convenience stores, gas stations, sandwich shops, etc and develop their own route. Along with this license fee would be all of the equipment they needed to do a street fair or other sales/market venue and all the training and support needed.

What do you think about this idea? What about price points? What is realistic? Does anyone here have a similar type business and if so, what have I not thought about? What else should I consider?

In the end, it is my goal to establish a strong brand and at the very least create a decent stream of income.

What do YOU think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser2

there is always someone out there who will buy a license and a business opportunity, when they can see the benefit for themselves.

the millions of people who bought Steve jobs products, dont think differently. Steve did.

so what could you offer, as a "kashi, nuts on a mission" buy your own path, flee corporate America, freedom package to a guy who has some money and would want to play?

nail that, and you will be the Steve jobs of trail mix
good luck

darkjediii

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, DC area
nYou need to figure out how to sell your stuff to make money first and figure out how to address your basic challenges such as how to approach retailers, lower your production costs, marketing etc..

After you have figured out how to make money selling your product, then you need to look at your business system and package it in a way that it is easily replicated, be able to provide training so that you can teach any Joe Schmoe how to replicate the successful money-making model you've implemented for yourself in their territory. Teach them what kind of vehicle and equipment they need, how to sell your products to retailers so that they can create their routes, and supply them with your products.

From there, you can figure out how to profit from your licensees besides supplying them with your products, you can start thinking about charging a licensing fee for X number of years, partner with a trucking company to sell custom wrapped trucks at a marked up price, charge royalties, etc..

(Be sure to consult with an attorney to make sure that you stay within legal bounds as this may be considered a 'franchise' in some states and can get you in some legal trouble.)

A++ for your efforts, you're almost there, you just need to figure out your goals and keep grinding!

bosco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks! Alot fo great info here!!!.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Is what you want to sell as a business opp actually a business opp??

How much are you making from doing the exact thing you want to license them to do?

You first need a track record of how they make money.. do you have that?

bosco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, it is actually very proffitable with 2 years worth of sales under our belt and 80% of which is all cash.

I am looking to move from owning a job to owning a business.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Interesting.. This is something I have thought about a lot.

So how much you want to sell the license for?

How are you going to sell these?

Do you have cash saved up for marketing?

jzchristian

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 21, 2011
Henderson, Tx
I say go MLM with it. Find some other little products that relate to yours and have people pay you a hundread bucks to sign in to sell your brand. Then you could charge a little more to cover there percentages and let them do all the work for you. Look at avon or scentsy those do really well. If i were you I would consider this route.

bosco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Dec 31, 2007
JE: I was kicking around 6500-9500 fee to become a licensed distributor and was going to concentrate on just my state first. There are 21 counties in the state and was figuring once licensee per county. The fee would include training, marketing slicks and everything you would need to do a street fair (booth/tent/banners/tables,etc).

JZC: The MLM thought crossed my mind but thought alot of people would be turned off by this.

This is a great discussion and very helpful!

What do others here think about lincesing distributors packaged as a business op or MLM?

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
If you can sell distributors for $6-9k, I'd go for it. MLM carries a lot of baggage. If nothing else, with an MLM you're basically babysitting a bunch of unqualified salespeople, trying to motivate them to go out and sign up their cousin. With distributors, they've sunk money into it so they're not likely to quit the first time somebody says no.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
If you can sell distributors for $6-9k, I'd go for it. MLM carries a lot of baggage. If nothing else, with an MLM you're basically babysitting a bunch of unqualified salespeople, trying to motivate them to go out and sign up their cousin. With distributors, they've sunk money into it so they're not likely to quit the first time somebody says no.

Exactly!

MLM wont work.. One product companies dont make it, and don't cheapen yourself.. And Gary is right do you really want to spend 99% of your time baby sitting a bunch of broke mlmers...

Of course you can always say your mix cures cancer and a bunch of other ailments like they all do...

If you have a proven sales deal, selling a dealership for 6k - 10k is nothing. Its all in your pitch and your approach.

You would have to figure out how to sell the deal, how to market the deal to create the call in the first place. You need a training program. Do they come to you to do that, you need a facility for that. Work up videos testimonials.

Lot of work. Also something you cannot do cheap. But then again there are a million "counties" so at 6-9k a pop that would be a lot of money. Humm, that gives me an idea.. If only I had the time.

