The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months

Ray Goslin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Dec 13, 2016
It has taken me a long time to have time to create this thread and for that I apologize. I have been getting PMs for months and while I helped a lot of you out with detailed responses I wanted to start a thread so everyone would have access to the same information.

*** This isn't exact Fastlane, at least not in the beginning, but its a great way to earn 5 figures a month, learn the skills to create and run your own FL business while building a network of top business people***

Back at the beginning of the year I packed up everything I owned in Canada and moved to South America. I was keen to make enough income to stay down there while also building my own Fastlane business. Problem was I had no online skills, no idea what to do and have never ran a successful business before.

I just launched my business last week and I am still down here living happily so I guess I could say things have gone very well. Hopefully this information helps others achieve similar success and allows them to start pursuing their dreams.

So first things first:

- I started with zero coding knowledge in January of this year. I didn't know how to host a website, I didn't know what HTML or CSS was, I made a tonne of really basic mistakes and figured it all out by myself. I didn't take any expensive courses, had no mentors and probably only spent a few hundred dollars getting set up.

It took me a while to refine my niche but what I now focus on is building simple yet powerful websites that get huge results. No crazy interactive code, no fancy graphics, just simple, clean, professional websites that add huge value to the clients who hire me.

In the last few months I have
- built a website that landed a $1 million pus contract for the guys who hired me (they hadn't worked in over 8 months - oil company)
- built a website that helped get a pro athlete into a world tournament and increased pay from his sponsors (social media profile increase)
- Built a website that has a lawyer making over 1k a week on consultations

While I made good money on these websites its nice to know that the value I added is many times more and all my clients have been very satisfied.

I am still in the early stages of figuring this all out though so as this thread goes along I will still update with what I am learning and what has changed. Right now my problem is scaling, I need more top sales people on the ground selling websites for me. I will come back to this in another post maybe.

So how to begin:

So todays lesson is on how to get started at the very start. You know nothing and you want to get in on this action too. Some quick notes - I build "custom" HTML websites 99% of the time, I don't use wordpress except in some rare cases for add on blog/news sections to my sites. Why? Most of my clients are very busy, non tech people. They don't want or have time to update their websites. They want it built well and they want it to run itself. HTML is a lot better for this and when done right looks way more professional.

How to begin with HTML:

Take the HTML and CSS lessons on https://www.codecademy.com/.

You can also do the JS section but I didn't and have been just fine.

Next take the following UDEMY course:

https://www.udemy.com/design-and-develop-a-killer-website-with-html5-and-css3/

After this you will now know how to edit and work with HTML themes. What does that mean?

Well there is no point creating a website from scratch. That takes years of coding experience and a lot of time for each new clients. Luckily enough people have gone and created HTML themes - its an already coded website where you just rearrange, switch out the pictures and text and add in a few extra bits (I will show how to do all of this at a later stage).

An example of a theme is here...

https://themeforest.net/item/foundry-multipurpose-html-variant-page-builder/11562108?s_rank=9

It just a blank slate with a certain style that you work with. While this may seem like strange or cheating (I thought this was how to learn to build websites!??) its not. Anyone with an internet can create a website these days so that is not where we will be adding value. We add value by building a website with a purpose. We want to build websites that get results and make money, or whatever they are trying to achieve, for the owner.

So how do you build a website that gets great results?

Good question.

As @Andy Black would say you want sales not a website. I am going to meet him half way with you want to build a website that gets sales. Not a website that looks amazing, has cool videos and sections, talks about the companies recent gold tournament or how they really wanted to do X since they were 5. Now it might do one or all of these things but only IF it helps gets sales.

Every page, link, click and action on the website is to help facilitate the growth of the company and sales.

Lets take for example an immigration lawyer website...

Is the goal of the site to teach you about immigration law?
Is it to show you stats of work, trade and education within the country?
Is it to teach you about what to do when you first arrive, what to pack, what to expect?

No.

The whole purpose of that website is for the user to either book a consultation or contact them regarding their services. Which both lead to that person hiring them as their immigration lawyer.

Now it might use some of the above to help with that goal but it only has one main purpose. Everything we do for that client must help with that goal or if it doesn't help... be removed.

You are going to learn to take the value of threads of here regarding copywriting, sales and the Fastlane Mindset and apply it other peoples businesses to help them achieve massive results. This just happens to take the form of a website. You are really selling sales and results.

Once you sell results there is no limit to what you can charge and achieve.

