The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I am terrible at studying in highschool , but i don't want to stay stuck forever

Anything related to matters of the mind

fastermillionair

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Feb 23, 2020
Canada
Hey there fellow fastlaners ,
I know i am young compared to y'all, but thats why i am here. To learn from others who have made it, and to be honest i am stuck in a really bad situation right now.
These past 4 months i tried my hands at copywriting but didnt really stick to it. Then i started studying for exams. They just happened a couple days back and holy shit, i messed up big time. Messed up in the sense that i wont fail but i wont get an A and get into the university i wanted. And definitely no scholarship scene as well. I live in an Asian country and i really wanted to go abroad. All i can do is laugh at that since i am desperately hoping that i am able to get into the top ranked uni in my country(which nearly everyone from my school gets into and is no comparison to american unis or european).

Tbh i wont give a damn about university if it wasnt for my cousin getting a scholarship in a US university. Everything paid for him, he does an additional job over there and basically he has his life made out for him. He gets a stipend on top of that. We are both the same age. I know i am only 18 right now and going into the wrong university probably wont make a difference but still. It haunts me when i think about what may happen in the future if i get into a bad university which very likely results in a not so good job in my country. I don't want to care, but it worries me. Alot. I have seen my dad's cousins fail and struggle and live in terrible conditions while my dad made something of himself. My dad is a great guy. He came from a humble background worked very hard to get where he is. I would say that i dont want to go down his path of staying in a job, but i look at other people his age and i realize how far he has come. He doesn't pressure me or doesnt even bother but he does care alot and hes watched his friends children study abroad and even if he doesnt say so, i know he really wants me too. I do too, but its just that i am not that good at studies.

I want to devote myself else where- learning a skill like sales, copywriting- anything that work in the REAL world. I want internships, i want to create something which helps others in some way. But i don't want to end up like my fathers cousins who are losers at 50 and are struggling to survive. (This may be a generalization but i hope you get the point). I see myself like them but i really dont want to.

And well thats the end of my little story and i would really appreciate if i can get a little guidance.
After my exams end, i want to learn a skill- something that i can not only use to help others but also earn some money from. I want to learn a skill make some money off it and slowly use that money to create a business that provides value. I am not really an IT guy and i learnt some html-css but i got bored quick and quit, but i did want to learn app development. What do you suggest?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I know i am young compared to y'all, but thats why i am here. To learn from others who have made it, and to be honest i am stuck in a really bad situation right now.
These past 4 months i tried my hands at copywriting but didnt really stick to it. Then i started studying for exams. They just happened a couple days back and holy shit, i messed up big time. Messed up in the sense that i wont fail but i wont get an A and get into the university i wanted. And definitely no scholarship scene as well. I live in an Asian country and i really wanted to go abroad. All i can do is laugh at that since i am desperately hoping that i am able to get into the top ranked uni in my country(which nearly everyone from my school gets into and is no comparison to american unis or european).

Tbh i wont give a damn about university if it wasnt for my cousin getting a scholarship in a US university. Everything paid for him, he does an additional job over there and basically he has his life made out for him. He gets a stipend on top of that. We are both the same age. I know i am only 18 right now and going into the wrong university probably wont make a difference but still. It haunts me when i think about what may happen in the future if i get into a bad university which very likely results in a not so good job in my country. I don't want to care, but it worries me. Alot. I have seen my dad's cousins fail and struggle and live in terrible conditions while my dad made something of himself. My dad is a great guy. He came from a humble background worked very hard to get where he is. I would say that i dont want to go down his path of staying in a job, but i look at other people his age and i realize how far he has come. He doesn't pressure me or doesnt even bother but he does care alot and hes watched his friends children study abroad and even if he doesnt say so, i know he really wants me too. I do too, but its just that i am not that good at studies.

I want to devote myself else where- learning a skill like sales, copywriting- anything that work in the REAL world. I want internships, i want to create something which helps others in some way. But i don't want to end up like my fathers cousins who are losers at 50 and are struggling to survive. (This may be a generalization but i hope you get the point). I see myself like them but i really dont want to.

