The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Over 100k views! Thanks to everyone who has posted on here and reached out through PM and FB. It has been a lot of fun.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kubbaaa

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Nov 9, 2016
Can someone please recommend good lawyer template? I've been searching for minimalistic/elegant one but unfortunately I can't find it.
It's for my new client.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
I do web development/design as a hobby and my dad just asked me to build a site for his business in lieu of rent (I live with my parents). I just read all 33 pages and I'm actually pretty excited to do it now. The reason?

My dad owns an accounting firm that has around 200 business clients in every industry you can imagine. Most accountants have a super crappy 1998 website and are at least open to having a more modern website. The problem is you can't bill much over 5k for a local accounting firm because the average client is under 50k/year and accountants mainly get clients via personal referral. However, if the firm has enough business clients they can be a great source of referrals for developers. People ask my dad for business referrals all day for lots of white-collar industries (lawyers, wealth management, life insurance, bookkeeping, payroll, marketing, IT support, etc.) and he refers clients in those industries.

Seriously, accountants have tons of business owner clients and those business owners ask their accountant for referrals. Do good work for an accountant and they'll reward you well. My dad has one life insurance agent that is amazing and he refers him to anyone that asks. He's probably given that agent 50k in work the past two years.

My plan is to spend a few days and build a top notch site for my dad and hopefully do some sites for his clients. I'll start cold calling the usual blue collar guys once I get my dad's site launched and use that as my portfolio piece. Now that I think about it, my friend's dad owns a national construction/fabrication company with a crappy website last updated in 2006. I know who I'm calling next before someone reading this thread finds him. I might even do some other accounting firms in the area to build out my network.

The bigger problem is finding good pictures for an accounting website :(

Skyscrapers and oil rigs are sexy.
Calculators and P&L statements aren't.

Last edited:

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
The bigger problem is finding good pictures for an accounting website :(

Skyscrapers and oil rigs are sexy.
Calculators and P&L statements aren't.

1. Models with calculators/P&Ls are sexy;)
2. Accountants work in skyscrapers and for oil rig companies - just link it.

As for the rest I had the same realisation. Accountancy firms have really bad websites. Even worse than heavy industry (but they work a lot with referrals like lawyers, web designers - don't feel a need to have one - can benefit a lot though by having it).

johnnyfriendly

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Dec 6, 2016
5k sales call. First sales call for me this year...

Some context...

- First time I have talked to this client, ever
- Also first call of the year - I am a little rusty and also was working remotely so little bit of a delay (I cut him off once or twice)
- The work was already done with solid emailing. He was already pretty much sold. Either way I always assumer the sale and talk as such
- This jobs is for a person I am helping with web development who couldn't call himself. I have been helping him put together some emails and he lined this up. He found it straight out of a google search
- We used my portfolio since I am helping him and he doesn't currently have his own. Thats what he means when he says "past sites"
- So the next step is to send a plan and a quote. This will be closed for a little below or above the 5k mark, we will go through it and do up a great plan and quote for the client
- My phone calls probably seem very relaxed and not very "saley", this works best in my experience and this is the same approach I use to close huge sales, although I am a little rusty
1f609.png

@Fox,

Simple question......you are in Colombia but predominently work with clients in the US/Canada. Is your cold-calling phone bill not exorbitant?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
@Fox,

Simple question......you are in Colombia but predominently work with clients in the US/Canada. Is your cold-calling phone bill not exorbitant?

Skype buddy. $10 a month roughly.

Vectra1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
510%
Jul 20, 2016
Northwest UK
5k sales call. First sales call for me this year...

Some context...