If you have read all this and want to start follow the above links, compete them fully and then follow along with the next stages. There will be a lot to cover but I will outline everything you need to know to be making over $10,000 a month with 6 months*.

*Assumes actual work ethic, being able to do some learning by yourself and filling in the gaps. I will give advice but I won't be holding anyones hand step-by-step.

Next lesson... Client selection.

Valuable info here. Thanks for sharing.
Gratefully,
Ray

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Martinv678

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 6, 2013
Front end, I don't know backends languages and they are not needed in my line of work.

Honestly this is the difference between 5-6 and 7-8 figure deals. I've worked with companies that have paid £20m+ for a whole site re-vamp. It's super helpful to know backend even if you don't want to write backend code 24/7.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Honestly this is the difference between 5-6 and 7-8 figure deals. I've worked with companies that have paid £20m+ for a whole site re-vamp. It's super helpful to know backend even if you don't want to write backend code 24/7.

Very true, and I am not trying to promote not increasing your knowledge. I hope to move into these areas eventually.
Just that it is possible to start without that much coding knowledge. Thanks.

Martinv678

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 6, 2013
Very true, and I am not trying to promote not increasing your knowledge. I hope to move into these areas eventually.

Nice, If you learn JS on the front end anyhow you can easily transition to back end using Nodejs.

gabeb1920

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Feb 1, 2016
Wollongong, Australia

I would argue that backend coding is more technically challenging and thus people are prepared to pay more for it.

Personally I prefer backend coding because I enjoy working through the logic of a system much more than I enjoy the frontend design. I very much favor function over form. I guess everyone just has different strengths :)

Just that it is possible to start without that much coding knowledge. Thanks.

Exactly right! It's so easy to get stuck in learning the next thing or the latest technology but the amount of knowledge we need to get started is very low. A week working through the Udemy course @Fox mentioned previously and you already know more than 99% of business owners. Now you can get started and get paid while you learn new technologies! :)

Martinv678

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 6, 2013
I would argue that backend coding is more technically challenging and thus people are prepared to pay more for it.

Not sure about that. People pay for the product... If you say i'm going to build you a simple HTML / CSS site when I do all the work then they will get paid for that. If you build someone a fully fledged platform with proper security, article upload, product upload etc and bespoke features then they are paying more for those features and the platform. In theory the code has nothing to do with it.

gabeb1920

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Feb 1, 2016
Wollongong, Australia
Not sure about that. People pay for the product... If you say i'm going to build you a simple HTML / CSS site when I do all the work then they will get paid for that. If you build someone a fully fledged platform with proper security, article upload, product upload etc and bespoke features then they are paying more for those features and the platform. In theory the code has nothing to do with it.

True. And for a lot of businesses a HTML/CSS site with no backend code would be a better option than a fully fledged site and so a simple site would be worth more to them.

I guess I am thinking along the lines of supply and demand and barriers to entry. If you would agree that backend coding is more challenging then it would generally mean higher barriers for someone to offer that as a service and in turn that there are less people offering the service.

Assuming reasonable demand with lower supply then you should be able to charge more for backend coding work.

Maybe I'm falling back into hourly rate pricing and not value/product based pricing?

Tyler1137

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
500%
Dec 16, 2016
Hey @Fox,

I just want to say thank you for this thread. I recently stumbled upon TFLF while oddly enough trying to discover what Tai Lopez did to make his money. I found this truly GOLD thread and it has given me the info and the spark that I've been looking for. I have always had an interest in website design but never the drive to act on educating myself (Growing up on a farm, computer tech would never be spoken about at the dinner table). I have taken your advice and started the classes on Codecademy and I will be starting the Udemy course next week after I sell some things. Being the ripe young age of 20 I hit that point where the weight of wanting and needing to make a mark in the world crashed full force upon my shoulders. Reading this thread gave me that spark in my mind and made me realize that this is something that I can achieve. I'm currently at uni working on my engineering degree, but if I can supplement that with web design and use that to venture into other ideas that I have had, it makes it a can't miss opportunity. Taking your advice I have already compiled a list of 20+ companies in my local area in desperate need of a new website. Being in Montana, our tech is somewhat lacking. Sorry for the long winded reply, I just wanted to say thank you for this thread and thank you for giving me that spark and the knowledge that what I had wanted to do for a while now is actually feasible. I'll try to post updates along the way if anyone is interested and maybe even some sites when I get there to get your feedback and feedback from others who are trying the same thing! All criticism is constructive in my mind. Thanks again!

