The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to make a blog go viral

Marketing, social media, advertising
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 1, 2018
Philadelphia Area
Hi all,

I am relatively new to this forum and was wondering if anyone has a successful blog on here and would like to share some tips on they made it go viral. I just started mine about a week ago. I know I am relatively new, but any information would be greatly appreciated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
I assume that everyone skipped your posts because it looks like you're a new poster who's just dropping your blog link in and will never be seen again. I googled it and didn't see it anywhere else, so maybe that's not true. Either way, here's a quick answer that maybe you or someone else will find useful (if this post stays out of the landfill at least):

I think you're asking the wrong question on two levels.

First, virality is simple, just not easy. It sounds almost stupid to even say it, but I think people forget what words actually mean when they want something to "go viral". Virality only happens when people share your content, and that only happens when people derive value from the sharing of it.

Note that that doesn't just mean that you need 'great' content, whatever you think that is. You need content that makes other people feel something when they share it. I've read tons of content that I thought was really and truly great but I rarely bring it up because most people wouldn't care. But literal process of sharing is very valuable in certain cases. Maybe someone finds value in being helpful? maybe it's in being a curator? maybe it's instigating outrage? How do you do that? It's different for every situation of course... different audiences, different motivations, different timing etc.

I know you weren't asking the question that I just answered and that you'd rather have a formula, but just like everything else, the formula is situation specific and constantly changing. The closest that you're ever going to get is to just look at the most viral posts and learn from them.

Second, I took a look at your blog, and this is NOT the question you should be asking right now. What would you do if you had a post go viral and 100k people hit your site? Do you think the quality of your content and site are sufficient to convert any of them into followers or buyers? Don't get me wrong, it's great that you're taking action, and I know that your site has only been up for a week... but it LOOKS like a site that's only been up for a week. You really need to work on providing value to your users instead of chasing them.

If I'd ran across your blog in any other context, that visit would have been maybe 2 seconds, and I'd never give it another chance, assuming that I even remembered the name. I know this sounds a little harsh, but if you keep iterating and making improvements, people here will actually help and offer great feedback. Some of it may be harsh at times, but that's nowhere near the cold reality of the market.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
What purpose does your blog serve? Does the internet really need just another blog?

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
I have had a blog post and a YouTube video go viral. I planned this out. It was not an accident.

For the YouTube video:

1. Find a rabid fanbase (usually on a forum)
2. Use their inside jokes and give a subtle shoutout in your video
3. Post that video on the forum. ("This guy is a Fastlaner")
4. If it is a good video, then it will spread organically.

This depends on the forum and the reputation of the account that posts it. The one I chose was a massive forum with a big identity, so it went viral quickly.

You could do this with anything though. Make a video and make some sly pokemon references.

Then have a high rep poster post the pokemon video to a pokemon forum. If the video is good/relevant to the posters, then it will get some play.

--------------

For the blog I used more of a "King of Controversy"/any publicity is good publicity style. This won't work for every niche, but it fit my niche perfectly:

1. Find a big Facebook group about the niche.
2. Write a blogpost ATTACKING the people/idea within the niche.
3. Post the blogpost to the Facebook group (anonymously) acting offended and asking for thoughts.
4. People go nuts when they get attacked.
5. They share it to complain about it.
6. Some people see it and actually like it.
7. Those people become your readers. Even the people that hate you will still view your website, which is good in my niche. People often become what they fight.

In my blog's niche that is good because I'm not doing it for money. I just want my message in front of as many eyeballs as possible.

I don't think it would work in many niches though.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.