The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I’m Reading Atlas Shrugged; You’re Invited!!!!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Several ppl on the forum have evinced a desire to read Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged but it wasn’t until I googled Kak’s profile line “Who is John Galt?” that I decided I had to read this freaking book before the Summit.

I’m not a fan of Ayn Rand. I’ve never read ANY of her books before. I have no clue what this book is about.

Since Atlas Shrugged has 30 chapters I need to read 2 chapters a week to finish by February 7th. I ordered my copy last week and started reading today. I’m four pages in and I already know from experience that

This is real literature.

And I want to discuss it.

If you’d like to join me I’d love to have you in this SCHEDULED book discussion. Really. I think you’re smart. Whether you’re 15 or 78. Get in here and discuss. What does that mean?

A Scheduled Book Discussion means:

1. We read at an assigned pace together.

2. Each week I summarize what the book said then we talk about what we think it means and how we felt about it.

3. We can only talk about that weeks chapters in that thread. There will be a new thread every week.

4. You CAN ONLY TALK ABOUT the chapters we have already read.

5. No spoilers.

6. NO FREAKING SPOILERS OR I WILL CUT YOU!!!

I can’t possibly make this an inviting and flourishing book discussion if everybody just reads the whole book really fast.

I want to read it together. WITH you. Not AT you. My intent is to ponder and wonder about the book NOT TEACH. I’ve never read the book and I will not be reading any summaries or cliff notes or websites about it. I’m jumping in with only my wits and a pen to underline stuff. Yay!

In other forums this type of structured book discussion has gone amazingly well and has resulted in some powerful paradigm shifts and great relationships. I’m hoping it will happen here but I have no idea. Y’all might just ignore me. I doubt it though cuz I’m entertaining and oh so much fun. Lol. Also, sarcasm. Ha!

Every week I will post a new thread with a summary of the two current chapters. IN THAT THREAD we can discuss what we got out of those two chapters. Please read w/ me!! But no spoilers!!!!!!

If you’ve already read the book PLEASE PLEASE come hang out! But don’t give spoilers. The beauty here is that we will most definitely get some stuff wrong and/or have differing (sometimes passionately so) views but that w/ humility we will change our minds by reading more and DISCOVERING FOR OURSELVES what the book has to say to us.

You’re not a sheep. I don’t have to tell you what to think. You can figure it out on your own. But figuring something out together is just more fun.

If you’re not interested.. no worries. If you are interested (and excited!) please order your book now because this is the discussion schedule.

Part One
November 1st ~ Atlas Shrugged Ch 1-2
November 8th ~ Atlas Shrugged Ch 3-4
November 15th ~ Atlas Shrugged Ch 5-6
November 22nd ~ Atlas Shrugged Ch 7-8
November 29th ~ Atlas Shrugged Ch 9-10

Part Two
December 6th ~ Atlas Shrugged Ch 11-12
December 13th ~Atlas Shrugged Ch 13-14
December 20th~ Atlas Shrugged Ch 15-16
December 27th~ Atlas Shrugged Ch 17-18
January 3rd ~ Atlas Shrugged Ch 19-20

Part Three
January 10th ~ Atlas Shrugged Ch 21-22
January 17th ~ Atlas Shrugged Ch 23-24
January 24th ~ Atlas Shrugged Ch 25-26
January 31st ~ Atlas Shrugged Ch 27-28
February 7th ~ Atlas Shrugged Ch 28-30

Woot!
in

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Hey @Bekit @broswoodwork @Strategery @BellaPippin @PapaGang @MTEE1985

I double dog dare you guys to read this with me.

Ok, you're on. Like you, I am not a fan, have never read her, have no idea what the book is about.
I'm going to be cheap and get it from the library until I determine whether it is worth the purchase price.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Ladies and Gentlemen... You should prepare to never be the same. You will realize that you have had Stockholm Syndrome your entire life. If you can't learn to cope, you will live in perpetual frustration with government.

Wisdom is a blessing and a curse.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Ok, you're on. Like you, I am not a fan, have never read her, have no idea what the book is about.
I'm going to be cheap and get it from the library until I determine whether it is worth the purchase price.

We’re gonna be arguing vehemently about the characters. You’ll keep up so you can be an intelligent participant. Seriously, one of the characters is EXACTLY like half the wannabe entrepreneurs who post on here... it’s eerie.

Ladies and Gentlemen... You should prepare to never be the same. You will realize that you have had Stockholm Syndrome your entire life. If you can't learn to cope, you will live in perpetual frustration with government.

Wisdom is a blessing and a curse.

So my Christian friends say it’s dark, twisty, and that there’s a worldview in it that is unsettling. I’m hoping everyone participating will unravel the hell out of the characters motives. But the writing.. oh dude.. the writing is just.. glorious. Rand writes so clearly.

Better start the download now so it’s ready by November 1!

Discussion for chapters 1&2 STARTS November 1st so y’all better get absorbed in the story QUICK.

Good thing I already know you will.

There’s a character that’s JUST LIKE EACH OF US in the book or, at the very least, like who we wish we were. I’m already in love with this book!!