-Tyler

Chimp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 30, 2016

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey @Fox,

I just want to say thank you for this thread. I recently stumbled upon TFLF while oddly enough trying to discover what Tai Lopez did to make his money. I found this truly GOLD thread and it has given me the info and the spark that I've been looking for. I have always had an interest in website design but never the drive to act on educating myself (Growing up on a farm, computer tech would never be spoken about at the dinner table). I have taken your advice and started the classes on Codecademy and I will be starting the Udemy course next week after I sell some things. Being the ripe young age of 20 I hit that point where the weight of wanting and needing to make a mark in the world crashed full force upon my shoulders. Reading this thread gave me that spark in my mind and made me realize that this is something that I can achieve. I'm currently at uni working on my engineering degree, but if I can supplement that with web design and use that to venture into other ideas that I have had, it makes it a can't miss opportunity. Taking your advice I have already compiled a list of 20+ companies in my local area in desperate need of a new website. Being in Montana, our tech is somewhat lacking. Sorry for the long winded reply, I just wanted to say thank you for this thread and thank you for giving me that spark and the knowledge that what I had wanted to do for a while now is actually feasible. I'll try to post updates along the way if anyone is interested and maybe even some sites when I get there to get your feedback and feedback from others who are trying the same thing! All criticism is constructive in my mind. Thanks again!

-Tyler

Hey welcome to the forum. There are so many good threads on here that you should check out that have plenty of knowledge that can be applied to this too. Stick around and check out the Gold threads and maybe the "introductory" thread too. Welcome aboard!

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
Wowsas. Someone actually fixed this horrid site:

before: https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20160310101654/http://envirosurfaceremovers.com

after: http://envirosurfaceremovers.com/

I assume it was someone from the forum too. Props to whoever did it.

It's not the prettiest looking site but as long as you're moving forward...
You can see in the footer that it's actually the same company who changed it ;)
For some reason they thought grey was a good color for the navigation font.

Just finished some work on a wordpress site thanks to @Fox 's FB group. Helped someone out and because it went well, when he needed more help, he came to me again. A great way to add value and earn some bucks :)
This made me realize how awful I'm finding WordPress though. With HTML and a simple code editor, you can easily change anything on your site.
Info in the footer? Sure, it's probably at the bottom. Just ctrl+f and find the word you want to change, or the layout, and done.
With WordPress, for some reason, all the information is spread everywhere.
Footer information can be changed in the "Customize Theme" page, but the header has to be changed via "Theme Options". No clear indication on where certain info from the body is, impossible to find out how to change the text of a button, etc etc. Want to remove something from the header slider? No can do, unless you figure out a workaround through custom CSS for that page, putting the div to display:none.

It might just have been the theme but holy crap, how I love the simplistic code editing way of webdesign.

Mr.Donnerhuhn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Aug 2, 2015
This made me realize how awful I'm finding WordPress though. With HTML and a simple code editor, you can easily change anything on your site.
Info in the footer? Sure, it's probably at the bottom. Just ctrl+f and find the word you want to change, or the layout, and done.
With WordPress, for some reason, all the information is spread everywhere.
Footer information can be changed in the "Customize Theme" page, but the header has to be changed via "Theme Options". No clear indication on where certain info from the body is, impossible to find out how to change the text of a button, etc etc. Want to remove something from the header slider? No can do, unless you figure out a workaround through custom CSS for that page, putting the div to display:none.

It might just have been the theme but holy crap, how I love the simplistic code editing way of webdesign.

In my internship we worked with WordPress on every site. Here was my "easy" solution for making those sorts of changes.

1) Use inspector to find the chunk of HTML code surrounding the text you want to change
2) Via FTP, download a backup of the entire WP theme
3) Search within the folder containing the backup for the string of code you're looking to change. You'll need be sure your computer is set to index file contents so that you can search within the files en masse http://lifehacker.com/set-windows-10-to-search-all-file-contents-with-this-se-1733511735
4) Now you know what code to change, and where to find it in the file hierarchy for WP. So make the change and refresh the page
5) Pray to the god's you haven't broken the entire site

EN_VY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Sep 28, 2012
Houston
^^^
I use Firefox as my main browser and have an add on called firebug. You right click and object, inspect with firebug and it will show you the code. You can make changes from there. Many themes have a custom CSS panel, so what you do is modify the code while inspecting it with firebug (it wont save it). Then you cope and paste that into the custom css portion of your theme.

