The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I can do this, I want to do this

MMHYSON

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 31, 2015
My name is Mike H, I have never put my self out there for anyone so this is a first for me. so please excuse me if this sound like rambling, if this is not in the right place feel free to move it. I found The Millionaire Fastlane by face book liking the quotes that pop from time to time. this book has for ever changed my way of thinking, and my entire outlook on life. I never thought of my self as a slowlaner but I struggled with "trained learned thoughts" go to school get a degree get a good job put money in a fund blah blah blah. I severely struggle with mental masturbation and its holding me back. I have great ideas and I obsess over them but then when I think about tryng to build them my mind talks me out of it by getting over whelmed. Everything says start small and it will all add up. This is by far for me the hardest step. I am having a difficult time trying to find a path. I have bought a few books to learn word press and affiliate marketing to try and grasp a direction to start, just ordered them should be here tomorrow. I also have toyed with rental property's and I have an invention I thought could make millions but my family laughed when I told them. I have reached out to a loan officer to learn about rental properties and have talked with person with significant quikbook knowledge willing to teach me. I have even reached out and talked with a large company about distributing their product. every person I reached out to I have learned more knowledge. I joined this forum to be around other like minded people and for a support like group. iam not afraid of hard work but I want to know Why I have such a road block starting. this is where my mind is right now and it feels good to get it out maybe someone else on here is in the same boat.
thanks for listening Mike H

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

brewster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 25, 2014
Austin, TX
Hey Mike, welcome to the forum.

One thing to keep in mind is that everyone started from ground zero, just like yourself.

When you enter the rabbit hole for the first time, it can be overwhelming because there's a million different paths to choose.

People will tell you their way is the right way and the only way to do things.

Take that with a grain of salt.

What you need to be doing at this point is start taking daily action towards an area you feel inclined to pursue.

Start building habits, and over time, you'll start to accumulate the knowledge and know-how.

It doesn't happen overnight, though. You've gotta be in it for the long haul.

Here's a few quick tips to help you get started:
  • Read books on interests you'd like to pursue and other good self-development books. Aim to read an hour every day. (You can find many good recommended reading lists around the web, including here.)
  • Focus on giving value to people in whatever you pursue. Success only happens when you help other people.
  • Trust your intuition. If it's telling you to pursue a certain path... go with it.
  • Do something every day.
Also, remember that it's okay to try something and fail at it, and then pivot to something else. Sometimes it will take you many failed ventures to find the one that finally clicks with who you are.

MMHYSON

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 31, 2015
Hey Mike, welcome to the forum.

One thing to keep in mind is that everyone started from ground zero, just like yourself.

When you enter the rabbit hole for the first time, it can be overwhelming because there's a million different paths to choose.

People will tell you their way is the right way and the only way to do things.

Take that with a grain of salt.

What you need to be doing at this point is start taking daily action towards an area you feel inclined to pursue.

Start building habits, and over time, you'll start to accumulate the knowledge and know-how.

It doesn't happen overnight, though. You've gotta be in it for the long haul.

Here's a few quick tips to help you get started:
  • Read books on interests you'd like to pursue and other good self-development books. Aim to read an hour every day. (You can find many good recommended reading lists around the web, including here.)
  • Focus on giving value to people in whatever you pursue. Success only happens when you help other people.
  • Trust your intuition. If it's telling you to pursue a certain path... go with it.
  • Do something every day.
Also, remember that it's okay to try something and fail at it, and then pivot to something else. Sometimes it will take you many failed ventures to find the one that finally clicks with who you are.
thanks for the reply I am tring to learn as much as possible right now. I haven't picked an avenue yet and I keep mentally fighting with ideas. I feel like I am beginning to read the code in the matrix movie.

MMHYSON

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 31, 2015
i never thought i would say this but after many years before the book and months after reading the TFM. i have found soemthing i am going to pursue its was what i thought i could never accomplish and it really just became clear one day and this is what i am suppose to do and i have started to work towards it. i have a note book with me at work i scribble notes and ideas. i have been building my website and for once in my life i feel i am the most focused i have ever been. i have filed business paper with my state and should have my tax id numbers and such. i have picked an excellant charity i want to donate a dollar amount on ever service i perform. i have a few road blocks i am tring to over come now. 1 figuring out this whole search engine opimization my site doesnt come up( this is this weekends project) 2. i want to become a large online oil lubrication equipment distributor i realize i have to start small and build my way up. i am offering a service on my website to build some clients and cash flow. a problem i am hoping someone here can guide me on is i am having a difficult time finding a whole sale supplier. and many of the big distributors wont help me due to conflict of interest in my current job. same field but totally different sides of the spectrum. once i break away they said they would set me up. im 35 with a mortgage, wife and 2 yr old iam not ready to quite my job. i need other ways to get product and pump rebuild kits. i feel i have exhausted google searching. i found a few places i can get parts but not at a savings. does anyone have any experience with my type of problem? am i not looking some where? my other question is there a differance between ecommerce and being an online distributor? any points in a direction is appreciated. if your an online distributor do you generally have a supply warehouse or do you sell through your wholesaler? i am reading a book on affiliated marketing but i feel i need a few customers that trust me before i jump into that. thanks for the ear to chat on.