- First time I have talked to this client, ever
- Also first call of the year - I am a little rusty and also was working remotely so little bit of a delay (I cut him off once or twice)
- The work was already done with solid emailing. He was already pretty much sold. Either way I always assumer the sale and talk as such
- This jobs is for a person I am helping with web development who couldn't call himself. I have been helping him put together some emails and he lined this up. He found it straight out of a google search
- We used my portfolio since I am helping him and he doesn't currently have his own. Thats what he means when he says "past sites"
- So the next step is to send a plan and a quote. This will be closed for a little below or above the 5k mark, we will go through it and do up a great plan and quote for the client
- My phone calls probably seem very relaxed and not very "saley", this works best in my experience and this is the same approach I use to close huge sales, although I am a little rusty
1f609.png

Hey Rob, great call, I found myself sat here smiling while listening to the call, you made that sound soooooooooo easy, you came across great with your very relaxed none saley approach. Awesome man, love it !

PrimeLF

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 7, 2017
United States
Had a call with my first possible client today. I made a redesign over a few days and called him up and he said he'd be interested in seeing it. Not going in expecting anything other than feedback and experience. I don't plan on giving it to him for free, but I also don't plan to charge a lot for it. He also mentioned possibly having other websites so if he likes this first design it could lead to many great things!

Thank's for all the information Fox as well as everyone else that has contributed to this thread. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for all of you!

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Had a call with my first possible client today. I made a redesign over a few days and called him up and he said he'd be interested in seeing it. Not going in expecting anything other than feedback and experience. I don't plan on giving it to him for free, but I also don't plan to charge a lot for it. He also mentioned possibly having other websites so if he likes this first design it could lead to many great things!

Way to go!

Did you contact this client before making the design, and had them agree to see a new design?

Or you provided them with the new design out of the blue?

This brought me great success in the past, but with people who already had expressed interest in having their website redesigned.

PrimeLF

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 7, 2017
United States
Way to go!

Did you contact this client before making the design, and had them agree to see a new design?

Or you provided them with the new design out of the blue?

This brought me great success in the past, but with people who already had expressed interest in having their website redesigned.
I designed it before contacting them. I also have a call scheduled for Friday. Hopefully I can make my first sale!

PlamenJo

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 19, 2017
Bulgaria
Hello. Firstly I want to thank to all of the people here sharing this useful information, and my congrats on Fox for creating this thread, it's really powerful knowledge! I've been doing HTML and CSS since a month and I'm starting to get used to all of this stuff.

However, I recently experienced an annoying issue related with Brackets. In the beggining everything was going on fine, but then on one of my project files in Brackets, suddenly the live review wouldn't show all the section created(the code written). Only the header section was showing and there was no scroll button to be used, as to get to the other parts of the site.

Also, this type of problem happened to only one particular project. I tried recreating another project, but the problem continued to appear. Deleting the header, I thought, would solve it, but then only the second section was showing, and again - no scroll button. The funny part is that even when I deleted the whole HTML code, in the live preview, the header section was still there.

Since I had just finished the Udemy course, the project of it was still saved , and in there everything was without an issue, and working - all sections were appearing.

I searched in Google and in Youtube for my kind of problem, but all the solutions suggested didn't work or were irrelevant. I hope I can get some help in here, althought my post is not related to the thread, I thank you all in advance!

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
@PlamenJo programming questions might better be answered on a site like stackoverflow.

Also, with web development you can expect that things won't always go smoothly, one needs to be willing to try and figure things. It's not all that simple as it may seem.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hello. Firstly I want to thank to all of the people here sharing this useful information, and my congrats on Fox for creating this thread, it's really powerful knowledge! I've been doing HTML and CSS since a month and I'm starting to get used to all of this stuff.

However, I recently experienced an annoying issue related with Brackets. In the beggining everything was going on fine, but then on one of my project files in Brackets, suddenly the live review wouldn't show all the section created(the code written). Only the header section was showing and there was no scroll button to be used, as to get to the other parts of the site.

Also, this type of problem happened to only one particular project. I tried recreating another project, but the problem continued to appear. Deleting the header, I thought, would solve it, but then only the second section was showing, and again - no scroll button. The funny part is that even when I deleted the whole HTML code, in the live preview, the header section was still there.

Since I had just finished the Udemy course, the project of it was still saved , and in there everything was without an issue, and working - all sections were appearing.