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
62 hours.... I had no idea what I was signing up for. This isn't a book club. It's a part time job.

EDIT: Now that I know there's a book in existence called "The Road Less Stupid", I'm gonna have to read that too. Don't even care what it's about. Best book title ever.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
62 hours.... I had no idea what I was signing up for. This isn't a book club. It's a part time job.

The entirety of Lord of the Rings is 481,103 words.

Atlas Shrugged is 561,996 words.

It's a big book.

Size aside, what I find most fascinating about Atlas Shrugged is that you can ask 5 people about it and swear they all read 5 different books. It's really amazing how you end up with totally opposite ideas of what the book is about simply based on which characters people associate themselves with in the book.

It's a truly great book though, and THE BOOK that got me off my a$$ and into starting my first business. You could say that reading this book was my "F*ck this" event and turned me from a follower in life to a leader.

If there's one criticism of the book I have, it's that it's not terribly well written (in my opinion). It's heavy handed with every aspect of Rand's philosophy and it leaves zero room for subtlety with the characters or writing. Everyone and everything is basically an extreme caricature of an idea. It's impossible not to understand exactly what Ayn Rand is trying to say.

Conversely, now that I think about it, maybe that's what makes the book so great and enduring - the message isn't lost in subtlety or flowery prose. Perhaps these kind of ideas NEED an extreme amount of bluntness to get the message across undiluted. In any case - it does get a bit dry at times as a result. Especially in "that" chapter. The three hour one. Anyone who's read it knows what I'm talking about.

This is a great idea - thanks for starting this! I've been meaning to re-read it myself as it's also been about 10 years for me. It's basically "must read" material for anyone interested in business and self improvement.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
[
The entirety of Lord of the Rings is 481,103 words.

Atlas Shrugged is 561,996 words.

It's a big book.

Size aside, what I find most fascinating about Atlas Shrugged is that you can ask 5 people about it and swear they all read 5 different books. It's really amazing how you end up with totally opposite ideas of what the book is about simply based on which characters people associate themselves with in the book.

It's a truly great book though, and THE BOOK that got me off my a$$ and into starting my first business. You could say that reading this book was my "F*ck this" event and turned me from a follower in life to a leader.

If there's one criticism of the book I have, it's that it's not terribly well written (in my opinion). It's heavy handed with every aspect of Rand's philosophy and it leaves zero room for subtlety with the characters or writing. Everyone and everything is basically an extreme caricature of an idea. It's impossible not to understand exactly what Ayn Rand is trying to say.

Conversely, now that I think about it, maybe that's what makes the book so great and enduring - the message isn't lost in subtlety or flowery prose. Perhaps these kind of ideas NEED an extreme amount of bluntness to get the message across undiluted. In any case - it does get a bit dry at times as a result. Especially in "that" chapter. The three hour one. Anyone who's read it knows what I'm talking about.

This is a great idea - thanks for starting this! I've been meaning to re-read it myself as it's also been about 10 years for me. It's basically "must read" material for anyone interested in business and self improvement.

So you’re joining?!?

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Been meaning to read it for a while. I'm pretty busy now. But I'll do my best to keep up.

You gotta commit man.. it’s a big challenging book. You’ll give up by pg 200 if you’re not committed. Lol. I neeeeeeed you to commit to this or I won’t finish it! (I never lead stuff so I need the accountability!)

And I already know you’re a leader. Yep yep. You can do this!

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
And it’s not just the book you’re investing in.. it’s yourself and relationships with ppl on the forum who you will be meeting in February.

I mean.. that’s priceless. Have you seen the line up so far?!? We got leaders voluntarily offering to hang out w/ us and argue. I GUARANTEE you will end this book a closer friend to somebody just because of the convo cuz there’s literally no way to tackle a book this big without us getting our butts hurt, having to reassess our own limiting beliefs, and CHANGING. It takes guts to do that. It earns respect. Just wait. You’ll see!

I’m just hoping y’all can dive in and attack the crap out of it without holding back.

Tubs

Starting fresh
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Apr 5, 2019
VA
You gotta commit man.. it’s a big challenging book. You’ll give up by pg 200 if you’re not committed. Lol. I neeeeeeed you to commit to this or I won’t finish it! (I never lead stuff so I need the accountability!)

And I already know you’re a leader. Yep yep. You can do this!
Alright alright I get it, I'll add this to my list of committments.
But in exchange you've gotta send some of your boundless energy my way :D

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
So you’re joining?!?

Sadly no - I'll very likely end up reading it again in the next year or so though.

I'm super stoked you're getting so many other folks into this great book though!

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Sadly no - I'll very likely end up reading it again in the next year or so though.

I'm super stoked you're getting so many other folks into this great book though!

Awww.. darn but thank you for the good vibes dude! I’m really happy too, I never expected this many ppl at all!

Although typically only about ten percent of women who sign up will finish a book discussion.. so I’m curious to see how a male dominant book discussion will go. Feel free to jump in and spur on discussion since you’ve already read the book.

The business insights are already pretty damn amazing.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Just Bought it, so no going back now ;)

62 hours 56 mins, nothing short of Epic!

