The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I eat shi* everyday.

Do you eat shi*

• yes

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • no

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • not yet, but I need to

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mn112477

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
May 12, 2019
Not really..but it’s my goal. Let me explain.

My husband and I own a restaurant chain and I’m the online brand reputation manager for our companies. Every complaint, nag, and criticism we receive goes directly to my inbox. I read and see everyone of them. From yelp to google to facebook and more, I answer them personally.

Are all the complaints fair or based on factual events? Not all the time, but I still unwaveringly smile and kindly reply back. When you're in the hospitality industry and if you're good, you take people’s shit. Don't get me wrong, there are instances when I don’t take people’s shit. For example, when my values are challenged or someone is harassing my employee. There are some lines you don’t cross.

But in everyday instances, I eat people's shit.

My husband's, my sons' shit, and my friends'.

And in all honesty, it has increased my empathy for people and my own limited patience. When I was younger, I used to take pride that I didn’t have to take shit from people. I could say no and stand up for myself at every instance. I was a free-willed, independent female entrepreneur.

I learned over time that not taking people’s shit made me and other people cross. As I’ve matured, Ive learned not to sweat the small stuff. And you know what, it’s all small stuff.

Just ‘eat shit’. Walk away, ignore the negativity, and find the silver lining in everything.

By the way, I'm mn112477 and I'm the guinea pig for my husband's kitchen creations. We used to grind 14-hour days, 6 days a week. The hard work has paid off but we haven't stopped grinding. Our specialties include publishing, writing, real estate, and restaurants. We love topics on entrepreneurship, fitness, health, mental toughness, grit, food, and parenting (in that order).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Not really..but it’s my goal. Let me explain.

My husband and I own a restaurant chain and I’m the online brand reputation manager for our companies. Every complaint, nag, and criticism we receive goes directly to my inbox. I read and see everyone of them. From yelp to google to facebook and more, I answer them personally.

Are all the complaints fair or based on factual events? Not all the time, but I still unwaveringly smile and kindly reply back. When you're in the hospitality industry and if you're good, you take people’s shit. Don't get me wrong, there are instances when I don’t take people’s shit. For example, when my values are challenged or someone is harassing my employee. There are some lines you don’t cross.

But in everyday instances, I eat people's shit.

My husband's, my sons' shit, and my friends'.

And in all honesty, it has increased my empathy for people and my own limited patience. When I was younger, I used to take pride that I didn’t have to take shit from people. I could say no and stand up for myself at every instance. I was a free-willed, independent female entrepreneur.

I learned over time that not taking people’s shit made me and other people cross. As I’ve matured, Ive learned not to sweat the small stuff. And you know what, it’s all small stuff.

Just ‘eat shit’. Walk away, ignore the negativity, and find the silver lining in everything.

By the way, I'm Mary Nhin and I'm the guinea pig for my husband's kitchen creations. We used to grind 14-hour days, 6 days a week. The hard work has paid off but we haven't stopped grinding. Our specialties include publishing, writing, real estate, and restaurants. We love topics on entrepreneurship, fitness, health, mental toughness, grit, food, and parenting (in that order).
Welcome to the Fastlane Mary. That was a great intro and I fully understand being in the service industry requires humbleness and concessions. I hope you enjoy it here.

However, you may want to edit your forum name and intro. This forum is google indexed and you may not want all this public and linked to your business.

Good luck with you endeavors.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Quite a story. I think as entrepreneurs we all have to "Eat shit" at some point -- just a question of "how much and how often?"

Welcome to the forum Mary.

mn112477

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
May 12, 2019
Welcome to the Fastlane Mary. That was a great intro and I fully understand being in the service industry requires humbleness and concessions. I hope you enjoy it here.

However, you may want to edit your forum name and intro. This forum is google indexed and you may not want all this public and linked to your business.

Good luck with you endeavors.
Thanks Runum. I have requested a change in username by using the contact us button since it will not allow me to do it online. How do I change my forum intro? Thanks, mn112477

mn112477

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
May 12, 2019
Quite a story. I think as entrepreneurs we all have to "Eat shit" at some point -- just a question of "how much and how often?"

Welcome to the forum Mary.
Thanks for the reply MJ. I just requested a username change for privacy.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Thanks Runum. I have requested a change in username by using the contact us button since it will not allow me to do it online. How do I change my forum intro? Thanks, mn112477
You should have an edit button on the original post for a period of time. Otherwise, it is up to MJ or a mod to edit it.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
My wife and I own a golf course. We have a general manager. He has requested that I stop talking to people about their issues. Seems that I like to tell it like I see it.

We field a lot of requests and complaints. If someone is unreasonable, I stand my ground. My wife does as well.

Our GM is much more of a diplomat. I tell people that want to abuse us to find another place to play. I kicked a high powered attorney off of our course along with all his buddies. It was the talk of the golf community in our town when it happened. He stuck his finger in my face and said "Now you listen to me". My response was "No, you listen to me. Get off my course". Gained a lot of respect among the golfers with that.

But, that is an issue of mine. Pissing people off is one of my strong points. I do it with a smile though. :)

You are in a tough position. It sounds like you handle it very well.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I kicked a high powered attorney off of our course along with all his buddies.

Ooo do tell. (Maybe in your golf course thread?) Be interesting to hear what happen to cause you to come into action. Being rude to groundskeepers or beer cart girl?

Never1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 13, 2015
Canada
Great thread! I’ve come to this conclusion as I get older, as well. I listen and help where I can, and never take it personally. I will stand my ground, when something goes against my values and my rights. I know the difference between a genuine complaint and a shithead trying to gain something for nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I have noticed successful people I know that don't let things like this get to them do very well. So maybe it's not "eating shit" but just being mature and taking the high road. I wish I could naturally have this personality, but it's something I would have to work on..

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018
Great post. Seems that eating shit when it's you who benefits at the end (your business) tastes much sweeter than eating shit to benefit someone else's business.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
First, welcome to the forum. Lots of great folks here. Looking forward to learning from you. What you're doing is a hard but essential part of customer service. Clearly there must be limits, as you've stated. I'm still surprise how some "service" companies just don't get this.

I recently had a very bad experience with Avis that speaks to this. Tire blew out on a rental about 10 miles after leaving the airport. Their emergency roadside assistance decided I was in a dangerous location and they weren't allowed to assist me. Fortunately, I have AAA and was towed to the "safe" location of a downtown 7-eleven where I was approached by a half dozen bums while waiting for the Avis repair guy they finally sent, who couldn't patch the tire and had no spare...and well the story goes on. I missed my meeting and had to hire a Lyft to my hotel. The response from Avis customer service was to charge me for the rental and send me a bill to repair the tire plus a charge to cover the vehicle being out of service while repaired. Three phone calls supposedly elevated to more senior managers changed nothing. Guess which rental car company I will NEVER use again?

Any one of the many Avis customer reps I spoke to could have fixed this and made me a loyal fan. Instead they turned me into a hater. What you are doing is important.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...