I searched in Google and in Youtube for my kind of problem, but all the solutions suggested didn't work or were irrelevant. I hope I can get some help in here, althought my post is not related to the thread, I thank you all in advance!

Hey man welcome to the forum, I would contact Brackets directly. There is so much to code that it does help to learn how to solve those issues yourself, I prefer to focus more on the business mindset and approach. I am sure they will be happy to help you. Stick around and post some more.

PrimeLF

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 7, 2017
United States
I designed it before contacting them. I also have a call scheduled for Friday. Hopefully I can make my first sale!
Just got off the phone so i decided I should leave an update. I learned I have trouble driving the conversation, sometimes I get stuck without knowing what to say or not knowing what questions / answers to provide. I talked with the scheduled call and it went well, he agree's that he needs a new website and I plan to email him some ideas and what we can do to improve it. He's very casual and easy to talk to which makes this awkward experience MUCH easier. Regardless of making a sale I'm very thankful that I've gotten to talk with him because he knows I'm young and new and he's glad to discuss it with me even though I'm not the best salesman.

My question for you all is what type of questions should I ask? By asking what they want their website to do for them I get an idea of the layout, but what if they just say "make me more sales" is it total free reign and I decide what would be best? What other questions are good to ask and WHY? Is it all for trying to find the value for your pricing?

I'll update again with an update when we discuss the ideas over an email.

tincho1492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 7, 2011
Uruguay
My question for you all is what type of questions should I ask? By asking what they want their website to do for them I get an idea of the layout, but what if they just say "make me more sales" is it total free reign and I decide what would be best? What other questions are good to ask and WHY? Is it all for trying to find the value for your pricing?

This article will give you some ideas on how to frame the conversation towards a value-based perspective:

“If you’ve ever been in the dark about how you should approach talking with a new client for the first time, I think you’ll really get a lot out of what’s below.”

How To Socratically Question New Project Leads - Double Your Freelancing

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
So I started this a little over a week ago, spending as much of my free time as possible going through the lessons. I also purchased a book to use as reference whenever I can't be in front of my computer.

This may or may not lead to the FL, but oddly enough, that's not what's on my mind as I am going through the lessons. I'm finding that, even though I have no previous experience, I can learn a new skill and I am actually enjoying it!! I used to be so event driven that I would lose patience and quit because the end result felt so far down the road. Now I'm kicking myself because I didn't start sooner, but I won't dwell on that. I will continue to learn and apply that knowledge.

I may never make dime designing web pages, or I may make millions, or most likely somewhere in between, but that's not the point. I am gaining a new skill. I have learned to not focus on the event but instead, focus on the process. Most importantly, I just started doing something, and it feels great!

Thanks @Fox for starting sharing you process.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 12, 2012
I may never make dime designing web pages, or I may make millions, or most likely somewhere in between, but that's not the point. I am gaining a new skill. I have learned to not focus on the event but instead, focus on the process. Most importantly, I just started doing something, and it feels great!
I happy for you, keep going.
However the real process begins when you start cold calling, networking, advertising. That's when you will be foced out of your comfort zone. That's the most important factor whether you will succeed or not.

Good luck!

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
I happy for you, keep going.
However the real process begins when you start cold calling, networking, advertising. That's when you will be foced out of your comfort zone. That's the most important factor whether you will succeed or not.

Good luck!

Thanks, I totally get it. I hesitated on posting it because I know it can easily be interpreted as an action fake. This is clearly the easy part of the process and I really haven't learned much, if anything about entrepreneurship. Perhaps I have a case of Shiny Object Syndrome, but do feel I am making progress.

I have set some goals to keep me focused and on track and I will leverage the forum to hold me accountable. I also have the motivation of breaking free from a 50+ hour slowlane workweek to keep me going.

I also intend on joining the INSIDERS, but not until I have legitimately started a business.

kameronja

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jan 8, 2016
eg:
I noticed that your website gets an around 12,000 visitors per year and even a 1% increase in conversion rate can get you 120 interested prospects and over (120*profit of 1 sale*.1)$

. .. ..[/QUOTE]

How do you find this information? Can you please explain? how do you know web analytics of a website if it is not your own?