And well thats the end of my little story and i would really appreciate if i can get a little guidance.
After my exams end, i want to learn a skill- something that i can not only use to help others but also earn some money from. I want to learn a skill make some money off it and slowly use that money to create a business that provides value. I am not really an IT guy and i learnt some html-css but i got bored quick and quit, but i did want to learn app development. What do you suggest?

I suggest you read this book:

41I8yIRKBDL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

Why must you wait? Everything that you want to learn is on-line. Classes are free or cheap. Read digital books or listen to audio programs. Watch pod castes. The world is your oyster. Start today. Start tonight. Start right now. Grab your life by its #$&%%!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
What do you suggest?
Funny you should ask.
Why not do as your dad did?
Hard work and make something of yourself.

To me it sounds like you`ve got no direction.
What value? What business? Why copywriting? You`ve listed alot of things that you want, but nothing concrete, nothing of substance.
Wanting something should be reflected in your actions.
You say that you want to study abroad, but you dont study.
That just means you dont want it, or you want something else more.

Look at your actions at the moment and figure out if they align in any way with want you want.
Easy example to drive the point home:
You want to learn how to swim.
You go 5 times a week for at least 2 hours in a swiming pool or in a sea, coached, and you swim.
Thats how you learn and get what tou want.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Hi there, @fastermillionair!
Regardless of how you messed up, I can understand that there's only so much you could do, with what you had on your plate.

You might be surprised though that even the top-ranked universities will have their shortcomings.
I'm currently finishing a double-major in Finance and Business Analytics in a top Australian university (in my own country's campus).

While most of my lecturers and industry connections were prime material, the students....who actually contribute THE MOST to any college's learning environment...were another story. Group assignments and even student council politics went toxic many a time.

Check out other universities, and don't limit your options, if you really want to go.

But then again, go for degrees like medicine, engineering, computer science or law, if that's your thing.
Don't go for stuff like marketing and film studies, which can be learned by outside courses, mentoring and networking...which actually is the pathway the copywriting greats used to master the art.

My dad is a great guy. He came from a humble background worked very hard to get where he is. I would say that i dont want to go down his path of staying in a job, but i look at other people his age and i realize how far he has come. He doesn't pressure me or doesnt even bother but he does care alot and hes watched his friends children study abroad and even if he doesnt say so, i know he really wants me too. I do too, but its just that i am not that good at studies.
My dad also wanted me to go overseas to study.

I started making applications to transfer to the Australian campus last year, but then C0VlD-19 hit.
Studying overseas though can be a good way of learning about other cultures or even starting your network for business.

But i don't want to end up like my fathers cousins who are losers at 50 and are struggling to survive. (This may be a generalization but i hope you get the point)
Coincidentally, my dad went the same way.
He worked hard to start his own business, and find partners and mentors.

Much of his work ethic was due to a really dysfunctional family...his dad (my grandpa) was an a$$ who made him the only child to pay a lion's cut of his first earnings from his first job...which was like just one-thousand a month? And then my dad had to pay off instalments for his first car at the same time.

Meanwhile, my grandpa was spoiling the other brothers rotten...bought expensive cars for them that they wrecked in silly accidents.

They have tried to start their own businesses (one in China, the other did car polishing). But they f*cked up, mostly due to poor work ethic and un-Fastlane attitudes.

Even worse, one of the uncles is a graduate from a top college in my country.
And my dad only has a diploma in electrical works...

Today, I wouldn't say my uncles are struggling to survive, but my dad gets quite miffed when folks try to get money from him, for a variety of matters.

So it's not just what you study (in college, for that matter).
It's your work attitude, and how you arrange your resources and systems.

What value? What business? Why copywriting? You`ve listed alot of things that you want, but nothing concrete, nothing of substance.
This.

As for copywriting...
Study markets first before the persuasion stuff.

If you don't know your market, you risk promoting an offer no one cares about.

That means listening to your market's daily pains and struggles.
Many ways to do that, by tuning onto relevant subreddits, signing up to competitors' email lists (I study their email copy and the market pain-points they mention or miss out) or just have a job.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.