MMHYSON

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 31, 2015
well i am going to use this thread as a diary for my thoughts and struggles.im not proof reading this so it will be like one big run on sentence, and thrown up grammer. the note book i carry with me eevery where is splattered with notes, ideas, thoughts, everything. and has become my best friend. SO my web site is up and running i am pretty impressed with my self and happy the way it has turned out.i signed up with one host and it was to complicated for me luckily i was able to get a refund and move to an easier no exp[eriece website builder, i struggled converting my domain name to the new host because i purchased through the old host needless to say i learned a shit load about name servers and domain hosting i wasnt counting on. i work on it almost every night tweaking and playing with it. i have filed my business with my state and plan on sending in the federal paper work next week i have a personal accountant and she sent me all the forms i needed to file and worked with me picking the llc . its amazing home much people want to help you when they see your tring to help your self, i have learned from so many people just by asking. i have been educating my self on the seo stuff and exploring other apps and ad words as a way to get my company out there. i have also reached out to Walter and have begun importing talks with a manufacturer in china.you dont have to buy 1000 items which i always thought, i am starting with 5 to test there selling capabilities in the states. i have found a great charity i cant wait to donate to when i get some business. its a charity that helps kids who lost a parent. i lost my dad at 20 yrs old a horrible day in a young persons life. i used fiverr from some one on here who recommended it and got a great logo designed (highly recommend) for 5 bucks unreal. i dont even know if my business will work but i havnt seen it done and i know i can pivot to something in the same field if it doesnt work out. i cant quite my day job and use my note book for anything business related. one of my scary thoughts is. my business has consummed me and my job is getting in the way. i cant quit my job due to having a family. i have my house for sale and tring to find somthing smaller and easier to afford this way when the time comes the wife can pick up the slack in the mean time. the rabbit hole is deep and this is a journey i wish i started earlier. been shopping around for small business banking and banks that can do wire transfers. looks like first niagra is winning.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
If you want to share your journey you need to make it easy for us to read it. Big walls of text are difficult to read.

MMHYSON

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 31, 2015
to Self. I have been diligently working on my business. I have received all my legal business llc paperwork and Its beging to feel real now!I have opened business bank account with debit and credit cards, along with setting up my wire trasnfer account so i can send trasnfers over the phone. i have had business cards made.

I have added a blog to my website, providing tips and advice on lube equipment. I keep farting around with SEO and i suck at it. going to sit down with wife this weekend and put our heads together i hate it that it takes so long to see if what you do works.

MMHYSON

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 31, 2015
Hopefully this is easier to read i dont know what i did before it sent and i wasnt done, anyway continuing on

I have been diligently working on my business. I have received all my legal business llc paperwork and Its beginning to feel real now!I have opened business bank account with debit and credit card, along with setting up my wire transfer account so i can send transfers over the phone. I have had business cards made and logo finalized. and found a cheap company to make me 3 hats for my family, it helps with morality and shows the family support plus my 2 year loves F*cking hats

I have added a blog to my website, providing tips and advice on lube equipment. no followers yet but it feels good to at least put help out there

I keep farting around with SEO and i suck at it. going to sit down with wife this weekend and put our heads together I hate it that it takes so long to see if what you did works. recently found some one on fiverr to promote my website so i will see if that helps with some traffic. i have not invested any money in marketing and i am not quite sure what to do or use. i have reached out for some prices on advertising in automotive business owner websites and forums but havent pulled the trigger yet.

I have spent lots of time on the phone with DHL, Fedex learning about international shipping and importing and feel pretty comfortable placing and over seas order. still uneasy about the wire trasnfer through but its common practice. will be pulling the trigger on my first order next week.

I have had very little activity on my website. I down loaded an app called web-stat and it shows you where the people are that have clicked your site. which is nice because when i run random ads through craigslist through out the nation i can see if they attracted anyone and a few have.

