• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

I did something stupid today..

Discussion in 'Product Creation, Inventing, Importing, Sourcing' started by garyjsmith, Jul 29, 2017.

1. garyjsmith

garyjsmith Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,340
    [​IMG]

..I took apart Bose QuietComfort2 noise cancelling headphones.

The pleather headband was flaking apart on my head and neck anytime I used them. Today, I disassembled the cushion and covered it with Sunbrella Icon Pop outdoor material. Should be good for another 10+ years.

I see a need that could be fulfilled. The previous material only lasts about 2 years with daily use and the alternative is to bring them back to Bose and exchange them for another pair, only receiving a $100 credit (on a $300 pair).

Anyway, that was my project for the day. Feels good to produce and bring value, even if the value you bring is to fill your own need.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Aaron T, Invictus, TheCj and 14 others like this.
  2. kelvinfernandezm

kelvinfernandezm Some Profound Quote Goes Here Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $2,164
    Did you sew it by hand?

3. garyjsmith

garyjsmith Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,340
    One side is by machine and the other is by hand (ladder stitch, like used in closing a pillow).

4. Iammelissamoore

Iammelissamoore Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,956
    That act, as simple and "stupid" as it may seem is how excellent productocracies are birthed. We may think - "Oh my gosh - Bose, who can top that?" Generally, building a productocracy isn't necessarily about topping another company/brand - as in competing with them - sometimes it's simply about making something that's existing and already great greater.

Lol, kudos on your discovery.

5. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $386,278
    Admin Post
    How is this stupid? You exercised creativity and saved yourself some bucks.

You created passion! Passion followed your effort!

6. Waspy

Waspy Float like a butterfly Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,637
    Interesting design choice...

Longinus likes this.
  7. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $55,662
    When I see something like this and the words productocracy I think of a tag line like..

"Headphones so comfortable you'll forget you're wearing them"

Sure headphones are both a commodity and fashion accessory, but why not focus on people who wear headphones all day or for extended periods.. could be a market worth exploring...

Aaron T, Greg R, OldFaithful and 4 others like this.
  8. Chinobey

Chinobey Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $354
    Don't know why this is stupid at all you saw a problem and fixed it, but i don't really think you found something that would appeal to the market of people who wear headphones for a long duration as there are a lot of these on the market already but hell what do i know.

Aaron T likes this.
  9. Brian C.

Brian C. Rolling Thunder Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,121
    The only thing that may be considered stupid is sharing a brilliant product idea with an internet community.

And only really then, can you be stupid for not taking action before someone else does

10. jasoncuellar123

jasoncuellar123 I’m probably awake. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,718
    You just created a new market:
    • Headphone Cushion Covers

11. Imgal

Imgal Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,964
    I knew someone who made a fair profit by buying old Bose products on Ebay then sending them back to Bose to get the credit. Made a huge amount from it, but dried up after a while. You start to look a little odd when you're returning you 400th Bose item!

Loving your work though. Customised headphones covers - you could make a fortune!

12. garyjsmith

Rep Bank:
    $1,340
    It'll be obvious who owns the prototype copy, for sure. You've brought to my attention that I need to stock better fabrics for tests lol

Aaron T likes this.
  13. kelvinfernandezm

kelvinfernandezm Some Profound Quote Goes Here Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $2,164
    I asked because I'm just beginning to learn how to sew and design. Did you have any prior sewing experience before you tried this?

14. ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,112
    One of my favorite quotes (because it actually has application, not like those cheeseball motivational posters): "It ain't stupid if it works."

garyjsmith likes this.
  15. ramonorencio

ramonorencio New Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $72
    Nice!
    I have the same problem with my Audio-technica M50's.
    Replaced the ear pads, but couldn't find a headband replacement.

16. Greg R

Greg R Act, Assess, Adjust Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $22,477
    Rep + for being creative

Rep - for calling it stupid!

Where did you learn how to sew by the way???

ZF Lee likes this.
  17. million$$$smile

million$$$smile Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $56,344
    I think this has a great application.
    There are an inordinate amount of outdoor 'contractors' that would use this item. I would suggest checking into local landscapers/lawn maintenance/heavy machinery businesses that run large mowers/chainsaw/arborists as an example. Many utilize isolation headphones similar to those headphones for the noise cancelling abilities and/or for music etc. If you could create a GENERIC headphone wrap that could be utilized on various headphones
    Radio headphones that cancel mower nosie?
    I think you would have a good market. In fact, if you come up with something, and could wholesale it to me, let me know. I could sell it in my B&M if the price was right..
    Generic is the key. It would have to be able to be utilized in several different brands.
    I think you have a product that is needed. If you do not source this, someone else will...

I can give you an example of something similar that sell quite well. PM me if you'd like.

ZF Lee, OldFaithful and garyjsmith like this.
  18. JasonR

JasonR Maverick Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $71,931
    I have nearly $1000 in my portable audio gear - it's ridiculous, and that's just for two pairs of headphones and a dragonfly DAC.

My biggest annoyance is with wearing headphones out. I have a $300 pair of Bose that I know will break one day, and an even more expensive pair of cans where I fear the leather ear cups will wear out but the headphones themselves will function fine (Oppo PM-3s).

I also wore out the ear cups on my last ATH-M50s.

Aaron T, ZF Lee and garyjsmith like this.
  19. garyjsmith

Rep Bank:
    $1,340
    Thank you for the rep! I learned to sew last year when I had built an upholstery business...and then my upholsterer never showed up to work, all while I had a client who had placed an order for about 37 replacement outdoor cushions (hence the Sunbrella fabric on my headphones) and paid a lot for the job. The customer also kinda tossed in that they needed them in two weeks.

ZF Lee and Greg R like this.
  20. garyjsmith

Rep Bank:
    $1,340
    If I can source a broken pair of that model online, I'll get the measurements and see if I can build one for you.

ramonorencio and ThirtyOne like this.
  21. Greg R

Greg R Act, Assess, Adjust Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $22,477
    The color looks kind of Reggae or Jamaican. The options would be endless for headphone covers!

OldFaithful likes this.
  22. ramonorencio

ramonorencio New Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $72
    You don't have to worry about it buddy!
    Thanks regardless!

23. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,210
    On a separate note, those with Iphones may have noticed that the end of the charging cable tends to tear. While it might have to do with crap China manufacturing, the mainstream solution has been to patch up the tear with tape as opposed to purchasing a new and expensive charger.

But I have found tape to be shit material...it will wear off and looks shoddy as F*ck. I'm considering a solution in the form of a rubber covering that you can slide over the tear to protect the exposed wiring.

Could be Fastlaned, but on market demand, the mainstream masses might prefer the shoddier tape method or to buy a cheaper China charger duplicate....

garyjsmith likes this.
  24. 0VO

0VO Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $249
    Wouldn't that be Heat-Shrink Tubing? Slide it over, heat, and your good to go.

ZF Lee likes this.
  25. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,210
    I am uncomfortable about heating, though.
    I am afraid of applying too much heat that it damages something vital. Most people aren't handy with heat-based DIY.
    I myself did a similar thing...but that was in soldering electronics. Living skills class. Boy, my circuits were grotesque. I burnt through the soldering iron too much into the components legs, that when I pulled the switch, the currents couldn't reach them.

At least I learnt something. These days kids just do paperwork on DIYs and no hands on work.

An alternative sealing method could be the seal for airtight packaging. Although it is made of flimsy plastic, airtight package seals are pretty solid. For some reasons I have a fascination with them. If the concept can be alternated, it could be recreated with more hardier plastic or some other synthetics.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.