The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I am completely lost

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
I remember joining the Fastlane in 2007 and haven't been active for about a year. But I would love input from some old friends.

I graduated college in May and things looked to be going pretty well. I won my college's business plan competition, had an awesome remote marketing internship for a Silicon Valley startup - basically life was good. I spent the summer traveling to different startup tech hubs like Austin and NYC and spending a few weeks there while simultaneously draining money. I ultimately decided Boston is where I wanted to spend the next year and I interviewed at a tech startup. I got a sales position and then signed a years lease.

During the first couple of weeks of training things looked okay. But then this job turned into misery. The other sales guys would barely even talk to one another or me because everyone viewed each other as competition. The only interaction was if one team member laughed at another. Cold calling 90x a day got old quick. My manager went MIA more often than not. $50k is good for a 22 year old kid, but I remember thinking I would rather have $30k and enjoy life. I couldn't sleep for three nights straight and finally quit yesterday.

I called my parents and they naturally freaked out. I have a $1,700 rent payment and although I've got enough for October - that is about it. I know it may seem like I made an awful decision but I couldn't describe to you how awful this culture was and how it was literally destroying my life. I should have waited to find another job but working 8 am to 7 pm didn't allow me anytime to even look.

I guess what I need right now is advice. I'm in a pretty cool city with lots of opportunity, but I am unsure which is the best for my Fastlane plan. I am interviewing for a tech support job at another startup that requires me to work from 8 pm to 7 am - and I may end up taking it. I've always had a passion for software and never enough credentials for a marketing job. I've even considered trying to get an entry-level position at a Boston real estate investment firm (if that is even possible?). I just want to be in a position where I can learn and grow - so I can eventually dump the job and begin my own venture, if its a software startup, REI, or something else.

I would appreciate any insights or advice.

Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

secretentourage

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jan 4, 2013
BOCA, LA, NY and VA
I think you need to stop worrying about being compliant about a fast lane plan and slow down for one sec. While its important to push forward with major velocity, I also believe that you sometimes need to make sure that you are ready to speed up and that the car you are in can handle the track you want to be on. Get the job that will set you up best for where you want to end up and give you the entry points and skills needed to continue growing. We spend too much time worrying about the best pay when we should worry about the best fit and eventually the best pay will come with it.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
I graduated college in May and things looked to be going pretty well. I won my college's business plan competition, had an awesome remote marketing internship for a Silicon Valley startup - basically life was good.

what happened to this guy?

why didnt you stay in SV?

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
what happened to this guy?

why didnt you stay in SV?

It was a remote internship while I was at school in NY. They didn't raise VC funding when I graduated so I looked else where. However they just raised a small round and I'm seeing if they can possibly hook me up with a remote customer service job. I'm not sure if I will talk them into this though.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Craigslist man. Stop waiting and find some job to sustain yourself. Any job will do, so long as you have income. Start massing interviews, pick something, and while you have income, start looking for better jobs.

First focus on a job, then think about your long term wealth strategy.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
What Ilrein said is what I would do if I were in your situation. I would actually try to find a job where I did physical work and was outside. I'd do that to take care of my health.

You have to have a balance I beleive. In the book "The Science of Getting Rich" it talked about serving the Mind, Body and Spirit. So for work maybe try using your body more, then at home use your mind to hash out your long term plan. I bet that you'd feel refreshed after doing physical work...I bet it will relieve stress and clear your mind. Having some income would relieve stress too haha. We have to take care of the entire system we use in life...our body, mind and I guess our spirit too ;)

Maybe try that job for a month or two and at home read more, plan more, act more on those plans, etc. Then after you feel better get a job where you can develop skills for the Fastlane. Then of course, someday...go Fastlane! ;)

Oh, Vigilante had a post that I read last night about him losing his mentor because his mentor passed away. That helped me 'wake up' and take the Fastlane more seriously and want to get up and running ASAP. It also made me think more of all the rest that life has to offer...I recommend you search for it here and read it. I'll try to find the link to it though.

'Weewax' for a little bit though, it sounds like you are really worried and the header says you are 'completely lost' so try and take it easy for a bit.

Check out this video...listen to the part about the mind and water carefully. It might be 'corny' but it's true haha ;)

Master Oogway's wisdon - YouTube

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
$50k is good for a 22 year old kid, but I remember thinking I would rather have $30k and enjoy life.

I have a $1,700 rent payment

I guess what I need right now is advice.
Even if you find another 50k job, that's about 3k/mo takehome, and you're spending 1700 of that on rent (probably around 2k after bills)... so 2/3 of your total income just to keep a roof over your head. Let that sink in for a bit...

Now at 30k, that's less than 2k/mo... so obviously that math doesn't work.

