The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to pitch bloggers/influencers?

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Hey Amp, I have been practising writing emails. And I am going to include a pre-written article. Though I had a bit of a silly question. You said "That would be a good fit for the blog", should this article be about my product? Thanks.

They aren't going to want any content that is a full feature ad for your product.

It needs to be an informative article that is relevant to your niche. Your product can be mentioned in the article. The article just can't be about your product. Make sense?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
So I can't find a guide on this anywhere, I have found guides to pitch bloggers about guest posting for example but not to get coverage of my app. My goal is to get them to promote my app, obviously I need to provide them some sort of value and I've got the part down of providing the pictures/benefits of the app in the email. But how to start the email to get them interested I have no idea. And also needed some examples of a headline that will catch the eyes of the blogger/influencer.

You may have already sent out your outreach, but I just wanted to provide an idea for this - Research the names of journalists who have written about a similar app. Then reach out to them with something like this: "Hey [name], I found your recent coverage of [the other app] really interesting and insightful. I wondered if you would consider reviewing [my app] too. It's for [target audience] and it [basic description / value prop that they'll find intriguing]. Let me know if you'd like to collaborate on this. [your signoff].

I also read that each email pitch should be different, but I don't see why I don't just send the same email considering my request is all the same? I'm constantly lost on what to do and need some guidance.

Put yourself in the blogger's shoes. Imagine that you get dozens of these pitches a week. The storyline in your head goes something like this: "I can't believe this guy just sent me this canned email. He doesn't even know ANYTHING about me. If he did, he would have mentioned at least ONE of these [XYZ things that I'm always talking about] in his email... I mean, did he ever read any of my stuff?" The blogger feels disrespected and treated like a number. So they hit delete and don't give it a second thought.

The reason for customizing your email pitch is to hook into something that they've said that you have in common. Maybe it's a sports team that they've mentioned. Maybe it's something you can tell they really care about, which ties into your app. Maybe you're just taking the time to treat them like a real person. People know the difference when you're demonstrating a genuine interest in them.

Ok thanks. This is the issue I have, I look at other examples they are long then I look at some that are short. How am I supposed to know which one to pick? Not just for this but learning in general. And the only way I find out if I'm making a mistake is if I ask someone. Am I doing something wrong? I think about other people how they achieved certain things, even pitching an email it's just like they know how to do it, I'm guessing I'm missing something?
It's hard to do any new thing that you're unfamiliar with, but I think you are on the right track with what you're doing. You've read some advice, written a template with the basic structure of how you'll send your pitch, and realized that you need to show these bloggers the value of what you're doing. It's not that you're missing something. I think it's fair to say that most people find this kind of thing difficult to do, and even experienced copywriters don't always do it well.

The challenge is to grab someone's attention, evoke their curiosity, communicate a promise, and convince them to respond to you, all in the fewest words possible (because they're busy). Sending them a canned email is sort of like walking up to the MC of a live event and handing him a flyer that you're hoping he will read to the crowd. How could you do some legwork ahead of time to get that MC to realize who you are, like you, trust you, and want to help you out by using their platform to share your message with their crowd? Yes, the core message is the same for each pitch, but the details are what make or break each piece of individual outreach. If you can, think of a way you'd do this in real life (take them out to dinner? meet them before the event? send them a sports jersey for their favorite team?). Can you emulate those steps in the virtual world?

It's more costly in time, effort, and money to go about it this way, but there's no shortcut for making authentic connections with people. Authenticity and genuine connection will make them want to hear more about you. When you work hard to generate goodwill, it stands out. And it pays off. All the best with your outreach (and your app)!

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
They aren't going to want any content that is a full feature ad for your product.

It needs to be an informative article that is relevant to your niche. Your product can be mentioned in the article. The article just can't be about your product. Make sense?
Yep makes complete sense, thanks. I just got an image in my mind of what it should look like.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
You may have already sent out your outreach, but I just wanted to provide an idea for this - Research the names of journalists who have written about a similar app. Then reach out to them with something like this: "Hey [name], I found your recent coverage of [the other app] really interesting and insightful. I wondered if you would consider reviewing [my app] too. It's for [target audience] and it [basic description / value prop that they'll find intriguing]. Let me know if you'd like to collaborate on this. [your signoff].

