The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I am getting a real job

ssvaley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jun 17, 2013
Hey all,

I need some advice. I don't have contacts, not enough capital, so I think I should get a job, I have a degree, so its okay to get a good paying job, then I will probably network around, save some money, then working on the side on the business. If I was way younger, I probably can do things differently, I am going to be 31 this year. What you guys think of this idea?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Entrepreneurship isn't for everybody. It's probably not for you based on all of the reasons you have for not being successful.

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
I don't have contacts...not enough capital... If I was way younger
How have you survived without a job? What would you do different if you were younger? If it's really contacts and capital you need, getting a job seems to be an indirect way about it IMO.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Sure...if you want all of your energy drained so you won't work on your business, will end up in a cubicle talking about fantasy sports (if that's what you call networking), and will start buying more things to get in debt (if that's what you mean by saving money). You will catch some flack because the reasons you stated are just excuses. Trust me, I start to say the same, and realize it's just a postponement...a delay in taking action. I haven't figured out squat, but if I go back to a job, the sole purpose is to try and see if it's some industry I'm passionate about and can use as a free learning tool, or to gain some quick capital for something...not because I lack contacts, capital, or too old. What would you do differently if you weren't 31? I'm freaking out now at 28, but aside from learning entrep earlier and maybe saving more money earlier, there's not really much I can't do now that was available 10 years ago.

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
If it can help : i started my business 5000 km from family ( the only people i trusted and could have their help ) ( see my progress thread )
- A young child in one hand, and a broken heart in another .
- Jobless ( recession, budget cuts blabla )
Regrets ? None ... And i was not very young ( according to your standards of being young )
Lesson ? It's not what you have now that matters, it's what you want to have and the plan to get there.
Good luck

pds

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Apr 28, 2014
NYC
No contacts? Not enough capital? It sounds like you're making excuses for yourself. Is this a business that needs a lot of capital to get off the ground? Is it something you can get started on by bootstrapping? What action have you taken so far?

Every situation is different and you need to evaluate what is important to you right now and where you want to ultimately go. If you aren't generating any income, you should get a job. As Vigilante said, entrepreneurship isn't for everyone. While a lot of people dream of becoming an entrepreneur, they aren't willing to put the work in and take action. You will need to make sacrifices to achieve your goals. You have to want it bad enough.

Have you read The Millionaire Fastlane ?

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Hey all,

I need some advice. I don't have contacts, not enough capital, so I think I should get a job, I have a degree, so its okay to get a good paying job, then I will probably network around, save some money, then working on the side on the business. If I was way younger, I probably can do things differently, I am going to be 31 this year. What you guys think of this idea?

Ray Kroc and Colonel Sanders founded McDonalds and KFC (respectively) after the age of 50. I don't think age is a factor either way. There are plenty of younger successful entrepreneurs, and plenty of older successful entrepreneurs.

Likewise, I don't know what kinds of responses you were expecting judging by the subject matter of this forum.....

ssvaley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jun 17, 2013
Yeah entrepreneurship is not for everyone, I feel I need to have some experience or knowledge in the field first, you need contacts, who going to be directors for your company if you don't have contacts? This is not excuse, I am just not ready now.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hey all,

I don't have contacts, not enough capital, so I think I should get a job, I have a degree, so its okay to get a good paying job, then I will probably network around, save some money, then working on the side on the business. If I was way younger, I probably can do things differently, I am going to be 31 this year. What you guys think of this idea?

This sounds like head chatter. More inner-voice than something you've seriously thought about.

There's more than one way to reach your goals, whatever they are. Getting a job may work. Or it may fail.

But you better be sure, because Google & PayPal are working on life extension.

Don't wanna be 500 years old wishing you went all in when you were 31! haha

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
quit_making_excuses_about_your_health.jpg

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
It's OK to do a job while you work on your business part time, but everything you said was just an excuse and not valid reasons to not start a business.

DawnW

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Feb 2, 2015
I agree with some of the other posts: these are excuses. You will probably need contacts to find a job as well. Finding a job takes work. Starting a business takes work. And both take some degree of confidence...I hope you find comfort so you can make the decision that is good for you.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Yeah entrepreneurship is not for everyone, I feel I need to have some experience or knowledge in the field first, you need contacts, who going to be directors for your company if you don't have contacts? This is not excuse, I am just not ready now.

It takes courage and maturity to understand that. You see many people on the forum that would be similar. When you're ready… We will still be here. Meanwhile, don't stop learning.

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
Excuses aside - are you having difficulty paying your bills? Do you have a family to support?

If so, sure get a job and bring in some pay checks - and in every moment you're not asleep, at work or dedicating time to family - work on your side business.

If you don't have a family to support and you just need to pay bills - sure get a job and bring in some pay checks - and in every other moment - work on your side business.

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London

Fair enough, youre not ready.

