The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I’m Reading Atlas Shrugged; You’re Invited!!!!

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
Is this a book suitable before sleeping btw ? or does it F*ck you up like Unscripted , in that it fills your head your head with buzzing ideas and dreams?
Lol, depends on how into it you get

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Is this a book suitable before sleeping btw ? or does it F*ck you up like Unscripted , in that it fills your head your head with buzzing ideas and dreams?
Haha. You'll be fine, I think. You may get a little angry when you see parallels all around you in the real world, but you should be able to sleep. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
What’s the best way to organise this? A seperate thread for each chapter?

There will be a new thread every Friday containing a short summary of two chapters. Then it’s up to you guys to discuss the finer points of plot, quotes that slayed you, characters that you love, hate, or are secretly afraid that you are.

Great before bed reading. It’s a legit story.

I’m so glad! I look forward to your insights.

Hassassin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Oct 14, 2012
Ladies and Gentlemen... You should prepare to never be the same. You will realize that you have had Stockholm Syndrome your entire life. If you can't learn to cope, you will live in perpetual frustration with government.

Wisdom is a blessing and a curse.

I’ve ordered the book. Your statement reminds of how I felt closing the last few pages of George Orwell’s 1984, brutally mind-f**ked man!

Btw @Primeperiwinkle, have you guys started reading yet?

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018

Discussion on Chapters 1&2 starts on November 1st. So that means by Nov 1st you should have read both chapters one and two.

ETA: Happy to have you on board.

Last edited:

AniM

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Apr 11, 2018
DC
I read anthem back in high school and loved it. Definitely changed some of my beliefs.

I've been meaning to read Atlas Shrugged since then so count me in.

Btw I ran a book club with a similar format at my last job where we had multiple meetings per book and read together at the same pace. It was great for discussion so I'm excited for that aspect of this.

Not sure if any of you have played any of the Bioshock games which are loosely based off of Any Rand's works but those were pretty cool too although I'm not sure I ever finished them.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I read anthem back in high school and loved it. Definitely changed some of my beliefs.

I've been meaning to read Atlas Shrugged since then so count me in.

Btw I ran a book club with a similar format at my last job where we had multiple meetings per book and read together at the same pace. It was great for discussion so I'm excited for that aspect of this.

Not sure if any of you have played any of the Bioshock games which are loosely based off of Any Rand's works but those were pretty cool too although I'm not sure I ever finished them.

Always great to have someone w/ experience in book discussions! I’m glad you’re joining the fun!

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Is this a book that’ll require you to stop, take notes, and continue? Or is this the type of book to simply listen and soak in?

I’m getting close to committing, haha.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Is this a book that’ll require you to stop, take notes, and continue? Or is this the type of book to simply listen and soak in?

Just listen.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018

Short Answer: You don’t have to take notes. You’ll be a great participant without them cuz you’ll ask questions and give others the opportunity to answer and clarify what they’re thinking.

Long Answer: Because of the nature of online book discussions... the leader has to summarize the chapters each week so ... I have to take notes. Hopefully, I’ll be able to keep the summaries relatively short.

The discussion will go as deep as ppl make it. If we spend time at a surface level of discussion, that’s fine. If ppl want to delve that would be better but.. again..
you’re gonna get out of the book as much as you put in.

Remember this is the order of depth in conversation:

Puddle Level : Pleasantries
Kiddie Pool Level: Facts
4ft Pool: Emotions
12ft Deep End: Needs

In a decent environment where everybody’s trying to grow we should expect an ebb and flow into all those levels. My job as the discussion leader is to host, to invite ppl to share their thoughts/feelings/questions and not let any one person dominate the group with their take on the subject.

I really, really want those of us who have never read the book to lean on each other and figure it out together NOT rely on the ppl who have already read it. The biggest problem of a scripted education is that it teaches you to never rely on yourself and always look for “The Authority”.

In other words, I’M TALKING TO YOU MY LOVELY INTROVERT FRIENDS, everybody will get a chance to share their perspective. Please. We will be figuring this book out together.

I look forward to reading everyone’s insights and watching as ppl answer each other’s questions.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Sounds like a great opportunity for some personal growth (and a nice intrusion into Halbert's Letter Challenge). Count me in!

Yay! Happy to have you!

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
Ok, I'll play. I'm Zombie MySpace Tom for Halloween

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I’ve ordered the book. Your statement reminds of how I felt closing the last few pages of George Orwell’s 1984, brutally mind-f**ked man!

Bro, this. The mindf*ck that was 1984 has not been replicated yet. Animal Farm is close but I read it when I was in high school so I might be exaggerating how much I remember I liked it.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
GIRL I got a head start on you, I am half way since like, 2 years ago LOL. You read my mind. In fact my 3/3 NY 2019 resolution was to finish it, and it's October.

Let's get this bread

YASSSSSSSSS!!!! Wohoooo! Happy to have you lady!!

Hassassin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Oct 14, 2012
Bro, this. The mindf*ck that was 1984 has not been replicated yet. Animal Farm is close but I read it when I was in high school so I might be exaggerating how much I remember I liked it.

HAHA I know the feeling. Trust me, after completing 1984 (also in high school) I felt it triggered my first ever existential crisis and supplemented my dislike for authority! Mind=blown

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Last week, I went through my Kindle and sorted through all of these old books from 2014-2016 that I never got around to. I had around 100, cut it down to 20, and I want to finish these before I even consider looking at something new. Atlas Shrugged is one of them. So, count me in.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Last week, I went through my Kindle and sorted through all of these old books from 2014-2016 that I never got around to. I had around 100, cut it down to 20, and I want to finish these before I even consider looking at something new. Atlas Shrugged is one of them. So, count me in.

Happy to have you.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
First time reading it, and I’m almost done with the first 8 hrs. The conversations had by Hanks pretentious party guests could have come right out of the BS I used to be subjected to when I worked for NGOs.

Fiction just got real.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
First time reading it, and I’m almost done with the first 8 hrs. The conversations had by Hanks pretentious party guests could have come right out of the BS I used to be subjected to when I worked for NGOs.

Fiction just got real.

One of my friends read it a while ago, and she started finding real life examples of the characters everywhere...

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Fiction just got real.

I think @Primeperiwinkle is going to cut you now.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
first infraction noted.

*pulls out knife sharpener and looks at it

Dammit I’m 39 and I still don’t know how to use the knife sharpener.. ugh.

*throws olive at person-who-shall-not-be-named

Heh.

*goes to freshen up the hors d’oeuvres.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
One of my favorite books of all time.

It's a classic. Even communists should read it (just like all capitalists should read The Communist Manifesto).

I find Atlas Shrugged to be motivating and foster a tribal mindset among entrepreneurs. It's a very valuable book if entrepreneurship is in your life plan.

FYI it was pretty much a bible for Steve Jobs and Mark Cuban. After you finish Atlas Shrugged, also pick up Fountainhead, which is better in some ways.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.