Chimp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 30, 2016
My issue is finding clients that will pay over 3K for a website. Average is 2K for a website, although I do upsell them on marketing. I come here and see some are charging 5-10K for a website. I need to step up my sales game.
Could I know who you're selling to? Like to a mom and pops resteraunt or to construction companies? It could help me give you an answer.

EN_VY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Sep 28, 2012
Houston
Could I know who you're selling to? Like to a mom and pops resteraunt or to construction companies? It could help me give you an answer.

I don't sell to small restaurants. I have built websites for diff. businesses.. Some of them have been, lawyers, signage shops, print shops,staffing companies, heck even small niche like food truck builder. Mind you some of these have been 12 page websites.

I think I read Fox charges 2K for a pager! I also tailor the website to the need of the client, like down to the tee.

Maybe my issue is that most of my new clients have been referred by previous clients, which are used to what I quoted them.

Chimp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 30, 2016
\I think I read Fox charges 2K for a pager!\

I'm almost certain you know this already but just incase I'll repeat it. The reason he charges that is because of the value that one pager provides for the client. If that one page sells an elephant cage that costs $20,000 you can easily justify 2k.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I'm almost certain you know this already but just incase I'll repeat it. The reason he charges that is because of the value that one pager provides for the client. If that one page sells an elephant cage that costs $20,000 you can easily justify 2k.

Its not always the case. Depends on the job. For a smaller client that just wouldn't make sense - no ROI for them.

But yes the end goal is to move up to jobs that have this type of potential ROI. I find the bigger sites easier nowadays. I think within a few months I won't go below $10,000. I want to only do 10-20 sites a year at $10,000 - 30,000. Thats the goal for 2017.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
My issue is finding clients that will pay over 3K for a website. Average is 2K for a website, although I do upsell them on marketing. I come here and see some are charging 5-10K for a website. I need to step up my sales game.

Its not just me, lots of people I am teaching are moving into 5+ range. Go for bigger companies, with larger sites and more revenue.

Don't try max out a lower niche, go right to the big niches and aim for lower guys. Then when you get some results its easier to move up.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I will be starting a new 2017 thread quite soon. It has nearly been a year since I started, this time last year I was just after moving and still getting set up with internet etc. It has been a crazy and fun first year but I would like to make a thread on the next stage: scaling.

I feel like this thread covers all the bases on how to get started and I will still update it/answer questions. The info here covers how to get from zero up to 10-15k a month. I now want to focus more on getting from 15k to 50k a month.

EN_VY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Sep 28, 2012
Houston

I get that, I guess they have to already have to be getting traffic for them to see the picture, which has already been stated.

Fredyisgold

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Sep 21, 2016
LA
Tengo un gran examen de español de hoy.

I will get back to everyones PMs and posts soon. Gracias amigos.

Tengo un gran examen haor
I've read all the pages in this thread but still have a question. I see your main service is to not only to design a website but to draw customers into purchasing the site owner's product/service. Where do I learn this skill? Like how to successfully make call to actions, funneling, etc.? thank you!
CA$HVERTISING is a start

Chimp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 30, 2016
Oh my god. I've been working on ONE very minor error in my sites code for over 3 hours tonight. It's only 12:30 a.m. but I feel like like i've been working for ever. There's been a lot of frustration tonight and I'm not even sure how I fixed the error but thank christ it's fixed. The error was something as simple looking as 3 hero images not resizing correctly on mobile screen sizes and there being a big black bar on the topside of the image. Three hours to fix it. That's not a lot compared to the people who grind here for real but this is my first taste of seemingly endless pain. It's nuts how crazy something so simple can just gnaw at your brain.

I post this here because I thought I'd never fix it. Some stupid html error being corrected felt like I just climbed to the top of a mountain I couldn't see the top of, that's how much relief I felt. Now it seems like I'm hyperbolising but for real, thank god it's done and over with. I know 100% without the book, the forum, and this thread I would've given up on this entire site just because of the simple error. I know now that if I keep working on a problem it'll be fixed sooner or later.

Road1996

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 15, 2016
New York
You can literally learn the basic syntax of HTML and CSS (structure and style of a site) in a day - enough to know how and what to edit to make desired changes, looking up certain properties, etc. as needed.

From there, I would learn jQuery (a JavaScript library that makes adding animations/interactivity to a site easier) if you still want to learn more. Although if you're building on WordPress, you usually can make desired customizations with themes, plugins, and a little bit of custom HTML/CSS, while outsourcing the stuff beyond this that you can't do.