Put yourself in the blogger's shoes. Imagine that you get dozens of these pitches a week. The storyline in your head goes something like this: "I can't believe this guy just sent me this canned email. He doesn't even know ANYTHING about me. If he did, he would have mentioned at least ONE of these [XYZ things that I'm always talking about] in his email... I mean, did he ever read any of my stuff?" The blogger feels disrespected and treated like a number. So they hit delete and don't give it a second thought.

The reason for customizing your email pitch is to hook into something that they've said that you have in common. Maybe it's a sports team that they've mentioned. Maybe it's something you can tell they really care about, which ties into your app. Maybe you're just taking the time to treat them like a real person. People know the difference when you're demonstrating a genuine interest in them.

It's hard to do any new thing that you're unfamiliar with, but I think you are on the right track with what you're doing. You've read some advice, written a template with the basic structure of how you'll send your pitch, and realized that you need to show these bloggers the value of what you're doing. It's not that you're missing something. I think it's fair to say that most people find this kind of thing difficult to do, and even experienced copywriters don't always do it well.

The challenge is to grab someone's attention, evoke their curiosity, communicate a promise, and convince them to respond to you, all in the fewest words possible (because they're busy). Sending them a canned email is sort of like walking up to the MC of a live event and handing him a flyer that you're hoping he will read to the crowd. How could you do some legwork ahead of time to get that MC to realize who you are, like you, trust you, and want to help you out by using their platform to share your message with their crowd? Yes, the core message is the same for each pitch, but the details are what make or break each piece of individual outreach. If you can, think of a way you'd do this in real life (take them out to dinner? meet them before the event? send them a sports jersey for their favorite team?). Can you emulate those steps in the virtual world?

It's more costly in time, effort, and money to go about it this way, but there's no shortcut for making authentic connections with people. Authenticity and genuine connection will make them want to hear more about you. When you work hard to generate goodwill, it stands out. And it pays off. All the best with your outreach (and your app)!
Thanks for that wealth of information. Every blogger/youtuber whoever it is I watch a bit of their content and try cater it towards their channel. One mistake I made before was not following up multiple times, didn't do it at all. But recently when I followed up they surprisingly replied. Also when you said "It's hard to do any new thing that you're unfamiliar with" I think my problem here which I just thought of is "Learning to learn", even stuff that I'm really familiar with, I just feel lost. But I have taken a new approach which is to just take action, instead of watching 10 videos and feeling lost, I'll implement one small detail at a time until I'm comfortable with it, I think it's working my results are improving. it's probably me overthinking a lot but it's hard to tell if I am or not. Anyways thanks for all your help.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
Thanks for that wealth of information. Every blogger/youtuber whoever it is I watch a bit of their content and try cater it towards their channel. One mistake I made before was not following up multiple times, didn't do it at all. But recently when I followed up they surprisingly replied. Also when you said "It's hard to do any new thing that you're unfamiliar with" I think my problem here which I just thought of is "Learning to learn", even stuff that I'm really familiar with, I just feel lost. But I have taken a new approach which is to just take action, instead of watching 10 videos and feeling lost, I'll implement one small detail at a time until I'm comfortable with it, I think it's working my results are improving. it's probably me overthinking a lot but it's hard to tell if I am or not. Anyways thanks for all your help.
So much applause for this. I need a huge dose of that exact thing... Just take action. My default is to want to be able to write a textbook on an given task before I attempt it, and that spells death to actually getting work done. So kudos to you. "Learning to learn, and implementing one small detail at a time." I think it's fair to say that those two approaches are prerequisites for ALL entrepreneurs!

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
How does one become a blogger/influencer?
The key about being an influencer is not the platform used, but the community built around your branding/product. My girlfriend has been blogging about entrepreneurship, marketing, etc. but creating a community around a blog is really hard (people can only interact in comments, which aren't really dynamic).

She created a Facebook Group to talk about her blog and discuss entrepreneurial ideas with her readers. The group is about to hit the 20,000 members mark in the next days (it's at 19,960-something I believe as I'm typing this).

Instagram has a lot of influencers because comments aren't formal and are linked to emotions (lots of smileys).

YouTube is also a place where comments can develop easily, so the community becomes really strong (the bond made by videos showing yourself changes a lot about how your subscribers perceive you, does that make sense ?).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.