The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Manage Your Self as a Self-Employee?

EatMan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Aug 28, 2018
Hello! So after reading Unscripted and TMF , I've decided to pursue CENTS Entrepreneurship. I know what I'd like to create, and what I need to learn to create it. The end goal and the steps to get there is (quite long, but) clear.

But I have a problem: Going from a scripted college student with predetermined schedules to complete self-employment, I'm not sure how to optimally manage my time and focus. Since I don't have the technical skills (yet) to build what I want, I've just been learning relevant skills until fatigue, eating, sleeping, repeat.

There seems to be many books on "how to become a better employee", but little resources on how to grow a daily work ethic from scratch when you suddenly own 24 hours of your day.

Basic questions (which I feel should be obvious) become ambiguous; How much of my day should I dedicate to work? What should the work/break pattern look like? What should I do during breaks?

TL;DR Is there a resource that goes into self-management of the newly self-employed? (Also, any advice would be much appreciated!)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Read and Apply "The Miracle Morning" by Hal Elrod

First, create a morning routine.

Second list out your goals.

Then list out the habits to get to those goals.

Remember Habit=Cue + Routine + Reward.

Schedule these habits out.

Goal: 6-minute mile

Habit=Wake up at 5am with shoes next to alarm(Cue) + Run for 30 minutes(Routine) + Runner's high/Get faster each morning(Reward)

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
I am a big hater of Miracle Morning. The sob story ... the advice not to sleep enough (WTF?) ... it is a hustle and nothing more.

"So Good They Can't Ignore You" might be a good book to look into, but I fear that the part about how you need to acquire career capital before you buy your freedom would probably be a downer for you.

"The Power of Habit" is also a great read, but it is not a guide. It explains the findings of science ... you would need to figure out how to work with the implications.

"The ONE Thing" is probably the book that can be applied to your situation best. Also, you could look into "The First 20 Hours" which might help with a systematic, repeatable learning approach (there is also a TEDx Talk by the author).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.