Note: I know @Fox recommends straight HTML templates - once you know a little about sites, you can decide for yourself which you want to go with and why. I personally prefer WordPress (but only with the right premium themes and tools/plugins). I have the StudioPress "Pro Plus All-Theme Package" (http://my.studiopress.com/pro-plus/) and have started using the Genesis framework with BeaverBuilder (and the Dambuster plugin) as per @codo3500 's recommendation, and you can customize virtually even aspect of a site with almost no code, although this set up makes it very easy to make custom changes using CSS and JS if necessary. Even if you know how to code, I've found this set up to be faster.

If you still want to learn more, I'd go to JavaScript and learn different languages/frameworks that you can build web apps with; however, the learning curve increases significantly at this point - you're making the transition here from web design to web development pretty much.

So to answer your question....maybe 1-2 weeks for what you'd need initially to get started. While you won't usually need to code anyway, it's good to know if you're doing this stuff.

Hi,

Would you mind linking me to @codo3500 forum post where he talked about using the Genesis framework with BeaverBuilder? I'm very new to this whole thing, so I'd like to know the best approach to begin learning how to web design after learning HTML and CSS. Thanks for your time.

Road1996

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 15, 2016
New York
I did a job recently with a WP back-end and used the WordPress REST API (Version 2) plugin to open my data.
Used an HTML template and jQuery/AJAX to pull the JSON from the plugin.

End result was a lightning fast website with an easy to use backend for the client. I white label all my WP installs as well. People like seeing their logo up top.

Using this system you can use any HTML template as a WP front.

EDIT: Make sure if you do this to not use shortcodes.

Hi,

Thank you for all these posts. Would you mind sharing what exactly you did on learning how to use WP templates, plugins, and integrating JQuery and everything onto a site? I'm on the learning phase right now and would love to know what resources you've used to become more adept. I'm almost done learning HTML and CSS currently. Thanks for your time.

DanielB

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Dec 1, 2016
Bucharest, Romania
Thank you Fox for this thread. I've jumped right into learning HTML and CSS, I'm halfway through that Udemy tutorial you've recommended. Where I'm from, even 5k/month is a HUGE amount of money, and would give me the means to further pursue the Fastlane.

Once I actually get started, I would love to discuss via PM (or even here, I don't mind) about my first 1-2 web pages, to get some feedback basically. Anyway, will keep in touch. Thanks again for this thread!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hi,

Would you mind linking me to @codo3500 forum post where he talked about using the Genesis framework with BeaverBuilder? I'm very new to this whole thing, so I'd like to know the best approach to begin learning how to web design after learning HTML and CSS. Thanks for your time.

Its a thread on the inside, you will have to pay for membership. Thats a great thread and there is many more like it - well worth the price.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Thank you Fox for this thread. I've jumped right into learning HTML and CSS, I'm halfway through that Udemy tutorial you've recommended. Where I'm from, even 5k/month is a HUGE amount of money, and would give me the means to further pursue the Fastlane.

Once I actually get started, I would love to discuss via PM (or even here, I don't mind) about my first 1-2 web pages, to get some feedback basically. Anyway, will keep in touch. Thanks again for this thread!

Cool, I get a lot of PMs so this thread or the FB group is best. I am writing a blog post soon on how to get started and get to the 5k mark for 2017 so I will try link that here. Thanks for the feedback and best of luck with your plans.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Thanks again, Fox. You have inspired so many people. I am in your Facebook group, but haven't contributed much other than a few likes here and there.

I'm still sort of wrapping my head around how to approach a business that I think has a terrible website. I can feel the fear and anxiety creeping in knowing that I'm going to have to make a phone call.

I was talking to my mom today who is starting a charitable organization. I offered to build the site for her and she agreed. She has the domain, but never pursued developing it yet. This will give me the opportunity to get started at my own pace (since she's not in a hurry to have a website yet) and get a site for my portfolio!

I have a question. She is using iPower for her domain and hosting. Their FileManager isn't like the FileManager I have seen before. I use NameCheap. When I try to upload the FTP through Brackets, it's not grabbing the files. It will only grab the folders. They suggest FTP through FileZilla. I was going to contact support, but their live chat took forever so I canceled it. Any thoughts? I'm considering just looking at how to transfer her somewhere else.

Secondly, let's say I just want to develop the site and "host" it so she can see it without it actually going out to the internet. How would I privately "host" it only for her so that it doesn't get indexed?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.