I'm guessing most people do this but in case some don't, I definitely recommend listening to books or podcasts at 1.5-2x speed. I find I have to pay attention more at this speed which leads to my brain drifting off less

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm guessing most people do this but in case some don't, I definitely recommend listening to books or podcasts at 1.5-2x speed. I find I have to pay attention more at this speed which leads to my brain drifting off less

Absolutely this.

My wife thinks I'm crazy because I listen/watch everything informational on 2x speed but I honestly can't go back to real time speed at this point - it almost sounds like slow motion.

I totally agree with the easier to pay attention point. If it's any slower I get frustrated, bored, and tend to multi-task (and then retain none of the info since I wasn't paying attention).

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Absolutely this.

My wife thinks I'm crazy because I listen/watch everything informational on 2x speed but I honestly can't go back to real time speed at this point - it almost sounds like slow motion.

I totally agree with the easier to pay attention point. If it's any slower I get frustrated, bored, and tend to multi-task (and then retain none of the info since I wasn't paying attention).

I have had the same experience. Wife gets into car before I can turn book off.... “How on earth can you understand that?”

It is surprising how fast you can go by bumping it up little by little

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
So my Christian friends say it’s dark, twisty, and that there’s a worldview in it that is unsettling. I’m hoping everyone participating will unravel the hell out of the characters motives. But the writing.. oh dude.. the writing is just.. glorious. Rand writes so clearly.

They are spewing nonsense. You don’t need to be a statist to be a Christian. In Ayn Rand’s case, a product of Soviet Russia, she was an Athiest. Still the pro business and pro freedom message is phenomenal.

Not to derail this conversation, but I can easily reconcile a lifestyle of aggressive achievement and frustration with the state with my Christian beliefs.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
They are spewing nonsense. You don’t need to be a statist to be a Christian. In Ayn Rand’s case, a product of Soviet Russia, she was an Athiest. Still the pro business and pro freedom message is phenomenal.

Not to derail this conversation, but I can easily reconcile a lifestyle of aggressive achievement and frustration with the state with my Christian beliefs.

<insert British accent here> My friends rarely “spew” and when they do it’s delightful. <end accent here> They encouraged me to read it and discuss what I got out of it. Lol.

It’s not a derailment it’s a discussion. Thank you for sharing. It bears directly on the book.

I can’t wait to discuss the merits of the characters and their ideas as we proceed. IMO the absolute best joy of a book discussion is the freedom to shred the characters w/o worrying about anyone’s feelings. If they do something that’s stupid we can say so; I’m sure you will say it promptly!

(And then let the disagreements commence! Muahahaaaaa!!!)

I’m relatively sure we don’t have any idiots in this group so I’m hoping for the best but oh man if y’all don’t talk a bunch and correct my narrations and flesh out the ideas and dig in to the motives of the characters I will be so disappointed..

Just summarizing these chapters is work. Oy.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014

I actually ended up moving toward the libertarian camp precisely because of my religious beliefs, not in spite of them. It’s okay to be the crazy guy at the table at thanksgiving.

Tubs

Starting fresh
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Apr 5, 2019
VA
Went through a whole web design course on 2x recently. Got me extremely focused on it. Switching back to normal speed felt like I was watching it in slow motion.

WJS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Dec 3, 2017
MY
@Primeperiwinkle count me in! I've never heard of this book before and was hesitant to join the discussion due to the sheer volume of the book (as mentioned by others). However as I started reading it got really interesting and before you know it I'm done with the first chapter (and yes I see a lot of areas that are up for discussions/debates) so thank you for doing this and for the recommendation. It's a really interesting novel indeed =)

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
@Primeperiwinkle count me in! I've never heard of this book before and was hesitant to join the discussion due to the sheer volume of the book (as mentioned by others). However as I started reading it got really interesting and before you know it I'm done with the first chapter (and yes I see a lot of areas that are up for discussions/debates) so thank you for doing this and for the recommendation. It's a really interesting novel indeed =)

Happy to have you man.

Conscripted

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Sep 16, 2019
Missouri
I'm in on this one. 1.5 for driving. 2x when I can focus.
Audible has this functionality built in. I use the maple app for mp3s. It works great.

scottmsul

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Apr 29, 2017
Boulder, CO
I'm interested! I read Fountainhead many years ago but not this one. Just breezed through the first two chapters, I had trouble putting it down. It's gonna be hard to restrain myself to not read ahead for the discussions (I may have peeked at chapter 3;)). Definitely a lot of similarities with Fountainhead in terms of the types of characters that exist in this universe.

Conscripted

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Sep 16, 2019
Missouri
I'm interested! I read Fountainhead many years ago but not this one. Just breezed through the first two chapters, I had trouble putting it down. It's gonna be hard to restrain myself to not read ahead for the discussions (I may have peeked at chapter 3;)). Definitely a lot of similarities with Fountainhead in terms of the types of characters that exist in this universe.
I think they are the same story.

Atlas Shrugged is sort of a top down society level view.
Fountain head is more in the trenches view of life.

That's how it's organized in my head.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.