The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I did something stupid today..

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
20431207_1424036454376341_5660041460416633312_n.jpg

..I took apart Bose QuietComfort2 noise cancelling headphones.

The pleather headband was flaking apart on my head and neck anytime I used them. Today, I disassembled the cushion and covered it with Sunbrella Icon Pop outdoor material. Should be good for another 10+ years.

I see a need that could be fulfilled. The previous material only lasts about 2 years with daily use and the alternative is to bring them back to Bose and exchange them for another pair, only receiving a $100 credit (on a $300 pair).

Anyway, that was my project for the day. Feels good to produce and bring value, even if the value you bring is to fill your own need.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
That act, as simple and "stupid" as it may seem is how excellent productocracies are birthed. We may think - "Oh my gosh - Bose, who can top that?" Generally, building a productocracy isn't necessarily about topping another company/brand - as in competing with them - sometimes it's simply about making something that's existing and already great greater.

Lol, kudos on your discovery.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How is this stupid? You exercised creativity and saved yourself some bucks.

Anyway, that was my project for the day. Feels good to produce and bring value, even if the value you bring is to fill your own need.

You created passion! Passion followed your effort!

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Interesting design choice...

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
When I see something like this and the words productocracy I think of a tag line like..

"Headphones so comfortable you'll forget you're wearing them"

Sure headphones are both a commodity and fashion accessory, but why not focus on people who wear headphones all day or for extended periods.. could be a market worth exploring...

Chinobey

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 19, 2017
England
Don't know why this is stupid at all you saw a problem and fixed it, but i don't really think you found something that would appeal to the market of people who wear headphones for a long duration as there are a lot of these on the market already but hell what do i know.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
The previous material only lasts about 2 years with daily use and the alternative is to bring them back to Bose and exchange them for another pair, only receiving a $100 credit (on a $300 pair)

I knew someone who made a fair profit by buying old Bose products on Ebay then sending them back to Bose to get the credit. Made a huge amount from it, but dried up after a while. You start to look a little odd when you're returning you 400th Bose item!

Loving your work though. Customised headphones covers - you could make a fortune!

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
One side is by machine and the other is by hand (ladder stitch, like used in closing a pillow).
I asked because I'm just beginning to learn how to sew and design. Did you have any prior sewing experience before you tried this?

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles
One of my favorite quotes (because it actually has application, not like those cheeseball motivational posters): "It ain't stupid if it works."

ramonorencio

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jun 6, 2015
Nice!
I have the same problem with my Audio-technica M50's.
Replaced the ear pads, but couldn't find a headband replacement.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Rep + for being creative

Rep - for calling it stupid!

Where did you learn how to sew by the way???

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
I think this has a great application.
There are an inordinate amount of outdoor 'contractors' that would use this item. I would suggest checking into local landscapers/lawn maintenance/heavy machinery businesses that run large mowers/chainsaw/arborists as an example. Many utilize isolation headphones similar to those headphones for the noise cancelling abilities and/or for music etc. If you could create a GENERIC headphone wrap that could be utilized on various headphones
Radio headphones that cancel mower nosie?
I think you would have a good market. In fact, if you come up with something, and could wholesale it to me, let me know. I could sell it in my B&M if the price was right..
Generic is the key. It would have to be able to be utilized in several different brands.
I think you have a product that is needed. If you do not source this, someone else will...

I can give you an example of something similar that sell quite well. PM me if you'd like.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I have nearly $1000 in my portable audio gear - it's ridiculous, and that's just for two pairs of headphones and a dragonfly DAC.

My biggest annoyance is with wearing headphones out. I have a $300 pair of Bose that I know will break one day, and an even more expensive pair of cans where I fear the leather ear cups will wear out but the headphones themselves will function fine (Oppo PM-3s).

I also wore out the ear cups on my last ATH-M50s.

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
Rep + for being creative

Rep - for calling it stupid!

Where did you learn how to sew by the way???

Thank you for the rep! I learned to sew last year when I had built an upholstery business...and then my upholsterer never showed up to work, all while I had a client who had placed an order for about 37 replacement outdoor cushions (hence the Sunbrella fabric on my headphones) and paid a lot for the job. The customer also kinda tossed in that they needed them in two weeks.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Thank you for the rep! I learned to sew last year when I had built an upholstery business...and then my upholsterer never showed up to work, all while I had a client who had placed an order for about 37 replacement outdoor cushions (hence the Sunbrella fabric on my headphones) and paid a lot for the job. The customer also kinda tossed in that they needed them in two weeks.

The color looks kind of Reggae or Jamaican. The options would be endless for headphone covers!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
On a separate note, those with Iphones may have noticed that the end of the charging cable tends to tear. While it might have to do with crap China manufacturing, the mainstream solution has been to patch up the tear with tape as opposed to purchasing a new and expensive charger.

But I have found tape to be shit material...it will wear off and looks shoddy as F*ck. I'm considering a solution in the form of a rubber covering that you can slide over the tear to protect the exposed wiring.

Could be Fastlaned, but on market demand, the mainstream masses might prefer the shoddier tape method or to buy a cheaper China charger duplicate....

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Wouldn't that be Heat-Shrink Tubing? Slide it over, heat, and your good to go.
I am uncomfortable about heating, though.
I am afraid of applying too much heat that it damages something vital. Most people aren't handy with heat-based DIY.
I myself did a similar thing...but that was in soldering electronics. Living skills class. Boy, my circuits were grotesque. I burnt through the soldering iron too much into the components legs, that when I pulled the switch, the currents couldn't reach them.

At least I learnt something. These days kids just do paperwork on DIYs and no hands on work.

An alternative sealing method could be the seal for airtight packaging. Although it is made of flimsy plastic, airtight package seals are pretty solid. For some reasons I have a fascination with them. If the concept can be alternated, it could be recreated with more hardier plastic or some other synthetics.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
What a wonderful new business idea now. There has got to be a market for reconditioning or customizing old Bose or really any higher end headphones that people spent way to much money on.

Think about it. You spent $350 on decent headphones and they are aging, but still good. It isn't worth buying a new pair. Why not get them reconditioned at www.customizeyourbose.com (insert whatever cheesy effective name you want) for $60. Good as new and better too.

Of course the labor side of this might just be another job, but it is still an idea worth toying around with. Might be worth doing.

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
the charging cable tends to tear..

The same thing happens with my Samsung charger cables. A reason why this [and the iPhone] cable repair would be worth pursuing is that there are many crappy knockoffs which don't work as well as the original. A convenient solution would be better than searching through your favorite online store to see which is real and which is a knockoff. That and if you could pick it up at your local grocery, it'd be quicker than ordering online.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.