Get a job doing something else and a year later you will only be older with less experienced and with less connections than if you start working towards your real goals today. That will be the quickest way to build experience and connections targeted to whatever your ambitions are.

Finding other 'directors' shouldn't be on your mind at the moment. You are supposed to be the director of the company. Think about finding customers.

Age, experience and connections don't really matter...they'll only care about what you have to offer them. Have you thought about what you have to offer an employer?

Everyone starts somewhere, that's what entrepreneurship is supposed to be about.

You'll be ready if you decide to be. That could easily be today. If you continue thinking your not ready, you'll never be.

Waisec

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Feb 6, 2014
Estonia
If you'd really want it, you could probably hustle for that money and still be making more than a regular job would pay

Bossopolis

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Jan 13, 2015
A lot of our grandparents came to Canada & USA with just the clothing on their backs and a few bucks and built great business / lives. I also know some recent immigrants that barely spoke English, did not know the system, no business connections, no college degree and are now VERY successful entrepreneurs. So with all due respect... you just have excuses.

Being an entrepreneur is not for everyone. The most important thing is to know yourself, be real and honest about it. If the reasons "Why" you want to be an entrepreneur are not extremely powerful and compelling to achieve it no matter what, try to find a job you will love. Otherwise you will probably just give up at the first few obstacles that you WILL encounter.

If you think you "may want to do it"... don't do it... save yourself a lot of money and pain. Its not all rainbows and unicorns being an entrepreneur. The "WHY" you want to be an entrepreneur is the most important element. Its your fuel. You should be fired up and ready to run through walls if you REALLY want to be an entrepreneur. The "HOW" is actually not difficult if the "WHY" is strong enough.

First book I recommend to read is "THINK & GROW RICH" by Napoleon Hill. It will give you great insight as to what it takes to achieve greatness at any level.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1604591870/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

For me being an entrepreneur means ultimate freedom and I am not anyone's slave. I take the vacations when I want. I work when I want. No rush hour traffic. How much I earn is up to me because more value I create, the more I get rewarded for it. I delegate what I don't want to do. The growth and learning is also a great part of it.

Good luck on your journey.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
the fastlane is a mindset. Lots of fastlane successes have been born from finding necessities in the corporate world. Excuse making won't help, but the act of keeping your eyes and ears open during a job could lead to big things. Don't let a slowlane squander your fastlane brain.

You will be building capital

you will be meeting people

there will be other launch points, and you will see them....but will you take them????

wbrett1027

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Feb 15, 2015
Sure...if you want all of your energy drained so you won't work on your business, will end up in a cubicle talking about fantasy sports (if that's what you call networking), and will start buying more things to get in debt (if that's what you mean by saving money). You will catch some flack because the reasons you stated are just excuses. Trust me, I start to say the same, and realize it's just a postponement...a delay in taking action. I haven't figured out squat, but if I go back to a job, the sole purpose is to try and see if it's some industry I'm passionate about and can use as a free learning tool, or to gain some quick capital for something...not because I lack contacts, capital, or too old. What would you do differently if you weren't 31? I'm freaking out now at 28, but aside from learning entrep earlier and maybe saving more money earlier, there's not really much I can't do now that was available 10 years ago.

Elohel....
I get up at 3:50 every morning for my "real job" (steam fitter) ... Manual labor and a lot of thinking
Work until 2pm
School starts at 4:30-8:30
I have an 1 hour drive home,
9:30 roughly I get home

From 2:30-4:30
And 9:30-11:30

I'm emailing customers
Packaging
Finding new products
Designing new products/ drawling them

If you want something bad enough you will do it, I won't give up
And neither should you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
There's nothing wrong with having a job. Do what's right for you. Ignore the haters. If you still want to start a business then use the capital from your job to do so. Good luck.

In The Mountains

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 14, 2015
As long as your day job compliments your business goals then you are headed in the right direction. Everyone needs money to live, but your focus must remain your business and you must take a step towards your goals every single day!

Right now I am working on starting a small manufacturing company, and 2/3 of the contacts I have been using for technical expertise came from my current job (currently a project manager for a manufacturing company). The skills, experience, and contacts I have made from this job have catapulted my business forward faster than I could have by myself, and I'm getting paid while learning valuable lessons on another company's budget.

Learn what you need to know, meet who you need to meet, and build everything you can when you can. As long as you are honest with yourself in heading towards goals on a daily basis, then you are making progress. :)

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Nothing but excuses and rationalizations.

The paradox is that its actually better that you don't have connections or large amounts of capital. Here is why:

You really only want to dump money into a business if you have sales OR you can reasonably expect sales. And you usually only need very little money. Second. Its easier to make connections when you have value. People call you. It doesn't work by making connections first then creating value. People will not return your phone calls.

Its simple; you work hard by putting time and effort into your business. Sweat equity. Boot strapping. You create value with your bare hands with little money and then people will CALL YOU.

There are tons of people out there that have money and connections and yet never become successful. Think about that.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.