Ok, so decisions were made, can't change that, but your next decisions are new ones...

You NEED to get out of that lease asafp, or at the very least, get a couple of good roommates to split costs with.

Most apartments that I've been in will let you bail on a lease with 30 days notice, starting at the end of the month in which you notify them. (Go read your lease to be sure of the details.) So put in your notice before the end of the month, then you have 30 days to sort shit out.

I realize that you want everything you touch to be FASTLANE, but it's going to be hard to do that from a cardboard box in the alley. Get a job that you can use to put an affordable roof over your head. If you're really hustlin, all you need is a closet and an internet connection anyway.

Or start that internet business you've been putting off starting... You've got almost 6 weeks before the end of next month. Either bank enough to get a new (much cheaper!) apartment or crawl back home to your parents (or into the box in the alley).

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
I'm glad you took a definitive step not many people do that. So congrats on doing something!

However, as others have stated quitting that job may have not made perfect sense especially without any other plans. The burn your ships ideal works wonders when you have an objective to hit. But in my opinion, you burned your ship while on a deserted island in the middle of no where.

You may want to consider going back to that sales job or another, sales is one of the highest paid professions there is outside of fastlane and a majority of now big time fastlaners started in one or numerous sales jobs, because it allowed them to set their own income and inspired them to do bigger things.

If you were already making 50k you could figure out how to increase your income and make 75k or 100k in no time, I'm sure the top 20% of the guys there already are. That would allow you real breathing room to lay out your fastlane plan.

Good luck bud

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
Even if you find another 50k job, that's about 3k/mo takehome, and you're spending 1700 of that on rent (probably around 2k after bills)... so 2/3 of your total income just to keep a roof over your head. Let that sink in for a bit...

Now at 30k, that's less than 2k/mo... so obviously that math doesn't work.

Ok, so decisions were made, can't change that, but your next decisions are new ones...

You NEED to get out of that lease asafp, or at the very least, get a couple of good roommates to split costs with.

Most apartments that I've been in will let you bail on a lease with 30 days notice, starting at the end of the month in which you notify them. (Go read your lease to be sure of the details.) So put in your notice before the end of the month, then you have 30 days to sort shit out.

I realize that you want everything you touch to be FASTLANE, but it's going to be hard to do that from a cardboard box in the alley. Get a job that you can use to put an affordable roof over your head. If you're really hustlin, all you need is a closet and an internet connection anyway.

Or start that internet business you've been putting off starting... You've got almost 6 weeks before the end of next month. Either bank enough to get a new (much cheaper!) apartment or crawl back home to your parents (or into the box in the alley).

I realize the cost of living is high, but if you were familiar with Boston you would realize that's actually about as low as it gets when analyzing apartments that are within two miles of a subway. I live with my girlfriend so the numbers did make sense when I was bringing in income. She doesn't make alot of money (no college education) but I'm thinking if I take that $30k a year job ontop of her income we might be able to make it work. My mom signed as my guarantor and she thinks they're going to go after her for $18k if I leave - so I might be stuck her for a bit.

Thank you for the advice everyone.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Why don't you simply ask the landlord if you can get out?!?!

Move out of downtown Boston if you cant afford it (which you obviously cant).

D

DeletedUser2

you have a couple things to do
fast

1. change your expenses.
2. change your location (maybe boston isnt it for you, austin can be cheap, cool with a great start up scene)
3. decide what you want to do.

you got out of school, now your real education can begin.

read every night. don't go party, read and learn. RE entrepreneurs. read the forum here. (collage education here, x4)
start listening to pain that people complain about. listen, then do something. test

I think 3rd circle theory by "secret entourage" might be a good start.

pick a direction.

people systems, or software, or product or service. something

start talking to people who already have biz. ask them about it, how they do it, what makes it work etc. (another education all by itself)

Get a job. I really don't care about your misery level. the real question is, are you learning something useful there? are you gaining a skill that could help you in business? cold calling 90x a day. sounds like a useful skill to have if you need it.

quite being a pussy. 22 50K a year, and in deep training in a skill that could help make you millions? ah, poor guy. in other words, if you cant stick it out in something you need to learn, how are you ever going to make the money you dream of?

I have had shitty jobs I hated, and I suffered through them. and in return I found the ability to get shit done even when things sucked. THAT helped me latter in life. Grinding through the tough jobs helps you get through the desertion phase of any business.