Chimp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 30, 2016

johnnyfriendly

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Dec 6, 2016
I always use Freshbooks.

Hi @Fox

You say you use Freshbooks but I've looked up Freshbooks and it seems that it is only accounting software as in it creates invoices to be sent to your customer. How do you actually get paid? Do you have a corporation bank account that they transfer the money into? Do you operate as a sole trader? Do they pay it into your PayPal account? Also do you pay yourself a salary and income tax on that salary? In essence how does the money get from the customer straight into your hand? Thnx.

PrimeLF

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 7, 2017
United States
Hi @Fox

You say you use Freshbooks but I've looked up Freshbooks and it seems that it is only accounting software as in it creates invoices to be sent to your customer. How do you actually get paid? Do you have a corporation bank account that they transfer the money into? Do you operate as a sole trader? Do they pay it into your PayPal account? Also do you pay yourself a salary and income tax on that salary? In essence how does the money get from the customer straight into your hand? Thnx.
Freshbook invoices actually allow your customers to pay through that invoice. You can read more about it here: Accept Credit Card Payments Online Free Trial | FreshBooks
I'm assuming he gets the payment into Paypal or he transfers it to his bank account.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hi @Fox

As said above Freshbooks creates an online payable invoice.

It goes through Stripe into my business account (I am a real business). I am a Ltd company in Canada.

For you it will depend on where you live and how you want to set yourself up.

BigSheep29

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
900%
Feb 13, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
Hey everyone, I wanted to write in. I am just beginning at this from a development end but have a lot of experience in sales so thought I would share some value on how to keep the sales rolling in.

1.) Prospect Every day.

This means that you should be googling companies, finding numbers, and calling new people every day. The consistency in doing this will lead to more consistent sales over time and you won't experience the "Boom and busts" of an average business/salesperson.

2.) Research at night, call during the day

It's super important to user your time wisely. Do the googling and making lists of people to call at night, and use normal business hours to make phone calls. This optimizes your time as your clients will be picking up the phone from 7am-6pm, so you want to spend that time dialing not googling.

3.) Create email templates

Makes it very easy to send emails to folks you are interested in but wont pick up the phone. This is possible in gmail and will save you a ton of time.

4.) Sales is a Process, Play the Numbers

Sales is a process, and like any process there needs to be input to get an output. As an example, ff I make 80 calls in a day maybe 8 people will pick up and I can get 2 people to want to move forward with interest. So that is essentially 1/40 calls get you to a potential sale. If you are skipping your dials/emails then it is easy to see how the amount of leads/opportunities/sales you will get will dramatically decline.

Just keep dialing/mailing people, tweaking your process, be disciplined/consistent, and the opportunities will present themselves.

Hope that is helpful to some who have not done much sales in the past.

Expect me to reach out for dev help ;)

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
Hey I'm still halfway through the thread but I saw some of you wanting to record Skype conversations and/or your computer screen.

Check OBS Studio, it's an amazing free open source multi platform program used to record from different sources and/or to do live streams.

It's mainly aimed towards gamers but you can use it for any kind of recordings. And it's because its main strength is gaming that it has many powerful features that you won't even find on other more "serious" commercial programs like using your GPU to record the footage with high bitrates an minimal performance impact.

Edit: Sometimes Skype gives problems with the audio and a good way to solve them is using Voicemeeter, a free audio mixer.

And if you want to edit the footage, you have a professional grade NLE for free too: DaVinci Resolve.

Last edited:

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
OK I read it all :)

I'm totally wowed by all the info there is here, thank you very much!

This might be helpful for anyone with absolute 0 budget and/or for the first weeks when you're learning.

You don't need hosting, you can use your computer as a server, install WAMP/LAMP/MAMP.

And when you have a decent website you can record a walkthrough on video, upload it to Youtube and send it to your first potential customers.

If you want them to go to the website they could even visit it if you send them your public IP, you may have to change the port forwarding on your router though.