I sent out a nice letter to a loyal group of people that have bought from me on ebay thanking them and sharing new services and items i will be offering. no one responded back and it didnt even seam to have an impact on my website.

I have set up an amazon business account to sell which is somthing i am looking forward to doing.

a struggle i am having now is figuring out how to send a prepaid or pre made shipping label through email to my customer for them to send me their item for service. will be goingto ups this weekend to see if i can gather any info.

Heres a story for you . I had reached out to a distributor we use at my current job inquiring what would be involved in becoming a distributor(like a minimum purchase or just set up and account) well he went and ran his mouth to a company we work closely with and told him i had reached out asking questions telling him about the online business i am doing, sure enough that guy called my work and told my boss i had been asking questions and contacted the rep. Now what i do at my job is a service to our customers who purchase oil from us. these customers do not pay the company i work for repairs or equipment. my boss confronted me and asked why i didnt talk to him first and my answer was i wasnt ready and it was just a thought at the time. anyway my work is extremely supportive of what i am doing and will even give me work if it comes up. the company we work with and the distributor rep ran his mouth to would essentially be my competition becasue my work uses him when a custom has to pay for services. I will tell you my new motivation is taking work away from this person and i will. its funny what you learn about people when they feel threatened.

Right now i have folders and random pieces of paper and shit every where. i have purchased a nice organizer to sort all the important stuff out

I still havent had any customers or even anyone email me asking about my service. maybe its stupid and no one wants it. there is a need i just have to figure out how to reach and deliver my service. web site has been live for about 3 weeks and continuing to work on it

if any one is interested in giving me feed back my website is www.empireluberepair.com

MikeH

Atticus24

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Oct 19, 2015
Alberta
Where is it you are located? I checked out your site, good idea I must say. Not many people rebuilding those style pumps.

MMHYSON

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 31, 2015
they are pretty expensive to replace and to have a company go directly to the shop to repair ends up costing all most the price of a new one. I can rebuild it for a quarter of the price of a new one

MMHYSON

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 31, 2015
Hey Mike, glad to see you found an idea to pursue. Did you use wordpress to create the website?
no i did not. i did buy a book and read it on word press and i tried with my first web host luckily they refunded my money. i was to green and didnt want to sacrifice the time to work with it any more. i ended up using wix which is so easy and beginner friendly ( drop and paste)easy to add apps. and pretty dummy proof i had and issue and called great tech support.

E-Sharp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jun 9, 2015
Seems you've done quite a lot of work since August, and it seems like a solid idea.

One bit of constructive criticism: the website looks good visually, except for the grammar/syntax problems in the copy. It will look more professional if you fix those issues.

MMHYSON

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 31, 2015
Seems you've done quite a lot of work since August, and it seems like a solid idea.

One bit of constructive criticism: the website looks good visually, except for the grammar/syntax problems in the copy. It will look more professional if you fix those issues.
what do you mean in the copy?

E-Sharp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jun 9, 2015
what do you mean in the copy?

I mean your writing. You have spelling and punctuation errors, for example starting sentences using lowercase letters. At minimum I would run the writing through spelling/grammar tools, but probably better to have a proofreader (who could just be a friend or relative who is good at that sort of thing).

MMHYSON

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 31, 2015
I have found a person to proof read my writings. thank you for the advice every little bit helps . My wife suggested going to take non credit writing course at the local community college, I am open to that so i will look into it after the new year. Changes have been made to my site. You guys are right it looks much more professional the wife was embarrassed that it was so bad. Quite a few people took the time to check out my web site from this forum which is awesome. no one clicked the like button for my facebook page lol its ok.

Still no customers or any one inquiring about my service. I will be doing my first transaction from china and will have product to sell. can wait to share this experience with the world

Not discouraged yet its only been a month since truely being out there. It is a process and i have enjoyed everything about this so far and its rewarded to see it begin to transform from idea to concept

MMHYSON

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 31, 2015
I have been away from this site for awhile working on my business. A lot has happened and alot has been learned. A lot to still learn and fail at.

I am ready to create a progress thread, when I make some time I want to share how my journey is going. It was started with a dream I thought I could never make happen until I read the book. I have read about 16 others since. You just have to start somthing!

I would truly appreciate any feed back or tips on my website. It has come a long way from the first conception.
www.empireluberepair.com

There is a few struggles I have been having a hard time with. Not sure if i should list them here or on my progress thread.

be back soon

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...