Summary of long post: My short term goal is to make my $1000 back in at most a month. My long term is to make a million by 30. I don't foresee the moving business in the longterm (as scaling it is a little weird and costly), but rather as a way to procure some money to start something else up as well as supply me a functional home while I create websites, learn and produce.
It kind of shocks me to realize I actually own a car. A big lunky cargo van at that!
Anyway
I completed my last class of undergrad two weeks ago (no debt!) and all the while I had played with the idea of starting a small moving company in this college town (I will not mention where, yet). I initially got the idea when I went on the classifieds and answered a guy's call for moving furniture... he was paying $35/hr. Why not! I did and realized that that was a lot of money for easy work.
I knew nothing about cars and researched everything I could on used car buying and its people- thank God for the internet. After 20 phone calls, seeing 7 vans in person and traveling to three different cities, I pulled the trigger on a deal of a lifetime. All for $1000.
A 1992 GMC Vandura with mileage out the a$$ you could swear it is a lemon. Quite the contrary - I got this van from a guy who got it from his company. It was his boss's former van and apparently the boss was a stickler on maintenance. The mechanic at the garage told me, "for this many miles... it's not bad. Nothing is wrong. Except your brake pad on the front left tire is sticking to something - you'll want to get that checked out."
On my way back down to the south of the state, I pulled over because I heard thumping noises coming from the left front tire. The mechanic forgot to tighten the lug nuts. They were so loose that I could hand tighten them. One was missing.
I've owned the van for all of two days now. In five days the van goes from being my business to being my business and my home. My lease ends. My little sister will be coming to take my bed away from me tomorrow so it will force me to get used to the ground.
My short term goal is to make my $1000 back in at most a month. My long term is to make a million by 30. I don't foresee moving in the longterm, but rather as a way to procure some money to start something else up as well as supply me a functional home while I create websites, learn and produce.
I've been scouring the college online classifieds for opportunities, looking for past postings and pouncing on any I see. I've also started producing ads to promote my business.
The competition is massive, albeit a little... spoiled.
We had the rate of $45/hr. Two people have bit so far. I have lowered this down to $35/hr by "mentioning this ad." The moving season is about to peak in a few days, then it will ween off towards September.
I have had one of my ads translated into Chinese and will make flyers of it around campus.
Here is one of my ads:
It is listed on the college classifieds as:
__________________________________________________________
[Moving Service] Scared of your stairs?
Mention this ad and receive 10 dollars off your hourly rate!
One, two, three flights of stairs in your way of moving in or out of your apartment?
Let us handle them and consider it staircase closed!
_Simple Moving_
We charge 45/hr for two movers and a beast of a cargo van. No BS fees. No billing on extra trips!
Book a date today!
Contact us (24/7)
[email protected]
Text or Call
xxx-xxx-xxxx
Simple - how moving should be.
XXXXXXXXXXX is run by students and for students as well as the general public.
_________________________________________________________
I'm hoping the few pages of Victor Schwab's How to Write A Good Advertisement will pay off.
Tomorrow my big goal of the day is to post my translated versions of above ad around Asian areas of campus.
Stats:
-$418
$60/1000, 30 days left
It kind of shocks me to realize I actually own a car. A big lunky cargo van at that!
Anyway
I completed my last class of undergrad two weeks ago (no debt!) and all the while I had played with the idea of starting a small moving company in this college town (I will not mention where, yet). I initially got the idea when I went on the classifieds and answered a guy's call for moving furniture... he was paying $35/hr. Why not! I did and realized that that was a lot of money for easy work.
I knew nothing about cars and researched everything I could on used car buying and its people- thank God for the internet. After 20 phone calls, seeing 7 vans in person and traveling to three different cities, I pulled the trigger on a deal of a lifetime. All for $1000.
A 1992 GMC Vandura with mileage out the a$$ you could swear it is a lemon. Quite the contrary - I got this van from a guy who got it from his company. It was his boss's former van and apparently the boss was a stickler on maintenance. The mechanic at the garage told me, "for this many miles... it's not bad. Nothing is wrong. Except your brake pad on the front left tire is sticking to something - you'll want to get that checked out."
On my way back down to the south of the state, I pulled over because I heard thumping noises coming from the left front tire. The mechanic forgot to tighten the lug nuts. They were so loose that I could hand tighten them. One was missing.
I've owned the van for all of two days now. In five days the van goes from being my business to being my business and my home. My lease ends. My little sister will be coming to take my bed away from me tomorrow so it will force me to get used to the ground.
My short term goal is to make my $1000 back in at most a month. My long term is to make a million by 30. I don't foresee moving in the longterm, but rather as a way to procure some money to start something else up as well as supply me a functional home while I create websites, learn and produce.
I've been scouring the college online classifieds for opportunities, looking for past postings and pouncing on any I see. I've also started producing ads to promote my business.
The competition is massive, albeit a little... spoiled.
We had the rate of $45/hr. Two people have bit so far. I have lowered this down to $35/hr by "mentioning this ad." The moving season is about to peak in a few days, then it will ween off towards September.
I have had one of my ads translated into Chinese and will make flyers of it around campus.
Here is one of my ads:
It is listed on the college classifieds as:
__________________________________________________________
[Moving Service] Scared of your stairs?
Mention this ad and receive 10 dollars off your hourly rate!
One, two, three flights of stairs in your way of moving in or out of your apartment?
Let us handle them and consider it staircase closed!
_Simple Moving_
We charge 45/hr for two movers and a beast of a cargo van. No BS fees. No billing on extra trips!
Book a date today!
Contact us (24/7)
[email protected]
Text or Call
xxx-xxx-xxxx
Simple - how moving should be.
XXXXXXXXXXX is run by students and for students as well as the general public.
_________________________________________________________
I'm hoping the few pages of Victor Schwab's How to Write A Good Advertisement will pay off.
Tomorrow my big goal of the day is to post my translated versions of above ad around Asian areas of campus.
Stats:
-$418
$60/1000, 30 days left
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