The thing is, there is NO excuse to make this work even if you have 0 money, 0 experience or 0 knowledge.

Edit: I forgot to say that there is another awesome site to learn coding: Learn Code The Hard Way.

Last edited:

kubbaaa

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Nov 9, 2016
How long does finalization of sale takes for you?
I have 3 clients, who signed the contract, and another 3 interested, but they do everything very slowly.
One sale is open for 3 months (!!!) - I had a few meetings with him, he told me that I could do 2 more sites etc.
I'm waiting for text, images from 2 of my clients (2 weeks and 1-2 months (he actually paid me 50% in advance))

3 people, who are interested in buying site, postpone telephone call (they are busy or "I'll call you tommorow").

Next time, I will add in mail, with images how they site could look like, (cold-call first) information, that if contract was singed until (~2 weeks?) I will offer one month free to make changes on the site.

JakeVW

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jul 27, 2016
I see a lot of people talking about contracts here and on the FB group, and I don't recall seeing one posted in this thread. Is there just a general contract online or something you have them sign? I don't totally understand what they are signing on the contract, isn't the upfront money guarantee enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Young-Gun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Mar 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Hey everyone, I wanted to write in. I am just beginning at this from a development end but have a lot of experience in sales so thought I would share some value on how to keep the sales rolling in.

1.) Prospect Every day.

This means that you should be googling companies, finding numbers, and calling new people every day. The consistency in doing this will lead to more consistent sales over time and you won't experience the "Boom and busts" of an average business/salesperson.

2.) Research at night, call during the day

It's super important to user your time wisely. Do the googling and making lists of people to call at night, and use normal business hours to make phone calls. This optimizes your time as your clients will be picking up the phone from 7am-6pm, so you want to spend that time dialing not googling.

3.) Create email templates

Makes it very easy to send emails to folks you are interested in but wont pick up the phone. This is possible in gmail and will save you a ton of time.

4.) Sales is a Process, Play the Numbers

Sales is a process, and like any process there needs to be input to get an output. As an example, ff I make 80 calls in a day maybe 8 people will pick up and I can get 2 people to want to move forward with interest. So that is essentially 1/40 calls get you to a potential sale. If you are skipping your dials/emails then it is easy to see how the amount of leads/opportunities/sales you will get will dramatically decline.

Just keep dialing/mailing people, tweaking your process, be disciplined/consistent, and the opportunities will present themselves.

Hope that is helpful to some who have not done much sales in the past.

Expect me to reach out for dev help ;)

This is great practical advice, and perfectly mirrors my current experience as I'm doing research / pre-sales / Customer Development for my SaaS startup.

Prospect at night (use time wisely), make a HUGE list of potential contects (play the numbers).
Use email templates (yup!)
Prospect every day (in my case I do outreach 3 days a week because I'm using the other 4 to learn coding)
Persistence is key.

Hey, if you have a chance to join my SaaS progress thread, I'd love your input.
Sounds like you definitely know what you're talking about :)

Young-Gun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Mar 8, 2014
Austin, TX
OK I read it all :)

I'm totally wowed by all the info there is here, thank you very much!

This might be helpful for anyone with absolute 0 budget and/or for the first weeks when you're learning.

You don't need hosting, you can use your computer as a server, install WAMP/LAMP/MAMP.

And when you have a decent website you can record a walkthrough on video, upload it to Youtube and send it to your first potential customers.

If you want them to go to the website they could even visit it if you send them your public IP, you may have to change the port forwarding on your router though.

The thing is, there is NO excuse to make this work even if you have 0 money, 0 experience or 0 knowledge.

Edit: I forgot to say that there is another awesome site to learn coding: Learn Code The Hard Way.

I agree, learn Code the Hard Way is a fantastic resource.

I'm using that site to learn Python coding for FREE.
The author has a fantastic style imo. A good mix of seriousness and humor.
A balance of guided study and self-exploration.
Partially hands-on, partially theoretical.

Highly recommended.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.