The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to structure introduction of new partner?

A post of a ranting nature...

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Hey All,

First off, thank you for any help. I would appreciate some feedback on my proposed structure for introducing a new partner to my business. I set off to create a "Create your own intranet" software last year that was showing HUGE demand, however I have 2 problems: I coded it terribly, and I tailored the service to my two biggest clients needs, which ended up making it a bit un-scalable and difficult to use for clients who just signed up via the internet - I am bringing on a ton of trial customers but losing them hand over fist because it is not as easy as advertised.

I have determined the software needs to be rebuilt from scratch and placed in a separate legal entity. I want to bring in a coder I've known for years who would be absolutely perfect, and is interested. However, he's not just interested in money, he wants some skin the game and to be part of something significant but lacks the marketing/business skills. Here's my proposed offer:

- Offer him $5,000 to recode the basics from scratch so I can get it back on the market. (200 hrs at $25/hr).

- I'll continue to sell the new service as part of my current legal entity, however once we achieve $1000/month, I will place the service in a new business entity and give him 7.5% equity and I will look after all marketing, legal, incorporation, accounting, etc. This allows me to run the experiment of seeing if the new version will sell, without having to commit anything.

- Once we hit $3,000/month I will hire him as CTO at around $30,000/year which I don't believe he is making much more than now as a coder.

Any feedback, things I am missing? Can these stipulations be even added into an agreement he signs? If it is relevant, my current version of the software is netting $130,000 per year, however only among 4 large customers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
I see lots of issues here, but I have a question first.

What kind of coder is he at $25 an hour, or making less than ( currently ) $30k a year?

Is this some type of remote developer in an Asian or small European nation?

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I see lots of issues here, but I have a question first.

What kind of coder is he at $25 an hour, or making less than ( currently ) $30k a year?

Is this some type of remote developer in an Asian or small European nation?

Thanks for your question! Nope hes from Canada, I've known him for about 10 years. Self taught, and was doing labour and working with a few companies over the last few years. Best programmer I know and we started a few small businesses back in college that went under.

He just took his first actual "job" coding last year as an entry-level front end developer at a creative agency, and I don't know his salary but I know that role in an agency typically only pays between 35k - 45k a year which ends up being between 17-22/hour. I know he could use the upfront money, and is very sick of agency life so would take a pay cut to do his own thing if we got to the salary stage.

I'm relatively flexible though on the contract/salary or equity as at this point it's like I'm losing thousands of dollars losing customers.

Last edited:

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
This was going to be my question... If he's even a half-decent, semi-experienced developer in North America, he should easily be making six figures these days. If he's really only making $30K as an entry-level developer, he's probably not as good as you think he is. I would set very specific goals before offering him equity or anything else of long-term value.
Damn I had no clue devs made that kind of money. Highest paid dev I know working for someone is making like $52k.

It seems like there are a lot of talented self taught devs out there and if they aren't operating their own business or contracting they'll accept a lower paid entry level position and will have to do it for years if they have no " work experience" and especially if they don't have a degree

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Hmm. Given that he's experienced enough and I work out a liveable salary; any feedback on the incorporation at 7.5%?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Fixed scope, lump sum for the update.

If he proves himself, then talk about the future. Don't over promise for him to under deliver.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
@JScott

Well you've given me a LOT to think about lol. I really appreciate the feedback! This is really a tough choice. There's 2 sides of it

1) I do believe he's technically adequate, at least for initial scaling. I've proven there is a need for the service and am losing time and opportunity every day on it. However, I still have a lot to learn and assume this won't be my "final" version anyways, so obtaining someone with his experience and attitude that I know and trust, at a reasonable rate would be difficult. I could double up and pay him $10,000 for example and not give him the equity, but he's just not interested in the money, I think he'll be more motivated if he has some skin in the game. And he has experience

2) Giving away equity is dangerous. If things don't work out, as they sometimes don't, I'd have to buy him out I suppose? But really, at 7.5% what is the danger there? He might have claim to 7.5% of net profit? What does equity really entitle people to anyways?

@ZCP I think you have a point. Think I just need to find the balance of keeping him satisfied on the lump sum cost and then make him prove himself for the equity. Question is... can I dangle that carrot in front of his face without "promising" anything.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
What does equity entitle people to? It really depends on your Operating Agreement and/or Shareholder Agreements. It most likely entitles him to 7.5% of any distributions made by the company and/or 7.5% of the net income if the company is sold and/or 7.5% of the net income from IP/licensing/etc.

As for buying out that 7.5%, what does the Operating Agreement say about that? Can you do that unilaterally (I wouldn't accept equity with those terms)? What is the value of the equity pegged at? Do you need any appraisal of the company? Do you need to have a verified offer from a buyer?

If you think the company has serious potential, I would highly recommend getting an attorney involved before you start handing out equity...especially if your plan is to potentially buy back the equity at your discretion (it doesn't typically work that way).

Thanks man. Can't express how helpful this is!

I'll likely consult my attorney on this. To be honest - I don't know if it has potential, I just know I have seen signs that there is a big need but it's still a huge gamble for me to invest my own time, or to pay $25,000+ to have it re-coded by someone else. If he'll take the upfront cash plus opportunity for equity if we reincorporate after hitting X sales, I get to run the experiment cost-effectively, and my risk is I am giving away a small piece of equity to a new business with almost no sales. Seems like much less of a risk.

Thank you for your help!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.