So I dont feel an ounce of sympathy. but you asked for help.

so, again, change your expenses.
get a job for now
get a real education.

good luck

Z

G

Guest3722A

That apartment owns and controls you and never rely on a significant other to help with bills as this is another form of being controlled

G

Guest3722A

also - you may be able to break that lease without penalty by obtaining employment at an unreasonable distance from the apt. Some states allow for that and some contracts do

JudoTom

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Sep 3, 2013
Scranton PA
Definitely find a job asap and supplement it on the side asap.
Check the laws and call your landlord. Just be honest.

Not sure about your state but in mine if a tenant of mine bails I can go after him for rent only for the time my apartment is not rented. So if there are 10 months left on the least but I rent it after 2 months then I can go only go after him for 2 months. Hope that makes sense.
But if anyone came to me and said I gotta leave I would just ask them to clean the place top to bottom and let me start showing it asap.

What is your degree in and what type of job experience do you have? I have some good friends and family in Boston.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
I realize the cost of living is high, but if you were familiar with Boston you would realize that's actually about as low as it gets when analyzing apartments that are within two miles of a subway.

That doesn't change math. I live in a crazy expensive place too, and people either live in shoeboxes, have shitty commutes, rely on multiple roommates (or at least two people with solid incomes), or all of the above.

I'm thinking if I take that $30k a year job ontop of her income we might be able to make it work.

I almost didn't bother to post because I knew you wouldn't like my advice. Wtf would you want to make "it" work though? It's just a rental. It's not like you're losing your house or you've lived there long enough to care about it. It's just a money pit that you don't even need anymore since you don't have your old job.

My mom signed as my guarantor and she thinks they're going to go after her for $18k if I leave

You're basing huge decisions and are resigning yourself to being "stuck here" on something "she thinks"??? You have a lease. Go and read it. Or don't. You've already decided, or you would have read it and at least educated yourself about the situation. (Also, not that it matters now, but you probably want to read those things before you sign them.)

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
Thank you everyone. Everyone is really insightful. I'm talking to my landlord in a few minutes and I'm hoping I can move home. Even if I am making $10 an hour at home, my mind will be alot more clear with alot less stress. Thank you all.

G

Guest3722A

If anything is presented that requests a signature, please consider bringing here for discussion :) Which of course isn't legal advice, but is only discussion :)

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Your girlfriend and you should probably start sharing costs if you don't already. And if you don't that's also something to think about since she doesn't make good money..Not judging your relationship but I had to end mine 6 months ago because it was just dead weight to an already sinking ship. Now, I'm on a speedboat :thumbsup:
The less passengers you have to carry, the lighter your weight AND the faster you're able to go for YOURSELF.

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
I think I have been under this false pretense that I need to work in a tech startup in a big city and make alot of money in order to learn how to become an entrepreneur. In college I interned for an entrepreneur who owned a manufacturing company that did about $2m a year in profit. I learned so much during that time, I just am so naive to do what I have done.

I'm going to go back to living in the suburbs. Hell, I might even try to work for $10 an hour for that entrepreneur again. I'm going to rejoin the local REI club. I'm going to go to the tech meetups, even though they are insanely small compared to Boston, going to the Boston meetups hasn't returned the outcomes that I had put all this work in for.

I want to thank everybody again. I still haven't spoken to my landlord I'm waiting for him to call me back. But I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
I called my parents and they naturally freaked out.

I hope this is a lesson learned. No wonder they freaked out. They are not just emotionally involved, but are financially also.
Let me ask you. If it was someone else, ie, a business partner, or your best friend, that had signed the dotted line with you, don't you think you would have contacted them prior to jumping ship? I mean. Would you do this to a business partner?

You parents were/are your business partners in your apartment. You flat made a decision that not only affects you but them also.

Not a good way to treat business partners.

Don't burn bridges with people that have a financial risk with you.

Period

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
Don't burn bridges with people that have a financial risk with you.

Period

You're right. I messed up big time but I'm trying to make up for it.

I talked to my landlord and he was pretty cool about things. He said I need to pay October (which I expected) but that he's keeping my $2k security deposit as well. I understand that this is still a pretty good deal, but my parents helped chip in for my security so this gets factored into my near-term plan which is as follows:

1.) Move home and get a job right away. I'm not going to waste time looking for a $30k a year desk job, I'll take $8 an hour at the local grocery store. I'm going to pay my parents back for what they chipped in + more.

2.) I'm going to rejoin my local real estate investment club and try to get a wholesale deal with an investor. I would even take manual labor, I just want to work for/learn from someone who is making money from real estate.

3.) I'm considering getting my real estate license. Obviously this would occur after I pay my debts to my parents and can save up for real estate school, but I developed this idea because I'm going to need about $10k for my first REI deal and working as an agent I could both learn and make some decent money in the process. What do you guys think of this?

4.) The final step of my near-term plan is to buy and flip a house in the next 6-12 months.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.