FYI: Years ago I sold a bunch of "licenses" for a business I was running, except the buy in was $75k...

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
You should look at the fundraising market. Ten's of thousands of groups are always looking for good products to sell to raise money. Cash flow is positive as you get the money before you ship the product. You need to provide them with sell sheets etc... You can go direct to groups or find distributors who deal with groups themselves and buy product from you.

look up AFRDS. It's a fund raising association and has a couple trade shows a year.

lleone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 7, 2011
New York
I would also work with hikers/outdoor distribution people and possibly fitness/workout channels as well.
You may even want to consider private label for some of these folks.

Good luck.

jzchristian

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 21, 2011
Henderson, Tx
ok, so the MLM was a bad idea. I do agree that you need to focus your market on outdoorsy people (hunters, fishers, campers, hickers) I would also focus on party supply places. The world series is coming up and people love snacks at there big game parties. Maybe get with some liquior stores to carry your product, market it as the beer drinkers perfect snack in those places. If you get people drinking and having a good time while eating your product they will associate your product with good times and having fun. After you have there emotions tied to your product your set. I am just brainstorming and rambling on.

bosco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Dec 31, 2007
JZ / CS...these are great ideas!

Looks like my immeadiate next steps will be developping a marketing campaign to target the liquor stores to take advantage of the beer drinkers market and to develop the business opportunity 'manual'. The manual will be the first step in insuring consistant reproduction of results.

Should the manual cover selling the actual product or should it include business entity (llc), insurance requirements, etc?

What else would you include int he manual? How would you market the opportunity if you were to do this in your area? Also, any ideas on marketing to the beer drinkers and outdoor people?

DangerDave

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Sep 7, 2011
San Francisco
Established snack route companies are offering less to purchase than what it cost to make the stuff let alone make 25 cents on the bag.

Why are you trying to sell to snack route companies? It seems like that is a crap shoot, full of low end brands that get stocked in corporate americas vending machines....

Have you tried getting your product into big local stores? Whole Foods, Target, Jewel/Albertsons/Publix...
Do the tastings in store with your product featured there.
If your product is that good, people will buy it like crazy. Distribution could pick up from there.

And are you SELLING product through your site?
Are you running ads? Have a facebook tab? Run marketing campaigns? What are you doing digitally?

"Trail mix" is not only for "outdoorsy" people and beer drinkers. I don't know how your product is packaged/branded, but there is a HUGE market for healthy snacks for young women and moms, athletes, young career guys, and booze hounds alike.

Package, market and sell it as a premium product. Don't settle for 25 cents a bag!
I have never seen a "premium trail mix"...

Think about most of Steves products. The internals of the actual hardware are not much different than his competitors. Its the magic of the look and feel of the finished product/software that allow Apple to charge a premium price for their products.

We're talking about trail mix here, but still! Think about using unique packaging... do something different.

I saw the other day, some guys put vodka in a glass skull and are charging out the a$$ for it!

Would you mind sharing your product name/website?

I bet we could all give you feedback or advice (if it's even needed) on your site and branding, and also give you better feedback on how to push it to market.

bosco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Dec 31, 2007
Danger Dave....not knowing much about the industry I went at it from any direction I could and learned quickly that snack routes are not the way to do it. We have a high quality product that is not mass produced. This is one of those things that You get what you pay for!

I would love to get our products into stores like whole foods, target, etc but am not sure how to go about it. I would love to hear suggestions on this if anyone has any insight!

We are currently rebranding our packaging. We inherited a horrible home grown logo and have solicited a well know local publisher/designer to create a new logo. We are now working on new produt lables. Trying to figure out how to take the most advantage of the opportunity during this redesign to solidify our brand and to attract the groups that you mention. yet another area that I have not gotten much traction in.

We have facebook/twitter and use it occasionally. We do print ads in one of two local magazines, weve sponsored a few local independant films but not much in the way of online or digitally. Suggestions here greatly welcome!

Our name is trademarked, our recepie is patented

I would love a critique! I prefer not to post my URL or buisness name on the forum due to search engine crawlers. Please PM me for the URL though would be happy to share it as long as it does not pop up in any forum posts.

What unique way have you all marketed services or products effectively? What works, what does not? How were you able to get in with large providers or retail locations?

As always, many thanks to my fast lane family.

PS I think Dan Akroid did the skull vodka thing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.